• Season Wrap With Clay Hendrix

#46847  by Afurmanfan
 Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:22 pm
Thanks Dan. Was a good perspective on the changes from the 80s/90s to now, as well as the overall state of the program. Looks like we have found a QB that could make teams hesitate to put a lot of players in the box. Two freshman CBs playing the second half against Samford- they are freshman but I know that our staff likes their upside. We weren't quite good enough to make the few plays we needed this year, but the progress was obvious on the offensive side. As Clay said, pass rushers and cover guys are our most obvious personnel needs. Will look forward to seeing Jace with a year of off -season maybe getting to 185lbs and a spring and summer under his belt. I believe our 2 freshman RBs are good- a lot of young talent there. Josh and Ryan back next year. And it should be a lot more fun for the OC to call plays with a much more experienced QB, we definitely were limited in what we felt comfortable calling with the situation at QB. Sounds like we are keeping a few schollys open for transfer portal. It also sounds like our admin. realizes we need some help to be competitive with grad school coming next fall and support for the right kid in portal. I do believe we will take a QB in the portal if we find one that fits. Overall, with a freshman QB and one that is a great kid but struggled at times, we were a few plays away. The culture of this program was on display with the non stop effort by our players with no shot at the playoffs. That culture comes from the top down. We are in good hands.
AstroDin, 76MrMoto liked this
 #46849  by Affirm
 Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:38 pm
Afurmanfan wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:22 pm
Thanks Dan. Was a good perspective on the changes from the 80s/90s to now, as well as the overall state of the program. Looks like we have found a QB that could make teams hesitate to put a lot of players in the box. Two freshman CBs playing the second half against Samford- they are freshman but I know that our staff likes their upside. We weren't quite good enough to make the few plays we needed this year, but the progress was obvious on the offensive side. As Clay said, pass rushers and cover guys are our most obvious personnel needs. Will look forward to seeing Jace with a year of off -season maybe getting to 185lbs and a spring and summer under his belt. I believe our 2 freshman RBs are good- a lot of young talent there. Josh and Ryan back next year. And it should be a lot more fun for the OC to call plays with a much more experienced QB, we definitely were limited in what we felt comfortable calling with the situation at QB. Sounds like we are keeping a few schollys open for transfer portal. It also sounds like our admin. realizes we need some help to be competitive with grad school coming next fall and support for the right kid in portal. I do believe we will take a QB in the portal if we find one that fits. Overall, with a freshman QB and one that is a great kid but struggled at times, we were a few plays away. The culture of this program was on display with the non stop effort by our players with no shot at the playoffs. That culture comes from the top down. We are in good hands.
It also sounds like our admin. realizes we need some help to be competitive with grad school coming next fall and support for the right kid in portal.
So that makes me wonder: Are there some graduate degree programs that would appeal to a larger number of football transfers that Furman could get up and running by 2022 or by 2023 that would be feasible (NOT diluting any department's undergraduate focus and attention, NOT diluting in any way the overall academic reputation of Furman, and NOT requiring any large amount of university financial resources. What might those be? I don't know. Some places actually offer a masters degree in "liberal arts" (no specific area). Education graduate school (M.A.T.) is an obvious possibility, though I think we already have that or at least M.Ed. Is there any such thing as a Sports Counseling masters degree anywhere that would prepare and qualify people achieving such degree to counsel and advise college and high school athletes specifically, and would that be feasible for Furman to add in the context being considered here. These prospective graduate students coming to Furman will have already achieved their bachelor's degree and will have already experienced a great amount of sports experience while attending school; in other words, they supposedly would already know a lot about what their masters program would be covering and a lot about the athletic and academic demands on the people the degree would be preparing/credentialing them to serve in the future. Again, I am just wondering what some possibilities might be.
 #46854  by AstroDin
 Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:29 pm
I know a little about one of the new Master's programs… The Masters of Arts in Strategic Design.
I was part of a crits panel for a semester portfolio review. Excellent students, very impressed with their work.
This is somewhat of a niche program—but IMO highly attractive. Anyone thinking of pursuing anything in business would find this useful if you're a budding entrepreneur and/or have an interest in design. Programs like this could be very attractive to a student/athlete that is looking for a valuable grad school.

This program isn't what CCH is talking about. Very excited about where Furman can expand grad studies.
gman84 liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Default Avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by FurmanFan23

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.