• Samford game thread

#46697  by gofurman
 Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:19 pm
I like blitzes but they are - as announcers said, high risk and high reward. Not sure why we don’t sit back and allow 7 yard passes there. Instead we gave up a 50 yard run
 #46701  by youwouldno
 Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:25 pm
Nice to end with a win. Unfortunately the win will likely also be used to avoid making much-needed changes on the offensive side.
 #46702  by FU3
 Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:40 pm
Team hung together and didn’t mail it in at any time. I think the past few weeks have shown that this is a pretty talented group. We are just going to have to develop a real passing attack next year if we want to beat the better teams in this league. These players work so damn hard all year it is really nice they got a couple of wins to finish things off.
din23, dornb, DeepPurple and 1 others liked this
 #46703  by dornb
 Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:50 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:14 pm
Just noticed something on defense.

I don't see Blackshear. I think we're shutting down Samford's passing game with two freshman corners.
Blackshear got injured.
 #46704  by Afurmanfan
 Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:18 pm
Complete team win with true freshman qb, very young o line and offensive backfield. Was just a few plays ( or one play) away from beating the league champ.
Lost some serious pass rush with Stanfield and Sochoka going down- but shows the depth we have built on d-line also.
Obvious improvement from start of season to end. I like who we are and the trajectory of this team despite a disappointing 2021 win loss record.
Am through paying attention to those who find black lining behind every silver cloud— as hard as it is!
Go Dins!!
din23, DeepPurple liked this
 #46705  by The Jackal
 Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:30 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:25 pm
Nice to end with a win. Unfortunately the win will likely also be used to avoid making much-needed changes on the offensive side.
We made changes on the offensive side.

If you are advocating for changing coaches, why not just say it?
DeepPurple liked this
 #46708  by Furmanoid
 Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:44 pm
Pretty funny. Every week people complain that we keep running stupid plays up the middle. Now all of a sudden running up the middle is a brilliant adjustment and we should have been doing it all along.
DeepPurple, apaladin liked this
 #46709  by Affirm
 Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:52 pm
Afurmanfan wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:18 pm
Complete team win with true freshman qb, very young o line and offensive backfield. Was just a few plays ( or one play) away from beating the league champ.
Lost some serious pass rush with Stanfield and Sochoka going down- but shows the depth we have built on d-line also.
Obvious improvement from start of season to end. I like who we are and the trajectory of this team despite a disappointing 2021 win loss record.
Am through paying attention to those who find black lining behind every silver cloud— as hard as it is!
Go Dins!!
I too like who we are.
I would like who we are even if we had achieved only the 4-7 record that I projected in August (or worse).
6-5 is super.
 #46714  by purplehorse
 Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:15 pm
Always good to finish with a win.
9-9 in 2021 (3-4 and 6-5) will not be good enough in the future. Need to be competing for the Conference Championship and to get in playoffs. With the huge expectations heading into last year after an 8-5 2019 season I cannot imagine anyone being really pleased with the calendar year 2021 in Clay’s 4th and 5th years. That playoff loss to AP in 2019 was embarrassing and I don’t believe we have beaten a really good team in quite a while. Our best win this year (the fall) was either VMI or Samford.
bj93 liked this
 #46717  by DeepPurple
 Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:40 pm
Today was a gutsy win. Our guys and coaches hung tough when we went through 3 tough weeks. The folks that count don't listen to the noise of the very few who actually don't have a freaking clue; I'm sure may have never put a pad on in their life at any level. I'm proud of our crowd, they gutted it out and showed how much pride is in this program. The last two wins show what our crowd is all about. Most folks would have quit and hung it up. Furman Did Not! Go Dins!
Last edited by DeepPurple on Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gman84 liked this
 #46718  by Paul C
 Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:59 pm
A little bit better execution on 2 late game possessions in the ETSU game and the WCU game and this team is 8-3 and sharing the the SoCon championship with ETSU and Mercer and awaiting a playoff bid.

2 Possessions.

We are close and trending in the right direction after hitting a pothole in the spring.

We will be better at QB next season and have enough returning talent to think we can take a step up.
DeepPurple, Paladin82, din23 and 4 others liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Default Avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by FurmanFan23

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.