• The Current Top Of The SoCon

#45756  by Furmanoid
 Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:38 am
I know the coastal (Hampton Rds, Newport News etc) part is good, but I’m surprised our leaders in the Beltway condone football. That’s good news.

But the article I was reading said recruiting hasn’t really improved much. So they rolled along winning 1-2 games per year, losing to people like Catawba (a bad SAC team) until 2019 when they went 5-7, then 6-2 and now here they are 6-2 again. HC and DC have been there along. What changed? It appears that in 2019-20 they conducted purges of the coaching staff. They mostly brought in young guys. The new OC spent time with P5 schools and won a CC natty at QB. The new DL coach lettered 4 yrs for Notre Dame. The receiver coach was on the Liberty team that used to win the Big South. The TE special teams guy was at UT. The only new guy who didn’t play this century is the DB coach who played at Rutgers, Europe and arena in the 90’s. None seem connected to VMI or ach other until now. And Presto! They got good. That’s how they did it.
bj93, Jasper liked this
 #45770  by tim
 Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:01 pm
When I attend a game in Lexington, I have one thought. PRISON. Not that I have any experience, but that is what prison must look like. So there is that too.
 #45772  by purplehorse
 Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:01 am
In my mind there is no comparison between the strength of the Southern Conference now and in the past when the conference had Marshall (its latter years) and then App State and Ga Southern. In the 80’s we frequently were in the playoffs with 16 teams. Now rarely with 24 teams. Lots of parity now also. We are very average in a very average conference.

I can honestly see FURMAN giving up football in the future, maybe in 10-20 years.
 #45773  by Jasper
 Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:50 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:38 am
I know the coastal (Hampton Rds, Newport News etc) part is good, but I’m surprised our leaders in the Beltway condone football. That’s good news.

But the article I was reading said recruiting hasn’t really improved much. So they rolled along winning 1-2 games per year, losing to people like Catawba (a bad SAC team) until 2019 when they went 5-7, then 6-2 and now here they are 6-2 again. HC and DC have been there along. What changed? It appears that in 2019-20 they conducted purges of the coaching staff. They mostly brought in young guys. The new OC spent time with P5 schools and won a CC natty at QB. The new DL coach lettered 4 yrs for Notre Dame. The receiver coach was on the Liberty team that used to win the Big South. The TE special teams guy was at UT. The only new guy who didn’t play this century is the DB coach who played at Rutgers, Europe and arena in the 90’s. None seem connected to VMI or ach other until now. And Presto! They got good. That’s how they did it.
Good post. There is no question that coaching is the most important element at this level. It is ok for the HC to be an administrator if he knows his stuff but the staff is the important factor and that starts with the OC and the DC. They are the hands on teachers and creators. Interesting that none of the staff you mentioned wears an old school tie. Expand your horizon
 #45774  by Furmanoid
 Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:06 am
At FU right now one side of the ball is really good. The other side is struggling. Look at the O’s coaching resumes and compare to the D’s coaching resumes. See if you notice a pattern. Maybe it’s just me.

Recent Topics

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Default Avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by FurmanFan23

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.