#45046  by Affirm
 Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:35 pm
apaladin wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:00 am
affirm wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:16 pm
furpop16 wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:20 pm
As the team has solidified a reasonably competitive NCAA reputation, are there any future plans to pursue an invitation to a high-visibility early-season basketball tournament? Assuming Coach Richey would support such, are there steps JD plans to take along such lines?
The team has not “solidified a reasonably competitive NCAA reputation”. Have to beat more name opponents first and/or win a SoCon championship plus at least a first round NCAA tourney game before the word “solidified” would be appropriate,
Four straight seasons of 23, 23, 25 and 25 wins, a top 25 ranking and consistent rankings in the top 100 and sometimes top 50 in kenpom and ncaa net rankings beg to differ. IMHO you can’t base said non solidarity on one failure.
Of the 96 wins over 4 straight seasons that you cite, I doubt (but I would welcome being told a truthful number by anyone who would research the matter) that many of the 96 wins came AGAINST teams that WERE THEMSELVES (in the same season or even in the following season) participants in any “HIGH-VISIBILITY” early-season basketball tournament (i.e., how many of the 96 wins over 4 years came against teams with solid reasonably-competitive NCAA reputations?). And how many teams participate in an average year in high-profile early-season tournaments? And how many teams have been ranked in the top 25 more weeks than we have over 4 years? (We were ranked in the top 25? When? What poll(s)? Who knew?!)
… I am just saying that - though we have had good seasons for which I am grateful (and seasons which may be good enough to allow our coach to move to a significantly higher-paying school) - we still have, evidently, more work to do, and more accomplishments to achieve, to have a reputation good enough to be invited to those high-visibility early-season tournaments.
 #45048  by Furmanoid
 Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:53 pm
Between now and New Years we will get ample opportunity to show if we belong in those high visibility tourneys. The first few weeks will be intense.
 #45055  by stonemd
 Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:26 am
STAFF, WIRE REPORTS | THE GREENVILLE NEWS | 5:44 pm EST December 3, 2018

The Furman men's basketball team made history Monday when it moved into The Associated Press Top 25 for the first time, appearing at No. 25 in the national media poll.
 #45062  by Affirm
 Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:37 am
stonemd wrote:

The Furman men's basketball team made history Monday when it moved into The Associated Press Top 25 for the first time, appearing at No. 25 in the national media poll.
Thank you.
One time (one week) only? Did we stay there through December?
3 years ago.
How many teams have been in the top 25 more than one week over the last 3 years? If you can show me it’s < 40 teams, I’ll be surprised.
 #45063  by DungeonRealm
 Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:53 am
affirm wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:37 am
stonemd wrote:

Thank you.
One time (one week) only? Did we stay there through December?
3 years ago.
How many teams have been in the top 25 more than one week over the last 3 years? If you can show me it’s < 40 teams, I’ll be surprised.

Just to clarify we were ranked for 3 straight weeks in the AP Top 25, in consecutive weeks we placed as follows:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018%E2%8 ... l_rankings

Recent Topics

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.