• Coaching V talent V luck etc

#43951  by JohnKX512
 Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:44 pm
Someone mentioned that we need to escape the Furman Bubble and hire outside, while at the same time gushing over Cronic at Mercer.

We have coaches that leave for bigger or better opportunities. The problem is that there are better opportunities outside of Furman.

With the facility upgrades, increased pay, and better fan support I have seen the past year, I hope that Furman returns as the better opportunity.
FUBeAR liked this
 #43955  by FUBeAR
 Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:13 pm
[quote=JohnKX512 post_id=43951 time=1632944693 user_id=96]
Someone mentioned that we need to escape the Furman Bubble and hire outside, while at the same time gushing over Cronic at Mercer.

We have coaches that leave for bigger or better opportunities. The problem is that there are better opportunities outside of Furman.

With the facility upgrades, increased pay, and better fan support I have seen the past year, I hope that Furman returns as the better opportunity.[/quote]

Yes…and FUBeAR believes someone also said something alluding that only Furman Alums are ‘eligible’ for the Football HC job. Coach Johnson was a Clemson Alum. Coach Sheridan & Coach Satterfield were South Carolina alums. Coach Baker was a PC grad. Yes, the most recent 3 FU HC’s have been FU Alums, but when Coach Hendrix decides to retire, I’m sure those of us that support the continuity provided via the Baker/Sheridan ‘Coaching Tree’ would support (if we’re still kicking) the hiring of a non-FU Alum that is a branch of that tree.

…dang it…something is going on with my ‘quoting posts’ function…maybe not user error.
 #43963  by FUBeAR
 Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:24 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:11 pm
OK, but that means the tree limbs we look at would be Lamb limbs or Fowler limbs, right?
ImageIt’s complicated.
gman84, FU69 liked this
 #43967  by The Jackal
 Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:25 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:21 am
Can you elaborate? I’m curious. I went through part of our roster and our “stars” seem to be a mixed bag, some private school, some public. I wonder if geography is more important than public/private. I would hope that our staff analyzes all this.
I mean, go find the best players you can.

We've got kids from tiny schools and massive schools. Some are Class A programs in rural communities, some are 6A powerhouses in metro areas. Good football players can be found anywhere.
 #43969  by Furmanoid
 Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:14 am
Sure, if you believe we are getting the best players we can, and we have the best coaches we can get, then I guess there isn’t much point in talking about any of this. We will always be mediocre. The only hope would be a good root doctor or something. But that just seems defeatist to me.
 #43971  by FUBeAR
 Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:16 am
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:25 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:21 am
Can you elaborate? I’m curious. I went through part of our roster and our “stars” seem to be a mixed bag, some private school, some public. I wonder if geography is more important than public/private. I would hope that our staff analyzes all this.
Good football players can be found anywhere.
100% true in the micro. NFL rosters do include several D2, D3, and NAIA Players.

Not true at all in the macro. Alabama has 75 Players in the NFL. Hobart College has 1 Player in the NFL.

An NFL Team with 40% of their roster from Hobart-like programs, most likely, goes 0-16. An NFL Team with 40% of their roster from Alabama is, most likely, a Playoff Team.

In the macro, better HS Players are are going to come from bigger, better (more likely, public) HS programs. A college football roster is ‘in the macro.’
 #43983  by furpop16
 Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:44 am
FUBeAR wrote:
JohnKX512 wrote:

With the facility upgrades, increased pay, and better fan support I have seen the past year, I hope that Furman returns as the better opportunity.
Yes…and FUBeAR believes someone also said something alluding that only Furman Alums are ‘eligible’ for the Football HC job. Coach Johnson was a Clemson Alum. Coach Sheridan & Coach Satterfield were South Carolina alums. Coach Baker was a PC grad. Yes, the most recent 3 FU HC’s have been FU Alums, but when Coach Hendrix decides to retire, I’m sure those of us that support the continuity provided via the Baker/Sheridan ‘Coaching Tree’ would support (if we’re still kicking) the hiring of a non-FU Alum that is a branch of that tree.

…dang it…something is going on with my ‘quoting posts’ function…maybe not user error.
Fixed it (FUBeAR had removed the return and placed the close-quote on the same line as the concluding text ... it needs its own line to work).
 #43985  by FUBeAR
 Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:03 pm
furpop16 wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:44 am
FUBeAR wrote:
JohnKX512 wrote:

Fixed it (FUBeAR had removed the return and placed the close-quote on the same line as the concluding text ... it needs its own line to work).
Aha…”close quote” is not exactly a Team Player then, is it?

Thanks furpop!
furpop16 liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.