• CHANGE OF ATTITUDE, EXPECTATIONS

#43830  by apaladin
 Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:59 pm
Back when CBF was in charge I had to change my attitude about FU football. I had to just enjoy the games and drop any kind of thoughts that we were good and could compete for anything. When I adopted this attitude my stress level went way down, I am reinventing this mindset. I have to be thankful that I lived through the glory days when you would go to the games not hoping to win but wondering how much you would win by. I have to realize that those days are gone and are not coming back. It’s been 16 years since we have had a really good football team. The landscape has changed dramatically. We have 7 games left and I am going to just enjoy the games. If we win fine, if not it’s ok. I would like to beat WC and Citadel. Maybe that should be our new goal to just beat those 2 and finish around .500. I think that is doable with the current staff and team. Maybe not. It is what it is. From now on I am going to try not to get all bent out of shape over something I have no control over. I am thankful we still have a football team unlike baseall. I will continue to cheer for and support our Paladins. I feel better already. 😀
FUBeAR, gman84, dornb and 3 others liked this
 #43909  by purplehorse
 Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:12 am
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:09 pm
Saw this on twitter from Coach Lunsford at Georgia Southern (who I think was fired the week after this video), but it's a good perspective.

Oh my goodness! I am impressed with him! Easier to say than have that attitude but I think he is 100% correct. He makes up for a few Ga Southern coaches in the past who seemed to be lacking in character.
 #43910  by purplehorse
 Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:19 am
apaladin wrote:
Back when CBF was in charge I had to change my attitude about FU football. I had to just enjoy the games and drop any kind of thoughts that we were good and could compete for anything. When I adopted this attitude my stress level went way down, I am reinventing this mindset. I have to be thankful that I lived through the glory days when you would go to the games not hoping to win but wondering how much you would win by. I have to realize that those days are gone and are not coming back. It’s been 16 years since we have had a really good football team. The landscape has changed dramatically. We have 7 games left and I am going to just enjoy the games. If we win fine, if not it’s ok. I would like to beat WC and Citadel. Maybe that should be our new goal to just beat those 2 and finish around .500. I think that is doable with the current staff and team. Maybe not. It is what it is. From now on I am going to try not to get all bent out of shape over something I have no control over. I am thankful we still have a football team unlike baseall. I will continue to cheer for and support our Paladins. I feel better already. 😀
Sad that the quality of a program forces you to come up with some of the above conclusions but they are ultimately true. It is just a game but winning adds to the joys of life for sure. I am not optimistic at all about the future of Furman football. We have lost so many fans since 2005 and if we can no longer be near the top of a mediocre Southern Conference the future is not bright.
 #43919  by FUBeAR
 Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:48 am
purplehorse wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:12 am
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:09 pm
Saw this on twitter from Coach Lunsford at Georgia Southern (who I think was fired the week after this video), but it's a good perspective.

Oh my goodness! I am impressed with him! Easier to say than have that attitude but I think he is 100% correct. He makes up for a few Ga Southern coaches in the past who seemed to be lacking in character.
GaSou sux. This is an example of how much character the Team he led demonstrates…

Davemeister liked this
 #43942  by Affirm
 Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:08 pm
purplehorse wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:19 am
apaladin wrote:
Sad that the quality of a program forces you to come up with some of the above conclusions but they are ultimately true. It is just a game but winning adds to the joys of life for sure. I am not optimistic at all about the future of Furman football. We have lost so many fans since 2005 and if we can no longer be near the top of a mediocre Southern Conference the future is not bright.
You, purplehorse, are right. But we will be good enough.
Last edited by Affirm on Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
apaladin liked this
 #43944  by Affirm
 Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:10 pm
apaladin wrote:
You, apaladin, are right. But we will be good enough.
apaladin liked this
 #43945  by Affirm
 Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:21 pm
apaladin wrote:
"It's been 16 years since we have had a really good football team"?
That would have been about 2005.
I think the next year, 2006, was about when I started going to as many Furman home football games as I possibly could, every year.
From 1974 through 2005, I may have attended only about 1 (one) home Furman football game per year, and in numerous of those years, I attended zero. (I did go to games at Georgia, Clemson [many], Georgia Tech, Alabama, UofSC [many] - not versus Furman - during all of those years, in a addition going to about 1 (one) home Furman football game per year during those years).
Question: "What's the point of all the above?"
Answer(s): A. "Maybe we would get a lot better if I would just stop attending games."
B. "I should have stuck with Furman during all of those years, because look what I
missed."

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.