• Furman Preseason Previews

#42375  by The Jackal
 Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:14 pm
apaladin wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:00 pm
Jackal, I see you had to go thru several games to find a couple of decent pass plays.🤣🤣🤣
There are plenty of good pass plays. You indicated we didn't have a receiver that could beat man to man coverage, so I found a few videos that showed Furman receivers beating their man in coverage.

This is just my observation, but Ryan DeLuca is one of the toughest coverage assignments in the SoCon.
 #42387  by The Jackal
 Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:00 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:29 am
Well, I'll take this as good mojo - in the spring Furman did not have a player and uniform number on the Hero Sports Jersey countdown of the best FCS players.

Devin Wynn is #0
https://herosports.com/fcs-football-202 ... wynn-bzbz/
Wynn is poised to have a real breakout season. We could see a performance unlike any we've seen from a Furman RB in quite a while (and we've had some good ones).
dornb liked this
 #42388  by AstroDin
 Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:44 pm
to your point Jackal >> Wynn is getting a lot of attention from NFL scout. Just about every day I see a tweet thanking an NFL team for attending practice - I expect Wynn to come out and play on fire.
 #42404  by The Jackal
 Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:19 am
apaladin wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:23 pm
Quarterbacks: https://furmanpaladins.com/news/2021/8/ ... backs.aspx

CCH- “Hamp is bigger and stronger”. Oh lord, remember what happened the last time the “bigger and stronger” phrase was used. 😳😳

Sisson's the best QB on the team. That's apparently been the case for a while. He won the gig last year. He looks like he'll win the gig this year. He's the team captain.

His spring numbers (as a sophomore) were respectable. In seven games, he threw for over 1200 yards 52% completion, and right at 180 yards per game. Too many interceptions, but plenty of those interceptions came under intense pressure from a blocking scheme that wasn't exactly stellar this spring.

Just for comparison's sake.
  • In his Sophomore season (2013), Reese Hannon threw for about 500 more yards than Sisson did this spring in 4 more games. Hannon's completion rate was higher, but had fewer yards per games (158), fewer touchdowns (7).
  • In his Sophomore season (2015), PJ Blazejowski threw for nearly half as many yards (716), half as many yards per game (102), and had more INTs (6) than TDs (4).
So, you can make a compelling argument that Sisson's sophomore campaign was more impressive than either Blazejowksi or Hannon, both of whom would etch their names into Furman record books as seniors in many important passing categories (yards, touchdowns, efficiency, completions, etc.)

If we get the kinks ironed out with the blocking and running game - and I think we will - I see no reason why Sisson couldn't be a very good QB for us. It takes most QBs some time to develop in a system. Many tend to get better every year.
PalaDad liked this
 #42405  by FUBeAR
 Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:50 am
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:19 am
apaladin wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:23 pm
Quarterbacks: https://furmanpaladins.com/news/2021/8/ ... backs.aspx

CCH- “Hamp is bigger and stronger”. Oh lord, remember what happened the last time the “bigger and stronger” phrase was used. 😳😳

Sisson's the best QB on the team. That's apparently been the case for a while. He won the gig last year. He looks like he'll win the gig this year. He's the team captain.

His spring numbers (as a sophomore) were respectable. In seven games, he threw for over 1200 yards 52% completion, and right at 180 yards per game. Too many interceptions, but plenty of those interceptions came under intense pressure from a blocking scheme that wasn't exactly stellar this spring.

Just for comparison's sake.
  • In his Sophomore season (2013), Reese Hannon threw for about 500 more yards than Sisson did this spring in 4 more games. Hannon's completion rate was higher, but had fewer yards per games (158), fewer touchdowns (7).
  • In his Sophomore season (2015), PJ Blazejowski threw for nearly half as many yards (716), half as many yards per game (102), and had more INTs (6) than TDs (4).
So, you can make a compelling argument that Sisson's sophomore campaign was more impressive than either Blazejowksi or Hannon, both of whom would etch their names into Furman record books as seniors in many important passing categories (yards, touchdowns, efficiency, completions, etc.)

If we get the kinks ironed out with the blocking and running game - and I think we will - I see no reason why Sisson couldn't be a very good QB for us. It takes most QBs some time to develop in a system. Many tend to get better every year.
On VERY LIMITED observation, I believe Mr. Sisson will be pushed / challenged. Young Mr. Wilson has sort of a Kyler Murray vibe working for him & all of the has-been’s with whom I watched the skirmish on Saturday were talking about how smooth & polished #2 looked… “especially for a walk-on QB” … not knowing it was Shiflett.

Iron sharpens iron.

FU will be better @ QB this Fall regardless of which one of those 3 (or perhaps others) takes the snaps.
 #42411  by Jasper
 Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:05 pm
I agree that FU will be better at QB this year. I see a lot of improvement in Sisson is several aspects of the game. It is clearly his job to lose. It may take Jace awhile to catch on to the system and hope gets the chance. However, he appears to be very athletic and that goes a long way. Shiflett is intriguing. He looks much more polished than he did when he first came here. This kid is also blessed with athleticism and had an excellent HS career at QB. I am still very concerned about play calling and blocking schemes, particularly the line. I am not sure what happened in the spring but hope that CH has made the necessary changes. Sisson and the FU running backs did not have much of a chance that season at all.
Davemeister liked this
 #42414  by The Jackal
 Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:48 pm
Jasper wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:05 pm
I agree that FU will be better at QB this year. I see a lot of improvement in Sisson is several aspects of the game. It is clearly his job to lose. It may take Jace awhile to catch on to the system and hope gets the chance. However, he appears to be very athletic and that goes a long way. Shiflett is intriguing. He looks much more polished than he did when he first came here. This kid is also blessed with athleticism and had an excellent HS career at QB. I am still very concerned about play calling and blocking schemes, particularly the line. I am not sure what happened in the spring but hope that CH has made the necessary changes. Sisson and the FU running backs did not have much of a chance that season at all.
I'd love to see them let Sisson run the ball some more and attack the defense. Perhaps they'll open that up a bit more with more depth behind him.
PalaDad liked this
 #42419  by Jasper
 Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:14 pm
I agree with that but not with the read option series and not from the shotgun set. Get under center and give him a standard pass/run option. This is a gutsy kid who is also very smart. He runs the ball very well when doing so by design. That might give him more control of the offense.
76MrMoto, apaladin, dornb liked this
 #42422  by The Jackal
 Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:10 pm
Jasper wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:14 pm
I agree with that but not with the read option series and not from the shotgun set. Get under center and give him a standard pass/run option. This is a gutsy kid who is also very smart. He runs the ball very well when doing so by design. That might give him more control of the offense.

I've never really been a huge fan of read option out of the shotgun if you aren't planning on having your QB run a good bit. There's just little threat of getting outside to keep the backside DE honest.

I went back and watched some Air Force offensive highlights from 2016, Hendrix's last year on that staff.

Air Force had a lot of their offense with the QB just barreling his way up the field. Some similar formations as we use - shotgun, two backs, with an H back. QB tucks in behind the TE and FB to the corner and tries to get north/south.

Bottom line, we've gotta run the ball better.
apaladin liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.