• Coaching Changes

#40525  by Rokawaylifer
 Mon May 03, 2021 9:02 pm
all great stuff. Btw, a wrigley fun fact, Lombardi also taught Latin at st. Cecilia.

Unrelated to football and worth probably nothing to the conversation but Benjamin graham, who taught warren Buffett at Columbia, was also a classics scholar.

Charlie munger uses the term “learning machine” to describe many successful individuals across all paths of life.

quote=Furmanoid post_id=40521 time=1620049815 user_id=431]
Well, he might not have a lot of options for hiring somebody at this point in the year. A new guy might not even get here until July. And how attractive is this job for anybody who has a job? So he looks around the room to find the best guy for the job and sees him in the mirror. He's better than anybody he can hire. So if the OL needs fixed, it is smart for him to do it himself. Meanwhile he'll have a smart, motivated apprentice watching how he does it.

I also want to add Halas, the inventor of the modern QB, to my list (engineer).
So Rockne, the forward pass guy, was a chemist.
Landry (inventor of the 4-3, reinventor of the shotgun, first to use computers for draft evaluations, etc) was an engineer.
Shula who, among other things, perfected the new fangled 3-4 was a math guy.
And Lombardi who was the greatest was a physics and chem teacher before going to Army.

Maybe there is a STEM connection to really great coaching. But its not just STEM; its just general smartness. Leach is really smart. Osborn had a PhD. Paterno was planning for law school after graduating Brown. These guys, like maybe our young guy, were just way smarter than the average football coaching bear.
[/quote]
 #40526  by Affirm
 Mon May 03, 2021 10:14 pm
It’s basketball, not football, but a very smart man was educated as a physician before a coaching & educator & military service & athletics director career: Dr. James Naismith, INVENTOR of the sport. He spent 8 years as university physician at KU + 2 years in military service between his time as basketball coach & his time as AD. (His pre-medical education included both physical education and theology.)
 #40529  by apaladin
 Tue May 04, 2021 12:10 pm
We will find out how this all works out 4 months from today.
 #40579  by gofurman
 Thu May 06, 2021 9:52 pm
PC just hired the guy who almost always go for it on 4th down (meaning you don't know that they will throw on 3rd and 7 - all options are on the table at all times).... and almost never punts or kicks off. many times goes onside. I have a man-crush on this guy - Analytics Work. As shown by Butler coach Brad Stevens

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... head-coach

read this - Genius ! Love the lateral stuff.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/spo ... ical-idea/
fupaladin01 liked this
 #40617  by jesse174
 Mon May 10, 2021 5:37 pm
I originally felt we had a very good QB and losing Darren wouldn't make a difference. I also felt we had a good OL and our running game was deep. So naturally I thought we would win all our games. None of that happened and we lost most of our games.
So what happened to the QB...why did we lose Cory Watkins and have a not so good running game. And what happened to our star Center...and,,,and....
Glad I'm not the coach of this team...
 #40619  by Thorny
 Mon May 10, 2021 6:47 pm
We had two solid centers that arguably under performed. For that matter, a lot of the offense under performed.

I'm not sure why so many of our players seemed to take a step back from 2019.

I do understand that prospects, players, and families read the stuff on here so I try to be positive because a happy team is a team that wins and wish more people that commented on here would keep that in mind.

Still, this team really seemed to underperform.
dornb, DoomedDin1127 liked this
 #40621  by The Jackal
 Tue May 11, 2021 6:24 am
Thorny wrote:
We had two solid centers that arguably under performed. For that matter, a lot of the offense under performed.

I do understand that prospects, players, and families read the stuff on here so I try to be positive because a happy team is a team that wins and wish more people that commented on here would keep that in mind.

If we had film on every play of every game, we could probably sit down here and go through it and nitpick what went wrong.

Bottom line - we weren't as good as headlines suggested we were. We need to get better in all facets of the game if we expect the program to be where we think it can be.
76MrMoto, apaladin liked this
 #40635  by gofurman
 Wed May 12, 2021 12:02 am
The Jackal wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 6:24 am
Thorny wrote:

If we had film on every play of every game, we could probably sit down here and go through it and nitpick what went wrong.

Bottom line - we weren't as good as headlines suggested we were. We need to get better in all facets of the game if we expect the program to be where we think it can be.
Yep, objectively, our OL didn't get much of a push after Western. Think of how we owned Western and then Citadel lost to Western and we lost to Cit.. i can hardly stand it. We not only underperformed - but seemed to regress as the year went on. That was what got me the most. I would rather start poor and finish strong than start strong and finish poor.

I know there is some talent there - its' many of the same players that made the playoffs in years prior on the OL etc - Hope we put this in the rearview mirror and improve. If nothing else it teaches young men you can't just show up and expect to win. You have to play hard every down
 #40637  by apaladin
 Wed May 12, 2021 12:34 am
Agree GF, the most disturbing, disappointing thingswas the regression. Maybe we started strong because of the competition? The stong start only lasted one game.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.