• Question: Does This Help Us Or Hurt Us?

#3932  by AstroDin
 Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:24 am
I wouldn't call our receivers "very small" and I don't think all of a sudden Thomas Gordon and Cam Burnette have become non-weapons a defense doesn't have to be worried about — I understand the frustration with the passing game but I don't think WR size has anything to do with the current state of the passing game.

BTW… Furman's all-time leading receiving yardage leaders — the top ten:
Suttles 5-10
Mims 5-9
West 6-0
Fox 5-11
Rinehart 5-11
Lipscomb 5-11?
Bratton 5-10
Kitchings 5-9
Sprague 6-1
Snellings 6-2
Luther Broughton and Colin Anderson are 12th and 13th

Current receivers;
Thomas Gordon 6-0 174
Cam Burnette 6-2 205 (Cam frame size is one of Furman's bigger receivers in years)
Ryan DeLuca 6-0 177
Avery Armstrong 6-1 190
Dejuan Bell 5-9 160
Ryan Miller 6-1 208 (TE/WR)
Zach Peterson 6-2 180 (Redshirt)
I'd say this is about the norm for Furman receivers, athletically this group competes with the West, Bratton group.
FUBeAR liked this
 #3955  by Flagman
 Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:30 pm
ETSU struggles to beat VMI, obviously the worst in the conference. We should be ready to play next week. Unfortunately, we didn't have an extra week to prepare for ETSU, since we didn't cancel the Toothpaste game until late in the week.
 #3956  by apaladin
 Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:42 pm
Flagman wrote:
ETSU struggles to beat VMI, obviously the worst in the conference. We should be ready to play next week. Unfortunately, we didn't have an extra week to prepare for ETSU, since we didn't cancel the Toothpaste game until late in the week.
Well if we need more than a normal week to prepare for ETSU we are in trouble. Right now FU needs to worry about FU.
Flagman, gofurman, dornb and 1 others liked this
 #3957  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:30 pm
Flagman wrote:

I don’t know Furman’s normal “bye week” procedures, but often you spend the first few days working on stuff.

That is, Furman probably spent their unexpected bye week working on Furman. They’ll work on ETSU next week.
 #3960  by gofurman
 Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:21 am
apaladin wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:42 pm
Flagman wrote:
Well if we need more than a normal week to prepare for ETSU we are in trouble. Right now FU needs to worry about FU.
Agree AP. ETSU appears to have been not much - if any - better than VMI. Maybe a small notch better at most. If we can't handle ETSU we have BIG problem.

That said, we did cancel late Wed or Thurs AM so we did get started on whatever we do for ETSU - whether that's doing FU stuff or watching film of ETSU - with a day or two more prep time than ETSU Had for us. Though they played Friday. Still, teams that play the prior Thurs - 9 days prior - always seem to be better prepped than teams that they face that played Sat to Sat. Which is only 2/3 days difference and yet coaches say it makes a big difference. And it appears to from scores. So we had 1/2 extra days for ETSU.

We NEED to win this

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.