• UTC thread

#38966  by Paladin91
 Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:25 am
soconjohn wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:17 am
Affirm suggesting Furman take on natural rivalries like Valpo...Do me a favor and research their record over the past decade...It makes VMI look Southern Cal from 2003-05...If Furman ever goes to that league, it might as well just have an intramural football program...I mean I am serious...I would honestly not come to games anymore with the likes of Davidson, San Diego and Dayton to look forward to...in football...We have to have better poster's than this...Affirm you got to come up with a better solution than the Pioneer league...How do Villanova and Richmond compete in the CAA? They don't just settle for some podunk league that never wins anything.
I don't think Affirm is off kilter. I think the Pioneer may be a better fit, especially given the cost of FB scholarships at FU.
Affirm liked this
 #38968  by apaladin
 Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:50 am
I am with SoConjohn. Going to the Pioneer would end my association with FU football. Something that has been a part of my entire life. I would no longer give or buy season tickets or attend nor care. If you think about it FU cannot afford to go to the Pioneer because of increased travel expenses, reduced attendance and giving and no FBS money games. If it got that bad ED would just end football, like baseball which I am sure she would love to do.
 #38972  by apaladin
 Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:11 pm
Don’t think this has been mentioned but we lost the game again because of a breakdown on an extra point and the lame play call on the 2 point attempt. Does anyone ever throw the ball sideways, 5 yards from the end zone on a 2 point attempt? 😳
 #38977  by Affirm
 Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:36 pm
apaladin wrote:
I am with SoConjohn. Going to the Pioneer would end my association with FU football. Something that has been a part of my entire life. I would no longer give or buy season tickets or attend nor care. If you think about it FU cannot afford to go to the Pioneer because of increased travel expenses, reduced attendance and giving and no FBS money games. If it got that bad ED would just end football, like baseball which I am sure she would love to do.
Disagree with you.
It should be seriously considered.
And for those who leave for it being not just considered but done (if done, based on a decision that it would be best for Furman) it’s OK if you leave. Please be reminded that I stated it might be a good way to bring baseball back.
 #38979  by Affirm
 Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:39 pm
Sad Din wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:25 am
soconjohn wrote:
Affirm suggesting Furman take on natural rivalries like Valpo...Do me a favor and research their record over the past decade...It makes VMI look Southern Cal from 2003-05...If Furman ever goes to that league, it might as well just have an intramural football program...I mean I am serious...I would honestly not come to games anymore with the likes of Davidson, San Diego and Dayton to look forward to...in football...We have to have better poster's than this...Affirm you got to come up with a better solution than the Pioneer league...How do Villanova and Richmond compete in the CAA? They don't just settle for some podunk league that never wins anything.
well.. there's always canx the whole program and put the funds to develop very competitive D1 programs in Basketball, soccer, track, tennis, golf all of which have really good success competing with the big boys and gals.

Might even have a few pennies left to bring back baseball. and take away 100 male athletes and instant gender equality
I did not say cancel all FB. I said move to Pioneer.
 #38981  by Affirm
 Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:07 pm
soconjohn wrote:
Better posters than this?
I could feel insulted, but I do not.
A better solution?
Sorry, I am not aware of one, until and unless some donor gives us about $75 million so we can stop overspending our limited resources on football.
“Doing the same thing again & again without good results is insanity.” [...or something like that...]
Villanova & Richmond both are much richer than Furman, I believe, in terms of athletics financial support from alumni and others sources.
Davidson competes in A-12. They had sense to quit spending buckets of money on expensive scholarships to have a football team.
Join Pioneer Football League. SoCon for all other sports, or else move to another conference like CAA or A-12 or something else if SoCon has a problem with us doing that.
It’s been about 20 years since we last were an FCS finalist.
I will be very surprised if we get to be an FCS finalist, or semi finalist, or even quarter finalist again, in the next 20 years, if ever.
Roundball liked this
 #38985  by Roundball
 Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:49 pm
apaladin wrote:
I hope you realize that many fans have already ended their association with Furman football. It started when Appalachian State and Georgia Southern were replaced with much lower standard teams. Check the attendance numbers if you don't believe me. Furman football has not been the same since we lost those two big rivals. I want Furman football to succeed as much as anyone, but the glory days are past us. Playing football in the SoCon is a losing money proposition. Can we afford to keep it going? I wish I could give the program millions of dollars to keep it going, but even if I could, FCS football is going to be a money pit. I certainly don't know the answers. I am glad I don't have to make the difficult decisions the Furman administration and leaders are faced with on a daily basis. All I do know is that basketball is the one sport than can make the big money for the rest of the athletic programs.
 #38987  by apaladin
 Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:00 pm
Attendance was already on the decline before they left and attendance went down because they brought huge crowds and the decline continued for many reasons. As far as it being a difficult decision ED would have noproblem at all. She could cancel fb just like she did with baseball without giving it a thought.
 #38989  by FUPlayer74
 Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:17 pm
We've lost 2 games by a total of 3 points and people are talking about dropping or diminishing football! Geez! I say let's fix the offense and finish out 6-2.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.