• UTC - March 20

#38737  by FUBeAR
 Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:55 pm
Rokawaylifer wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:05 pm
Thanks bear. I was hoping to catch Samford game on drive down from jersey but didn’t work. Driving back up from Naples, Fl, tomorrow. Stopping in milledgeville, ga, to check on the peacocks. Any restaurant recommendations? Then on to Hendersonville, nc, after detouring at greens to pick up some cheap old fofo. I’d really love to catch a game and will be calling Dwight. Thanks again for the tip.
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:23 pm
Flagman wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:34 pm
Furman is a selling a 2-game package for UTC and Wofford for $50.00. Apparently, we are expanding our numbers.
from Dwight Covington...

“Need tickets for the Chattanooga and Wofford games? We are selling 2 game packs for $50. Call me 864-607-5148”
Don’t know Milledgeville.

Macon - 35-40 minutes away - restaurants

Breakfast - H&H Soul Food - trust me
Lunch - Rookery
Dinner - Parish or Bearfoot Tavern or any one of the many Brewpups / Taphouses downtown - FUBeAR likes to stay well-hydrated
 #38738  by FurmAlum
 Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:22 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:34 pm
Paul C wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:42 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:31 pm
I know we prognosticate, but raise your hand if after 4 games you predicted Furman's leading tackler would be Nick Kuzemka.
No kidding.....color me surprised, but I love it when a walk on shows up and outperforms.
Yep - successful walk-on’s, to me, are kind of a 2 sided litmus test for FCS Programs...

If you have some (DeLuca was a walk-on too, right?), then it says a lot of positive things about your school and your program (not to mention how much (more) it says about the individual kid who is a successful walk-on - tough thing to do...very tough). You are attracting winners (without even really trying...so to speak), developing them AND allowing them to develop (those are 2 very different components), and they become success stories/role models for attracting other (future successful) walk-on’s.

The other side of that test is you have to ask yourself, “What does it say about our recruiting?” Kind of do a deep-dive / root-cause analysis. If you just got lucky, nay, let’s say, fortunate, via an unusual set of circumstances - OK, no worries. We good.

But if, at the same time, you invested a lot of money in attracting kids (scholarships, recruiting $’s) who aren’t as good as a walk-on, you have to look at your recruiting criteria and your evaluation process in those areas (position areas) to see what MIGHT be broken, and fix it...if anything is. Having successful walk-on’s does not automatically indicate ‘recruiting failure’ by any means, just that it’s worth analyzing / considering making some changes/improvements in your overall process.
I was a walk-on and I've never forgotten to appreciate the opportunity.
FUBeAR liked this
 #38739  by cavedweller2
 Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:45 pm
The Jackal wrote:
I know we prognosticate, but raise your hand if after 4 games you predicted Furman's leading tackler would be Nick Kuzemka.
Got down with serious odds in Vegas on that one.
FUBeAR liked this
 #38742  by The Jackal
 Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:32 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Rokawaylifer wrote:
Thanks bear. I was hoping to catch Samford game on drive down from jersey but didn’t work. Driving back up from Naples, Fl, tomorrow. Stopping in milledgeville, ga, to check on the peacocks. Any restaurant recommendations? Then on to Hendersonville, nc, after detouring at greens to pick up some cheap old fofo. I’d really love to catch a game and will be calling Dwight. Thanks again for the tip.
FUBeAR wrote:
Flagman wrote:
Furman is a selling a 2-game package for UTC and Wofford for $50.00. Apparently, we are expanding our numbers.
from Dwight Covington...

“Need tickets for the Chattanooga and Wofford games? We are selling 2 game packs for $50. Call me 864-607-5148”

Lunch - Rookery
Dinner - Parish or Bearfoot Tavern or any one of the many Brewpups / Taphouses downtown - FUBeAR likes to stay well-hydrated

If you ate at H&H and then Rookery for back to back meals you'd be effectively useless for two days.
 #38744  by AstroDin
 Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:52 am
Under CH Furman it seems is making PWO offers a priority.
We actively offered PWO's to many players who had offers at lower-level programs and we were also up against other programs (Chatty & Mercer) also offering them a PWO.

Kuzemka was a solid high school linebacker.
A three-year starter served as team captain and was credited with 81 tackles, including 26 for loss, and 12 sacks as a senior en route to earning first-team all-district and second-team all-region honors.

Furman has several PWO freshmen on the roster that were very successful at the HS level. I'd keep an eye on WIll Hallmark (TB) and Nick Cannon (WR). Nick Cannon had some eye-popping stats at Johnson Ferry Christian Academy. A two-time team MVP, all-region, and all-stat selection...caught 54 passes for 1,108 yards and a school-record 15 touchdown receptions his senior year...totaled 1,856 all-purpose yards and 22 touchdowns...as a junior tallied a school-record 1,031 return yards, including another school standard three kickoff return touchdowns in one contest.

Time will tell how these PWO's work out but Kuzemka looks like one PWO that is already paying off.
 #38745  by Paul C
 Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:32 am
I think PWOs also play a big role in providing depth for practice and scout team. I know Clay was frustrated when he got here that we had barely enough kids to practice with....but of course he was used to the "unlimited" roster at AFA
FUBeAR liked this
 #38746  by The Jackal
 Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:43 am
Paul C wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:32 am
I think PWOs also play a big role in providing depth for practice and scout team. I know Clay was frustrated when he got here that we had barely enough kids to practice with....but of course he was used to the "unlimited" roster at AFA
I think there are at least a handful of PWO types that play a bunch for us. Deluca and Kuzemka are two. Bo McKinney, I believe, is another walk on.

As a practical matter, I like the idea of letting guys earn their opportunity at this level.

It's about market inefficiency. Why is a guy being overlooked? Why do we have certain biases about a player, perhaps? Does he play at too small of a school? Why should that matter? Wrong position? Can he play somewhere else?

It is probably a pretty useful tool for the coaching staff to highlight to walk-ons that they can come to Furman and there won't be a thing in the world keeping them from earning playing time and, presumptively, an eventual scholarship.
 #38747  by FUBeAR
 Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:47 am
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:32 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Rokawaylifer wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
Flagman wrote:
from Dwight Covington...

Lunch - Rookery

If you ate at H&H and then Rookery for back to back meals you'd be effectively useless for two days.
LOL - FUBeAR will be running his streak of effectively useless days to 22,280 in about 2 weeks.
 #38748  by The Jackal
 Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:53 am
H&H is still the only restaurant I've been in where you walk through the kitchen to pay. Health inspector may just skip that place.
 #38749  by FUBeAR
 Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:10 pm
The Jackal wrote:
H&H is still the only restaurant I've been in where you walk through the kitchen to pay. Health inspector may just skip that place.
Has not been configured like that since 2012...could have been that way in the past.
 #38751  by The Jackal
 Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:07 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Has not been configured like that since 2012...could have been that way in the past.

You'd eat, walk to the kitchen, and pay Mama Louise (cash, of course) sitting in the back.
 #38754  by aqualung
 Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:26 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:22 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:34 pm
Paul C wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:42 pm
The Jackal wrote:
No kidding.....color me surprised, but I love it when a walk on shows up and outperforms.
Yep - successful walk-on’s, to me, are kind of a 2 sided litmus test for FCS Programs...

If you have some (DeLuca was a walk-on too, right?), then it says a lot of positive things about your school and your program (not to mention how much (more) it says about the individual kid who is a successful walk-on - tough thing to do...very tough). You are attracting winners (without even really trying...so to speak), developing them AND allowing them to develop (those are 2 very different components), and they become success stories/role models for attracting other (future successful) walk-on’s.

The other side of that test is you have to ask yourself, “What does it say about our recruiting?” Kind of do a deep-dive / root-cause analysis. If you just got lucky, nay, let’s say, fortunate, via an unusual set of circumstances - OK, no worries. We good.

But if, at the same time, you invested a lot of money in attracting kids (scholarships, recruiting $’s) who aren’t as good as a walk-on, you have to look at your recruiting criteria and your evaluation process in those areas (position areas) to see what MIGHT be broken, and fix it...if anything is. Having successful walk-on’s does not automatically indicate ‘recruiting failure’ by any means, just that it’s worth analyzing / considering making some changes/improvements in your overall process.
I was a walk-on and I've never forgotten to appreciate the opportunity.
I wonder how many FU walk-ons have made all Socon?
 #38922  by Rokawaylifer
 Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:04 pm
So everybody’s all pissed off about today’s game. But , aside that, I read this and I’m laughing and wetting my pants laughing, completely incontinent and incompetent. The next line is urine trouble. But that’s silly.

I knew some restaurants as you describe. One was the oasis in Greenville in the dark days where we met a professor of Asian studies. A Furman man. We christened one friend penna after the oasis, as in penicillin.

I think back to my spring break in 1977. Having a Pabst with billy carter in plains. Stops in Tipton, adel, and Dothan.

I usually take bears advice about all things southern. But I bypassed Decatur and spent the night in milledgeville.

English 12 with Willard pate. I’m barely awake, snot running out of my nose, scratching myself. Up late playing hearts or putting golf balls for money all night in e dorm or setting the place on fire or racing mice or rabbits down the hall.

Willard assigns and I read good country people and I’m hooked. She takes a liking to me cause I’m just a young Jersey punk and maybe she just feels sorry for me.

That was Furman then.

And so like after over 40 years i finally get to see where the magic happened.

Oh and the place didn’t dissapoint. It’s beautiful.

The princess didn’t want to wait for the tours to open.

As the Beatles sang. I’ll be back.

quote="The Jackal" post_id=38751 time=1616177228 user_id=52]
FUBeAR wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

You'd eat, walk to the kitchen, and pay Mama Louise (cash, of course) sitting in the back.
[/quote]
FurmAlum liked this
 #38927  by FurmAlum
 Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:20 pm
Rokawaylifer wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:04 pm
So everybody’s all pissed off about today’s game. But , aside that, I read this and I’m laughing and wetting my pants laughing, completely incontinent and incompetent. The next line is urine trouble. But that’s silly.

I knew some restaurants as you describe. One was the oasis in Greenville in the dark days where we met a professor of Asian studies. A Furman man. We christened one friend penna after the oasis, as in penicillin.

I think back to my spring break in 1977. Having a Pabst with billy carter in plains. Stops in Tipton, adel, and Dothan.

I usually take bears advice about all things southern. But I bypassed Decatur and spent the night in milledgeville.

English 12 with Willard pate. I’m barely awake, snot running out of my nose, scratching myself. Up late playing hearts or putting golf balls for money all night in e dorm or setting the place on fire or racing mice or rabbits down the hall.

Willard assigns and I read good country people and I’m hooked. She takes a liking to me cause I’m just a young Jersey punk and maybe she just feels sorry for me.

That was Furman then.

And so like after over 40 years i finally get to see where the magic happened.

Oh and the place didn’t dissapoint. It’s beautiful.

The princess didn’t want to wait for the tours to open.

As the Beatles sang. I’ll be back.

quote="The Jackal" post_id=38751 time=1616177228 user_id=52]
FUBeAR wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

[/quote]

How about the Rainbow Drive-In, owned by a bunch of Greeks. "Chee-burger, chee-burger, cheep,cheep,...no Coke,...Pepsi. Usually visited around 1:30 A.M. after about 2 or 15 beers. And then we would drive back to Campus and "shoot the columns."

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.