• Samford - movin' on...

#37875  by purplehorse
 Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:02 pm
I remember Citadel beating our brains out in Oct 2019, 27-10.

Wofford 24-7.

Austin Peay 42-6.

We beat a terrible Western team and then lose to VMI.

The point is we have lost 3 of our last 4 games. I don’t see how anyone could be extremely optimistic. Hopeful yes, but look at those scores above.
bj93 liked this
 #37908  by FUBeAR
 Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:17 pm
Here’s a “trick-play” we need to be ready for on Sat...

#72, Samford’s RT on the play, ended up being the Receiver on this play, after it bounced off the intended eligible Samford Retriever...for a 12 yard gain & a 1st down. He was 7 yards downfield when he caught the ball. The Officials spotted the ball for a 1st down, then conferred for a few minutes, then dropped a flag & called Illegal Touching. Then, they went to review for about 10 minutes to review whether or not the ball may/may not have touched a WCU Player before the RT caught it, 7 yards downfield. Eventually, they confirmed their call that no WCU Player had touched the ball & enforced the Illegal Touching penalty, denying the RT of his glorious catch, 7 yards downfield, and his 5 yards of YAC.

During this extended delay, the Samford announcers, one of whom played OL @ Auburn, discussed the touch/no touch in great detail & showed the review clips from multiple angles, over & over. Neither ever mentioned that the RT was 7 yards downfield when he caught the ball.

By the way, the other Samford Player you see (#52), just behind #72. He’s their LG; only 5.5 yards downfield.

Did someone change the rules of College Football & forget to tell FUBeAR?
 #37911  by Sad Din
 Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:07 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:17 pm
Here’s a “trick-play” we need to be ready for on Sat...

#72, Samford’s RT on the play, ended up being the Receiver on this play, after it bounced off the intended eligible Samford Retriever...for a 12 yard gain & a 1st down. He was 7 yards downfield when he caught the ball. The Officials spotted the ball for a 1st down, then conferred for a few minutes, then dropped a flag & called Illegal Touching. Then, they went to review for about 10 minutes to review whether or not the ball may/may not have touched a WCU Player before the RT caught it, 7 yards downfield. Eventually, they confirmed their call that no WCU Player had touched the ball & enforced the Illegal Touching penalty, denying the RT of his glorious catch, 7 yards downfield, and his 5 yards of YAC.

During this extended delay, the Samford announcers, one of whom played OL @ Auburn, discussed the touch/no touch in great detail & showed the review clips from multiple angles, over & over. Neither ever mentioned that the RT was 7 yards downfield when he caught the ball.

By the way, the other Samford Player you see (#52), just behind #72. He’s their LG; only 5.5 yards downfield.

Did someone change the rules of College Football & forget to tell FUBeAR?
yep and here are some other trick plays to be ready for:

Kicking off inbounds
Making an extra point
Snapping the ball without a penalty
Picking up a blitz
Avoiding the sack by throwing the ball away

Really need to be ready for those... :)
 #37913  by The Jackal
 Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:38 am
I am not worried about the defense.

I'm slightly worried about our offensive consistency, but am willing to chalk Saturday's game up to a bad afternoon.

I'm pretty concerned with the kicking game, though I am anxious to see whether things look much better in better field conditions.

At some point, though, we've got to demonstrate that we can play well in something other than a "nice day."
 #37915  by Furmanoid
 Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:57 am
The Jackal wrote:

I'm slightly worried about our offensive consistency, but am willing to chalk Saturday's game up to a bad afternoon.

I'm pretty concerned with the kicking game, though I am anxious to see whether things look much better in better field conditions.

At some point, though, we've got to demonstrate that we can play well in something other than a "nice day."
I want to believe the”bad afternoon” theory, but it’s not like there were freak plays all over the place or we were missing first downs by inches or there were horrible calls by refs. And football isn’t like 3 point shooting, or golf or tennis where the slightest imperceptible glitch in your form kills you. And I haven’t heard anything about a keg party in the hotel or anything. So I don’t understand how everybody has a bad day.

I’m hoping just 2 or 3 people (like maybe OC, qb and center) had a bad day. So in my mind the question is whether or not these few problems got fixed in which case we will win easily. If it was the whole team I don’t think you can fix that. Motivational screaming only does so much.
bj93 liked this
 #37943  by gofurman
 Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:59 pm
The Jackal wrote:

Jackal. Agree

Defense spectacular. “And They’re spectacular “. lol. Let’s just hope this isn’t like the .500 year where the “defense never rests” - I am sure you recall that year of AWESOME D and no help from Ô

Offense needs to show me something THIS week as this is a team we ran all over and beat badly last year. If we struggle on Ô again I’ll officially be concerned. Because it’s only going to get harder at ETSU and then Chatt Woff etc. I’ll hold back some judgement until after this game. Even if we do well we, at some point, HAVE to be able to pass if the run game isn’t going well and make adjustments.

In any case the blueprint is out there as last year. Stuff the basic run and see if they adjust and can make enough pass/other plays to stop you. . Personally if it’s a blitz package I’d love a shovel pass ?

and yes, the kicking game... 1 of 2 XPs.. not a FG attempted yet this year ... and KICKOFFS - almost all landing at the 10 yd line which allows for returns, or the go out of bounds too often. Kicking game is not impressive so far

And yes, I don’t like weather excuse. It’s an excuse. This is FOOTBALL. Not tennis. Like when we beat the tar out of Western at Western in the rain a few yrs ago. 2017? I admired that several of their fans said “wish it hadn’t rained but hey BOTH teams played in the rain. No excuses”. That’s my take too
Last edited by gofurman on Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #37944  by FUBeAR
 Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:11 pm
The Jackal wrote:

I’m not either, but I have a hunch that Coach Hendrix & Coach Vaughn would prefer the Bullpups are not allowed to put 7 “Receivers” in the pattern & not have gigantic blockers standing right next to eligible Retrievers, when they catch the ball 7 yards downfield, ready to knock down/screen prospective tacklers. I would suspect this may be a ‘hot topic’ during the Pre-Game Conference with the Officials. I sure hope it is.
 #37967  by FUBeAR
 Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:56 pm
Furman Sports Report wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:24 pm
purplehorse wrote:
The point is we have lost 3 of our last 4 games.
Huh?
3 of last 4 FCS games

2019 Woffy L 7-24
2019 APSU L 6-42
2021 WCU W 35-7
2021 VMI L 13-14
 #37968  by Furman Sports Report
 Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:08 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
purplehorse wrote:
Huh?
3 of last 4 FCS games

2019 Woffy L 7-24
2019 APSU L 6-42
2021 WCU W 35-7
2021 VMI L 13-14
Oh. Thanks. I guess I'm just not used to seeing things about teams losing 3 out of the last 4* over a 476-day timeframe either.
FUBeAR liked this
 #37973  by purplehorse
 Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:13 am
Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:08 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
purplehorse wrote:
Huh?
3 of last 4 FCS games

2019 Woffy L 7-24
2019 APSU L 6-42
2021 WCU W 35-7
2021 VMI L 13-14
Oh. Thanks. I guess I'm just not used to seeing things about teams losing 3 out of the last 4* over a 476-day timeframe either.
True BUT those are our most recent games (excluding Point which does not count) and thus those are the recent memories we have. It is time to play like we are a good team.
bj93 liked this
 #37974  by fupaladin01
 Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:26 am
If anyone is looking for a ticket to the game tomorrow, one of mine has just become available. You can hang out with three 40-year-old guys or find your own seat if you wish. Seats were Sec 4 row D last time- not sure if the same tomorrow or not. PM me if interested.
 #37975  by gofurman
 Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:35 am
Things I would like to see-

UNSTOPPABLE run game.

Dominant defense - vs Samford I’ll allow if we could hold them under 400 I would be impressed. They have a pretty good offense and throw a good bit

Even or positive turnover ratio

Better kicking game make all XPs and make a FG. At some point KOs need to go farther. Maybe we were spoiled. Spoiled or not I expect XP to be made and a good pct of FG. Else that will cost you - it has already.

Better coaching adjustments - I almost (almost) want to see a similar “stack the box / bring the blitz” scenario Bc we have to learn to beat it eventually. I have to think after we ran all over them last time they will at least bring an extra guy up

Sisson maybe keep one or two options just to make the D honest

D Bell making a catch or three - I expected him to be the best or fastest receiver. We can’t seem to get him involved

Wynn and KT - SPEED - doing what they do

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.