• starters?

#35607  by The Jackal
 Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:55 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:08 pm
The point I think I was trying to make was that you would maybe tweak some things to avoid having all world players on the bench. The simplest thing would be to play them at lb but they probably are quick enough. One of them might be able to eventually add enough strength to play a 9 technique but not the 7 technique you describe. So we’re probably just going to be really deep at bandit which is fine.

To be honest, with a year in the weight room and for our coaches to scheme up defense against only conference opponents, we may see all sorts of interesting things.
 #35609  by AstroDin
 Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:44 am
The Jackal wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:08 pm
The point I think I was trying to make was that you would maybe tweak some things to avoid having all world players on the bench. The simplest thing would be to play them at lb but they probably are quick enough. One of them might be able to eventually add enough strength to play a 9 technique but not the 7 technique you describe. So we’re probably just going to be really deep at bandit which is fine.

To be honest, with a year in the weight room and for our coaches to scheme up defense against only conference opponents, we may see all sorts of interesting things.
case in point > Jack Barton < it's been a while since we've had a 6-4 260 pound DE. Wallace Artis was 6-5 267 so there is one size comparison. I'm going assume that Barton's weight gain is from weights and nutrition.
 #35611  by gofurman
 Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:43 am
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:36 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:19 pm
If they are that good, why wouldn’t they just play linebacker? I’m guessing they aren’t as agile as the smaller guys at LB. But they aren’t strong enough to play run defense on the DL. But on the third hand they can hella pass rush because they are faster than linemen. Maybe the younger one will grow up to be a true DE.
You all make things too complicated.

For starters, we have quality players at a number of different positions. Some positions rotate more frequently than others to keep fresh legs. BANDIT is one of those positions we will frequently rotate, so we'll need a few guys.

Second, there's no such thing as a "true DE." That is dependent on the defense and the scheme.

Furman runs a 3-4 scheme. The DE in Furman's scheme is not an outside pass rusher as he might be in a 4-3 defense, but more of a defensive tackle. Furman's DE lines up opposite the BANDIT to the offense's strong side, along with the SPUR backer.

We also have DTs, who play an almost identical position but will lineup on the same side of the BANDIT to the weak side. This brief clip from the VT game is as good an overview as any:

Hope is on his feet at BANDIT, next to him a DT (Sochovka), then NG (Hodge), then DE (Tibbs) and then SPUR (Willis). Tibbs is essentially a defensive tackle. The SPUR, of course, has a lot of pass coverage responsibility (frequently the TE).

In some circumstances, Furman will prefer a pass rush package of players. Most often, the nod goes to Dru Seabrook, who has greater length and pass rush ability. He rushes the passer opposite of the BANDIT. Lawrence, too, is also a relentless pass rusher from DE.

So, yes, it's possible that Furman puts two BANDITs on the field, but it seems unlikely that they would attack both edges. To play DE in Furman's scheme would require McKoy or Agbenou to put their hand on the ground and mix it up inside with the OT/OG. That is not their most efficient use and would be, in my opinion, a liability defensively.

More than that, our defense lead the league last year and we look like we'll be better this year. Just let the coaches work out who needs to be where.
There is Nothing wrong with seeking understanding as a fan... plus it's the offseason - and a REALLY freaky long one - need something to talk/think about.

(ASIDE - not a big fan of the "let the coaches work it out" reply in general. If we want to say that we could shut down every thread - and thus have no fun and no discussion ... Example: Thread start "Sisson to be QB"? answer which ends all discussion - "Let the coaches work it out". Thread "what do you think about Hope as a 3-down player?".. answer to end all fun and discussion "let the coaches work it out". It's a sports board on the interwebs: We are just having fun and discussion in a year where any fun is really really needed

C'mon let's see some games in February I hope!
Furmanoid, FUBeAR liked this
 #35614  by The Jackal
 Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:42 am
The VT game highlights has some useful wrinkles defensively:

First play (0:00) - Furman in a dime set (6 DBs). Dae'One Wilkins is the MLB. Seabrook at DE rushing opposite Hope. Maybe pre-2019 we ran 6 DB looks, but I sure don't remember it. With Wilkins, you could almost argue that there are 4 CBs and 3 Safeties on the field.

Play at (0:27) - VT inside the 5 yard line. Furman moves to a 4-3 look. Willis, a SPUR, moves into more of an off-ball linebacker. I think this is a type of look where you may see McKoy inserted as a third LB at the second level. Let Miller play the strong side and cover the TE will McKoy fills in backside.

Play at (0:41) - sort of same spot on the field. With VT showing two TEs and two RBs inside the five, Furman pulls in Cam Coleman over the C and gives Furman effectively a 5-3 look. Sort of a unique to substitute on a NG for a CB, but there we have it.

It is sort of hard to catch in real time, but our defense is pretty varied. We are a 3-4 on paper, but really spend a lot of time in a bunch of different looks with different personnel packages depending on the opponent and the situation.
gofurman liked this
 #36472  by gofurman
 Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:05 pm
gofurman wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:59 am

thanks! updated my list - Latest version below

How does this list look???

* UPDATED w Grainger QB and Watkins RB and Hodge NG leaving *

(definite starters in bold per my worthless opinion)

QB - Sisson (R-SOPH)/ Jack Hardin (R-JNR)
TB - Wynn (SNR)/ Anderson (SOPH) / Kendall Thomas? (FR)
RB - Abrams (R-SOPH) / Roberto (SOPH)
SE - Deluca / Henderson / Shiflett (OUT this year)
FLK - Dejuan Bell (R-SOPH)/ Hughes / Gunn
LT - Harris (R-SNR) / Tomlin (R-SO)
LG - Kroeber (R-SNR) / Daniel (R-JNR)
C - Jumper (SOPH) / Neely (SNR)
RG - Johanning (R-FR) / Neely (SNR) / Harris (R-SNR)
RT - McKinney (R-JR) / Toomey (R-FR) / Detamore (R-JNR)
TE - Ryan Miller / Walker
-----

D
NG - Cam Coleman R-SOPH) / London Lewis (R-JNR) / Seth Johnson (FR)
DT - Sochovka (R-JNR) / Stokes (SNR) / Barton (R-FR) / Rogers (R-FR)
DE - Landon Lawrence (SNR) / Seabrook (R-SNR) / Jeremiah Jackson (FR) / Jalen Clark (R-FR)
SPUR - Dae'one Wilkins (R-SOPH) / Owen (R-SNR) / Wells (R-SNR)
ILB - Braden Gilby (R_SOPH) / McCormick (R-FR) / Scianna (R-FR) / DiMaggio (FR)
ILB - Jalen Miller (SOPH) / Kuzemka (R_FR) / Youngblood (FR)
BAN - Hope (R-JNR) / Elijah McKoy (SNR - maybe OUT for year) / Agbenou (SOPH)
DB - Blackshear (R-SOPH)/ .. Domino (R-SOPH)
DB - Kearse (SNR) or Chizik (SOPH)
SS - D. Clay (SNR) / Caden Richards (FR) / / Brinson (R-FR)
FS - Jack Rhodes (FR) / Hugh Ryan (SOPH) / Austin Jones (R-FR)

trying to update starters from the articles as I get time.. it will take a bit
Last edited by gofurman on Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:27 am, edited 21 times in total.
 #36475  by AstroDin
 Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:07 pm
^^ your off on a few things mainly defense. you need to go back and read all the position reports.
I would expect between now and kickoff for some changes - Clay - indicated several positions as coming down to several players. I'm also beginning to sense that it doesn't really matter who starts in a way because the intent is to play a lot of players.

Corner is going to be maned by six players depending on packages (including two frosh)
The DL is going to be like a hurricane of players going in and out - good luck.
The offensive line is going to be something to watch guard and tackle are going to be lots of interchangeable pieces, right now the only givens are Jumper (C) Kroeber (G), and maybe Johanning (G) both tackles kinda have starters with two Harris and Toomey pushing for snaps.
 #36476  by gofurman
 Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:19 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:07 pm
^^ your off on a few things mainly defense. you need to go back and read all the position reports.
I would expect between now and kickoff for some changes - Clay - indicated several positions as coming down to several players. I'm also beginning to sense that it doesn't really matter who starts in a way because the intent is to play a lot of players.

Corner is going to be maned by six players depending on packages (including two frosh)
The DL is going to be like a hurricane of players going in and out - good luck.
The offensive line is going to be something to watch guard and tackle are going to be lots of interchangeable pieces, right now the only givens are Jumper (C) Kroeber (G), and maybe Johanning (G) both tackles kinda have starters with two Harris and Toomey pushing for snaps.
Astro, I'm sure I am - I just had a look at lunch. Started w OL and safeties. I will get to the rest soon... over next few days

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.