• Elon Game Thread

#3629  by Jasper
 Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:36 pm
And we don't seem to utilize Armstrong very much in that capacity. I watch this kid a lot at practices and he is a really good athlete. As a wideout, he reminds me of Renfrew of Clemson. Great possession receiver and pass option candidate like the CU star.
 #3645  by gofurman
 Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:55 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:08 am
gofurman wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:40 pm
mathprofhiker wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:36 pm
I was in Rhodes Stadium tonight with a lot of other Furman fans. Definitely disappointed, but as others have said nowhere near as bad as some games a few years ago. I didn't think there was 38 points of difference in talent between the two teams. Our Freshmen QBs played like Freshmen, and they didn't get a lot of help: they had defenders in their face all day. Elon was all over our perimeter runs, and their OL dominated our DL: they played a great game. Definitely a tape to burn, or a file to delete from the server since it's the 21st century. On to Colgate.
And their DL beat up our OL... Bad. And often. Basically we got whooped in the trenches until the 4th Q when Elon put in the mercy rule players. Honest Credit to Elon. They played like a tough hard-nosed team.

We beat Colgate by about 30+ last year. If we lose to Colgate we will KNOW we are in trouble

***One oddity. No offense to current players but just a question of recruiting... Why don't we have a Junior or at least a R-Soph QB ? Did someone transfer? I think maybe so? . (Because generally you recruit a QB each year. Like we have lincoln R-fr and Grainger and Sisson as FR now. Someone in each year. ). The large age gap in Lincoln to Harris Roberts is strange. Anyone?
GoFurman, a great question, I had to do a little digging to figure out what was bothering me about this…

Reese Hannon 2012 — 2016
Dillon Woodruff 2013 — 2017
Pj Blazejowski 2014 — 2017
Harris Robers 2014 — senior
Reese Vita 2015 — walk on ?
Avery Armstrong 2016 —
Jemar Lincoln 2017 —
Darren Grainger 2018 —
Hamp Sisson 2018 —

ding, ding… Avery Armstrong moved from QB to WR.
Astro. Thanks. !!! Appreciate that info !! I was aware Armstrong moved to WR but I didn't know about Vita .. Those two combined leave us with a big experience gap.

That said, Moving Armstrong to WR was the coaches choice. They clearly decided to do that KNOWING that at that time they only had Harris Roberts and Vita in line once Blaze left.

And Roberts is out for ?? It seems to me we recruited one QB to few. That's NOT an indictment of Lincoln or Grainger. They are just young and QB experience is a HUGE factor. But honestly no one coulda done much at QB as the Elon guys were in our backfield all night

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.