• Scrimmage yesterday 10/24

#32642  by youwouldno
 Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:31 am
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:53 am
One, playing QB is hard. Moving from being Joe High School to D1 football is particularly hard.

Two, Furman has, unfortunately, had to play a lot of freshman at the position over the last ten years. Reese Hannon started as a freshman. Dillon Woodruff. Terry Robinson was thrown out there. Duncan Fletcher. PJ Blazejowski. Now Grainger and Sisson.

The fact it's hard to play QB is exactly why I don't understand having 2 scholarship QBs on the roster in each of years 3 and 4 of Hendrix's tenure. So far as I can tell, that is very, very unusual at the FCS level . . . I just can't see how this is outside of the coaching staff's control.

It would be one thing if multiple scholarship QBs suffered injuries. That will tax the depth of any FBS or FCS team out there. But that's not what happened. The staff simply has chosen to allocate a very low number of scholarships to the QB position. That seems like a risky move even if one of those guys is already a solid starter, let alone the actual situation where neither has established himself in that role.
 #32646  by The Jackal
 Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:39 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:31 am
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:53 am
One, playing QB is hard. Moving from being Joe High School to D1 football is particularly hard.

Two, Furman has, unfortunately, had to play a lot of freshman at the position over the last ten years. Reese Hannon started as a freshman. Dillon Woodruff. Terry Robinson was thrown out there. Duncan Fletcher. PJ Blazejowski. Now Grainger and Sisson.

The fact it's hard to play QB is exactly why I don't understand having 2 scholarship QBs on the roster in each of years 3 and 4 of Hendrix's tenure. So far as I can tell, that is very, very unusual at the FCS level . . . I just can't see how this is outside of the coaching staff's control.

It would be one thing if multiple scholarship QBs suffered injuries. That will tax the depth of any FBS or FCS team out there. But that's not what happened. The staff simply has chosen to allocate a very low number of scholarships to the QB position. That seems like a risky move even if one of those guys is already a solid starter, let alone the actual situation where neither has established himself in that role.
Hard to know what the new staff was saddled with in terms of scholarships.

I will say that we offered a number of QBs that flipped late in the process to other schools. We had a QB on the roster transfer before last season. So, it may not all be "how they drew it up."
 #32651  by youwouldno
 Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:08 pm
The Jackal wrote:

I will say that we offered a number of QBs that flipped late in the process to other schools. We had a QB on the roster transfer before last season. So, it may not all be "how they drew it up."

It seems like the 'near misses' haven't really panned out very well at their respective schools . . . besides which, that's all part of the recruiting process, and Furman benefits from it too (e.g., freshman CB Ivan Yates decommitted from Bucknell to sign with Furman). QB commit Jace Wilson is currently completing 53% of his passes with more interceptions than TDs at the HS level.

I just can't think of any football organization at any level that placed so little emphasis on the QB position. I know that Hendrix is a good coach, that's what makes it bizarre . . . at every other position, the staff's efforts make complete sense, and then there's QB, the most important position . . . inexplicable.
 #32653  by The Jackal
 Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:35 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:08 pm
The Jackal wrote:

It seems like the 'near misses' haven't really panned out very well at their respective schools . . . besides which, that's all part of the recruiting process, and Furman benefits from it too (e.g., freshman CB Ivan Yates decommitted from Bucknell to sign with Furman). QB commit Jace Wilson is currently completing 53% of his passes with more interceptions than TDs at the HS level.

I just can't think of any football organization at any level that placed so little emphasis on the QB position. I know that Hendrix is a good coach, that's what makes it bizarre . . . at every other position, the staff's efforts make complete sense, and then there's QB, the most important position . . . inexplicable.
I cannot fathom how you come to this conclusion, frankly.

Hendrix inherited a roster with two QBs taken in the same recruiting class (2014), PJ Blazewjowski and Harris Roberts.

Fowler's staff did not take a QB in 2015, most likely because they just took two the season prior.

Fowler's staff took Avery Armstrong in 2016, and almost immediately moved him to WR. So, now we are at two seasons where Furman has zero scholarship QBs in a class.

In 2017, Hendrix's first season, they take Jemar Lincoln. Lincoln was offered after Jalen Greene, who was committed for a long time, flipped to Elon. Lincoln eventually transfers. Now we've gone 3 consecutive classes without a QB.

In 2018, Hendrix has a commit from Hayden Mann, who flips. They eventually land both Grainger and Sisson. It looked like we were taking two QBs in this class regardless.

How many QBs do you want them to take in a class? Other than taking a transfer player, how do you fill in a three year recruiting gap overnight? Even if transfer players were available - and there's no guarantee that they are - there's no assurance that they'll be any better than the guy you've got.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.