• Pre-season Practice

#2746  by The Jackal
 Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:41 am
Seniors.

According to the published roster, Kealand Dirks outweighs Chinedu Okonya. Looking at that picture, I do not see how that is remotely possible.
 #2749  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:39 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Seniors.

According to the published roster, Kealand Dirks outweighs Chinedu Okonya. Looking at that picture, I do not see how that is remotely possible.

Who is standing to our left of Okonya? I can't make out his number

Also where is Tyler Voyles?
 #2755  by FUBeAR
 Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:23 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:39 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Seniors.

Who is standing to our left of Okonya? I can't make out his number

Also where is Tyler Voyles?
I believe that might be Diondrae Wright-Linton, who is listed as a R-JR, but may have already decided to forego his final year of eligibility and wanted to be included in the Sr. Picture.

Tyler Voyles is listed as a Communications major. Maybe he had to take the pic. :)
JK, of course. He has already used 3 years of eligibility, so there shouldn’t be a ‘he’s decided he wants to come back for his 5th year’ issue. Maybe he had a make-up exam or something.

BTW - related to a previous thread/post from last week...London Lewis remains on the online roster. Any additional info on his status?
 #2762  by Jasper
 Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:22 pm
BTW - related to a previous thread/post from last week...London Lewis remains on the online roster. Any additional info on his status?

I was told that he is still on the team but not on campus. He is at home dealing with a concussion issue and they hope to have him back by the start of school. I cannot speak to the veracity of that but he does remain on the roster. I hope he gets better and returns. The kid was highly recruited and has a big time, mature body. Could be very helpful.
FUKA61, FUBeAR liked this
 #2783  by gofurman
 Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:51 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:14 am
Interesting quote from Dirks:
“It took us a while to realize even what we were running as an offense,” running back Kealand Dirks said of preseason practices in 2017. “Now, we’ve changed up a little bit of stuff, but we have a better idea going into camp of what we have to do. Also, we had a great season last year, so now we’re just expected to do it even better than that. We’re working even harder because we know what we can do.”
Once our offense got rolling last year, it was a tough group to stop. With a new offensive coordinator (Quarles) we may see some different looks than we did last year.
YEP - forget that junk we heard last year "about this 1st year no one will know what offense we are running - what a huge advantage". I will take a 2nd year offense and Defense EVERY DAY and twice on Sunday over the element of surprise. I actually asked a few players about this and they agreed - like what Dirks is saying here (though I have never spoken with him).. it's all about knowing what to do and not having to think or react. I have always thought this (trying to think and react) is especially tough on a defense.. that lost 1/2 step is a killer when a LB has to think about where to go etc.

Glad to see these guys in the second year !

The only drop off I could really see is at QB in terms of just learning - Blaze became much more efficient and "learned to throw the ball away and live to play another down" as he became a Senior. That's typical. I could see our FR QB making some of the Freshman mistakes which can be costly turnovers when you try to force a ball in to too tight a window...

Main note though is that I really hope our OL is a little stronger etc. as (and Hendrix said the very same himself.. it was obvious) the other top SoCon / playoff teams were able to push our OL some and that really stymied our O which is predicated on FB runs. If we can't run in the middle some, everything else begins to get jammed up. Samford/ Woff / Elon were the 3 best Front 7s we faced that I recall. And Mercer did a good job too (yes, FUBeAR - Mercer's front 7 was pretty stong ! :D ) as we were forced to take 4 downs to run for a first down several times vs the Bears... To me the two who front 7s that really shut us down were Samford and Wofford in the playoffs... thuogh my memory may be faulty ;)
 #2830  by AstroDin
 Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:05 pm
Had a remote work day today — so I went out to catch this mornings practice… shh! don't tell,
I won't go into formations and such… but I think I can still share a few nuggets.

Defense is INTENSE, they were vocal, lots of spirit.
Looks like we've got lots of depth on defense.
I primarily scanned the field to see if the vets were playing then focused on some of the younger players.

On defense, hard not to miss Hodge, Cameron, and Gilby. Trapp looked solid, I haven't changed my mind I think we're going to see a lot of Davonta Porter this season.

The offense, Jake Walker appears ready to have a big season.
The OL had some fun drills and battles with the DL, they got after each other pretty good.
Runningbacks were impressive… Sanders looked back to old form :) Wynn stood out in practice
Quarterbacks… watched Sisson, Granger, and Lincoln take snaps primarily.
Looking forward to watching the scrimmage on Saturday to see these guys do battle.
Did I say Jake Walker looked good, oh yeah, I did?
Jasper, Bootie, MNORM liked this
 #2845  by Jasper
 Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:12 pm
Some thoughts from today's practice session - helmets, no shoulder pads - light contact - scrimmage tomorrow.
After the first two weeks of practice, I counted 6 walking wounded - none seemed particularly bad..
Lots of real athleticism on this squad at all positions on both sides of the ball - most I have seen in years
Because of the nature of the session, it was mostly passing - the QBs looked very good - Lincoln is very agile and elusive - Sisson can really throw the ball accurately - but the Paladin receiving corps, including the backs, is the best I have seen here - an already deep group is being pressed by some very talented freshmen, Bell in particular. He, Cam Burnett and Thomas Gordon are serious deep threats, as is Jake Walker in the way we use the TE but the star of today's play was Avery Armstrong. Great hands, good speed and knows how to get open. It looks to me like he may be our featured "possession" receiver this year.
Tomorrow shoud be very interesting and I think we will learn a lot
 #2927  by JohnW
 Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:48 pm
Roster has some changes as camp ends. Aside from breaking the OLB position into bandit and spur, Ben Page has been moved back to DE from OLB, and Caleb Auer and Cody Wyatt have switched. Auer now listed as a OG, and Wyatt moved from OG to OT. Auer was expected to backup Godwin at RT so seems the most significant.
 #2931  by JohnW
 Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:41 pm
FYI. They've published a depth chart. Also, some more changes to the roster, notably Jack Owen is now listed at bandit. This is not reflected on the DC which has him backing up McKoy. There's weight discrepancies too. Roster is maybe a work-in-progress.
 #2932  by AstroDin
 Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:34 pm
JohnW wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:41 pm
FYI. They've published a depth chart. Also, some more changes to the roster, notably Jack Owen is now listed at bandit. This is not reflected on the DC which has him backing up McKoy. There's weight discrepancies too. Roster is maybe a work-in-progress.

It's kinda a two-deep, three-deep, four-deep depth chart… far more info than I would expect :D
Six true freshmen on the offensive depth chart, four true freshmen on the defensive depth chart,
sixteen total freshmen on the two-deep (includes redshirts).

WLB Donavan Perryman OR Braden Gilby
Amir Trapp is listed as the starter at RC and PR
6-7 307 Bo McKinney is listed at #2 LG behind Jacob Conrad
I expected to see Coleman as #3 NG — I'm guessing he's going to redshirt
Another interesting thing I noticed; at DE Okonya or Seabrook. This doesn't surprise me I thought Seabrook looked really good in the scrimmage and he's now listed at 6-3 242, DE might be the deepest position with Okonya, Seabrook, and Lawerence… Hanff might still be recovering from a spring injury, now it makes sense that Ben Page would move back to DE.
 #2933  by JohnW
 Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:45 pm
Just looked again at the roster and Jack Owen is back at ILB. Harmony is restored at least until I look again.
 #2934  by The Jackal
 Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:59 pm
Even with all those names, I count 3 seniors on the offense's depth chart.

Looks like open competition on who is Dirks' backup.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:09 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.