• Inside LB preview

#2832  by Paul C
 Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:08 pm
Only real surprise here is that Tyler Voyles will miss the season with a knee injury suffered in spring. Aside from that appears the starters will likely be Elijah McKoy (who has added some size/strength) and Donovan Perryman. I really liked what Perryman did last year after coming in as a fairly unheralded late recruit a couple years ago. Braden Gilby sounds like he's the real deal, and ready to go as a true Fr and Jack Owen also provides depth. Sounds like they'd really like to redshirt Jax Hackett and give him time to "bigger, stronger"....the new "4 game" rule could really help here as we can play him in spots in case any of the other guys miss any appreciable time and still get him redshirted.

Still a young group but I like the 2 starters and we have some young guys that will be able to make a difference. This position should be a strength for the next couple of years, barring injuris.

http://www.furmanpaladins.com/sports/m- ... 0816mzn4a1
 #2833  by AstroDin
 Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:00 pm
Paul C wrote:
Only real surprise here is that Tyler Voyles will miss the season with a knee injury suffered in spring. Aside from that appears the starters will likely be Elijah McKoy (who has added some size/strength) and Donovan Perryman. I really liked what Perryman did last year after coming in as a fairly unheralded late recruit a couple years ago. Braden Gilby sounds like he's the real deal, and ready to go as a true Fr and Jack Owen also provides depth. Sounds like they'd really like to redshirt Jax Hackett and give him time to "bigger, stronger"....the new "4 game" rule could really help here as we can play him in spots in case any of the other guys miss any appreciable time and still get him redshirted.

Still a young group but I like the 2 starters and we have some young guys that will be able to make a difference. This position should be a strength for the next couple of years, barring injuris.

I texted Paul this as I was watching practice today… I saw #43 make a couple of really good plays and thought to myself who is that? A freshman DE? It was Gilby he's a pretty big dude, he and Jack Owen are similar in size.
Paul C liked this
 #2836  by gofurman
 Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:11 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:00 pm
Paul C wrote:

I texted Paul this as I was watching practice today… I saw #43 make a couple of really good plays and thought to myself who is that? A freshman DE? It was Gilby he's a pretty big dude, he and Jack Owen are similar in size.
Appreciate reports !

Man. Hope the young guys are good. Thought we would have Ellis and Voyles. Two LBs gone before season starts.

Glad to see Paul recalls how we spell injuris!!!
Paul C liked this
 #2837  by The Jackal
 Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:18 pm
Inside linebacker is a concern, but it was a concern last year as well that was resolved. Remember, Furman lost three players for the season (Woodruff, Burch, Olusanya) there last year and did fine.

ILB is one of those positions that doesn't rotate often. You don't need 7 guys a game to play there like you might on the defensive line or at WR. Usually, your starters are out there the whole game.

I think McKoy may lead the SoCon in tackles. Perryman is a high motor guy that should thrive inside. We'll have depth there and more experience than we did last season. Not where we want to be, but better.
 #2849  by gofurman
 Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:35 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:18 pm
Inside linebacker is a concern, but it was a concern last year as well that was resolved. Remember, Furman lost three players for the season (Woodruff, Burch, Olusanya) there last year and did fine.

ILB is one of those positions that doesn't rotate often. You don't need 7 guys a game to play there like you might on the defensive line or at WR. Usually, your starters are out there the whole game.

I think McKoy may lead the SoCon in tackles. Perryman is a high motor guy that should thrive inside. We'll have depth there and more experience than we did last season. Not where we want to be, but better.
Agree - we are still building.. need more depth and experience in a few places still. and I need to keep in mind that last year was a REALLY fast improvement. Just hard for me to not want more !

Aside, Was shocked to see how young our OL is when Paul posted that - all starters and backups are Jr and Soph mainly. Man... COuld be great next year and improve this year throughout year

Recent Topics

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:09 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.