• Most Improved Position

#2684  by Jasper
 Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:23 pm
Yes, we were.....and unbelievably predictable. Watching this exciting offensive scheme now makes me feel very badly for a kid like Reese Hannon. The kid was very talented and super gutsy. I was talking with him the other day and mentioned his unforgettable debut in the torrential rain against Coastal Carolina when he brought FU back to what should have been a win from a deep deficit. That was an auspicious start to his career and appeared to portend a turn in our fortunes but it was not to be. The dreaded 3 yard curl on 4th and 7 put a stop to that.
 #2685  by apaladin
 Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:42 pm
The following week he made his first career start at Clempson, something Roberts or Lincoln will be doing in 3 weeks.
 #2694  by fufanatic
 Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:18 am
apaladin wrote:
The following week he made his first career start at Clempson, something Roberts or Lincoln will be doing in 3 weeks.
Welcome to the big leagues. For your first start you get to play against a DL that could have three top 15 picks in the NFL Draft this year. Might be helpful to watch the 1999 team beat the crap out of UNC with two top picks on that DL.
 #2695  by The Jackal
 Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:45 am
fufanatic wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Welcome to the big leagues. For your first start you get to play against a DL that could have three top 15 picks in the NFL Draft this year. Might be helpful to watch the 1999 team beat the crap out of UNC with two top picks on that DL.
The best offense to run against a fast and aggressive defensive line is more or less what Furman does. A lot of quick hitters, shifts, and different offensive looks.

My guess is that with Texas A&M the next week, Clemson is probably going to keep their defense basic. They are still a really good defense, but I expect their coaching staff will be reluctant to put much on film with an SEC team the next weekend on the road.

Keep it on the ground, shorten the game, don't turn it over, and force Clemson to cough the ball up. We do that, we'll hang around.
Jasper liked this
 #2696  by FUBeAR
 Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:49 am
fufanatic wrote:
apaladin wrote:
In the ‘83 win over GT, I believe the game winning 4th quarter TD pass from Bobby Lamb (who made his his 1st college start that day) to Chas Fox was completed over the “Mr. Irrelevant” of the 1986 NFL Draft. I suppose that’s not quite as impressive, huh?
fufanatic liked this
 #2698  by Jasper
 Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:21 am
The best offense to run against a fast and aggressive defensive line is more or less what Furman does. A lot of quick hitters, shifts, and different offensive looks.

My guess is that with Texas A&M the next week, Clemson is probably going to keep their defense basic. They are still a really good defense, but I expect their coaching staff will be reluctant to put much on film with an SEC team the next weekend on the road.

Keep it on the ground, shorten the game, don't turn it over, and force Clemson to cough the ball up. We do that, we'll hang around.
[/quote]

I agree with that. Keeping it on the ground is a tall order for our young but fast maturing O line. As in most FB games, that unit is the key to this game. If our guys can move this D line off the ball or misdirect them in an effective manner, it certainly will say a great deal about the rest of our season. Playing well against this front will make the defenses of the SoCon feel like the Little Sisters of the Poor JV.
furman88 liked this
 #2701  by The Jackal
 Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:20 pm
It will be a great test for our offensive line. This is the best defense we will see, and certainly the best defensive line.

If we can gain tough yards in the middle with our fullbacks against Clemson, we can do it against anyone else on our schedule. Same with getting the ball outside. If our backs can get to the edge against the Tiger defense, odds are they can do it against SoCon defenses.

It may also give Furman a chance to show Elon both QBs so they'll have to prepare for them.
Bootie liked this
 #2704  by The Jackal
 Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:34 pm
lawdog wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:17 pm
Parenthetically, hope FU whacks Elon.
I watched both of those games last season and thought Furman was the better team both times. Both contests were close, but you could easily argue that the two Elon games were Furman's ugliest games all season.

In game 1, Furman was -2 in turnovers. We fumbled on our own 25 the second play of our first drive setting up an easy Elon score. We then fumbled later in the first half on our own 23 setting up an easy Elon score. It was 21-0 and Anoor's pick at the goal line saved us a route and turned the game around.

In game 2, we were -2 in turnovers. We had two crippling fumbles deep in our zone on kick returns. Blazejowski also threw a pick in the endzone from about the 6 yard line.

If we played a clean game, I think we win both those games by two touchdowns.
Jasper, furman88 liked this
 #2705  by gofurman
 Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:44 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:32 pm
Flagman wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:51 am
Does not matter who the opponent is, the consistent ability to convert third and fourth downs is demoralizing to a defense. Nothing fancy about those plays - just "we don't think you can stop us."
The definition of Furman football. Attitude!
It beats a 4 yard curl on a 3rd and 7.
DAMN STRAIGHT.. what team would possibly run that play? LOL - SO glad that isn't our bread and butter anymore. Or the tunnel screen on 3rd and 7... that was great too.. it was some pass route like that that finished the year with about a 15% success rate.
 #2708  by Jasper
 Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:52 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:34 pm
lawdog wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:17 pm
Parenthetically, hope FU whacks Elon.
I watched both of those games last season and thought Furman was the better team both times. Both contests were close, but you could easily argue that the two Elon games were Furman's ugliest games all season.

In game 1, Furman was -2 in turnovers. We fumbled on our own 25 the second play of our first drive setting up an easy Elon score. We then fumbled later in the first half on our own 23 setting up an easy Elon score. It was 21-0 and Anoor's pick at the goal line saved us a route and turned the game around.

In game 2, we were -2 in turnovers. We had two crippling fumbles deep in our zone on kick returns. Blazejowski also threw a pick in the endzone from about the 6 yard line.

If we played a clean game, I think we win both those games by two touchdowns.
Spot on, Jackal. Furman was the better team by a fair amount in both games. The loss at home was a gift. The close win in the playoffs was one of our worst games of the year. We simply did not execute well in that game. The elusive "feel" in both games was that FU was the better team. I think we will beat Elon handily this year.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:09 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.