• vs. Tenn Tech 2021, 2023

#24386  by Yadkin
 Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:43 am
I propose getting the admissions office to cover the additional travel costs plane fare entails . I’d be fine with that IF, of course, any of these wish list programs that are constantly mentioned WANT to play us, which is liberal assumption.
 #24390  by apaladin
 Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:44 am
affirm wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:56 am
apaladin wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:00 am
affirm wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:58 pm
apaladin wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:25 pm
Agree, all but Colgate since the new AD arrived. Colgate series has been on future schedules for a long time. Looks like the Colgate series may have been cancelled or moved. We were supposed to play Colgate at home on Sept 11 2021 and now we are at Tenn. Tech the same day. It also makes only 5 home games instead of 6 for 2021. The 2023 home game with Tenn. Tech gives us 5 home games so both 2021 and 2023 ooc is complete. Anyone heard if the Colgate series has been cancelled?

We need to have schools like Colgate, Holy Cross, Bucknell, Richmond, on our schedule. I’ll keep saying it.
The problem is all of those are plane trips for them or us so they are really not feasible except maybe every once in a while.
Well Richmond would be no more of a plane trip than Cookeville would be - would it ? [Edit: looked it up, 6 h, 395 mi to Richmond; 4.5 h, 270 mi to Cookeville; so Not TOO much difference.]. Georgetown and Villanova would be plane trips, but “convenient “ ones. AND none of the schools I’ve mentioned as having on our schedule would, in my thinking, necessitate a plane trip expense by Furman more than once every 2 seasons. If we cannot afford that, maybe we just cannot afford football period.
Affirm, when you “convenient” flights do you mean for us fans or the team? Of course the team would have a charter flight so any flight would be convenient for them. 😀
 #24399  by Flagman
 Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:40 pm
affirm wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Agree, all but Colgate since the new AD arrived. Colgate series has been on future schedules for a long time. Looks like the Colgate series may have been cancelled or moved. We were supposed to play Colgate at home on Sept 11 2021 and now we are at Tenn. Tech the same day. It also makes only 5 home games instead of 6 for 2021. The 2023 home game with Tenn. Tech gives us 5 home games so both 2021 and 2023 ooc is complete. Anyone heard if the Colgate series has been cancelled?
We need to have schools like Colgate, Holy Cross, Bucknell, Richmond, on our schedule. I’ll keep saying it.
You guys are trying to either kill me or make me go broke. Bucknell is a 10 hour drive to Nowhere, PA, and Holy Cross is 14 hours to Nowhere, MA. I've made the trip to Colgate. I've seen all there is to see in the region, so it's alright with me to cancel that series, especially after they screwed us on a home game. I've done the tourist bit in Boston (near Holy Cross), so that doesn't interest me, either.

I may be the only one on this board that travels to every away game, but we do have a few fans, and player-parents who travel to all of the games. We need to concentrate on scheduling games that are easy travel games. And there are plenty of teams that would be attractive match-ups in TN and NC that fit that criteria.
FUKA61, fufanatic, Paladin575 and 4 others liked this
 #24407  by Paul C
 Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:12 pm
Plane trip isn’t a “convenience” concern for Furman, it’s a cost concern. A lot cheaper to charter a couple buses than an airliner. Unless maybe a 737MAX.
 #24413  by Affirm
 Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:40 pm
apaladin wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:44 am
affirm wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:56 am
apaladin wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:00 am
affirm wrote:
apaladin wrote:

The problem is all of those are plane trips for them or us so they are really not feasible except maybe every once in a while.
Well Richmond would be no more of a plane trip than Cookeville would be - would it ? [Edit: looked it up, 6 h, 395 mi to Richmond; 4.5 h, 270 mi to Cookeville; so Not TOO much difference.]. Georgetown and Villanova would be plane trips, but “convenient “ ones. AND none of the schools I’ve mentioned as having on our schedule would, in my thinking, necessitate a plane trip expense by Furman more than once every 2 seasons. If we cannot afford that, maybe we just cannot afford football period.
Affirm, when you “convenient” flights do you mean for us fans or the team? Of course the team would have a charter flight so any flight would be convenient for them. 😀
Convenient = brief, direct flight from GSP
 #24414  by Affirm
 Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:46 pm
Flagman wrote:
affirm wrote:
apaladin wrote:
You guys are trying to either kill me or make me go broke. Bucknell is a 10 hour drive to Nowhere, PA, and Holy Cross is 14 hours to Nowhere, MA. I've made the trip to Colgate. I've seen all there is to see in the region, so it's alright with me to cancel that series, especially after they screwed us on a home game. I've done the tourist bit in Boston (near Holy Cross), so that doesn't interest me, either.

I may be the only one on this board that travels to every away game, but we do have a few fans, and player-parents who travel to all of the games. We need to concentrate on scheduling games that are easy travel games. And there are plenty of teams that would be attractive match-ups in TN and NC that fit that criteria.
One such trip every 2 seasons would kill or break you? No. You already travel to every game, so you evidently must have sufficient money, time, energy, and good health to manage that. I’m talking max about only 1 additional such game every 2 years. You already are OK with traveling to Martin, TN, apparently. Martin is 8 hours, 500 miles. Clarksville again? Tennessee State? Campbell? I’m OK with playing any of those. Not OK with those plus Kennesaw GA and Jacksonville AL being as our only OOC FCS games.
 #24419  by apaladin
 Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:59 am
affirm wrote:
Flagman wrote:
affirm wrote:
apaladin wrote:

One such trip every 2 seasons would kill or break you? No. You already travel to every game, so you evidently must have sufficient money, time, energy, and good health to manage that. I’m talking max about only 1 additional such game every 2 years. You already are OK with traveling to Martin, TN, apparently. Martin is 8 hours, 500 miles. Clarksville again? Tennessee State? Campbell? I’m OK with playing any of those. Not OK with those plus Kennesaw GA and Jacksonville AL being as our only OOC FCS games.
Where did Martin, Tn come from? If you are talking about TTU, it’s in Cookeville which is 268 miles. 4+ hours.
 #24421  by Affirm
 Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:37 am
apaladin wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:59 am
affirm wrote:
Flagman wrote:
affirm wrote:
apaladin wrote:

Where did Martin, Tn come from? If you are talking about TTU, it’s in Cookeville which is 268 miles. 4+ hours.
Flagman said there are plenty of FCS in TN & NC to choose from (and “that are attractive matchups”).
I was trying to think of where in TN & NC they are. I know where TTU & APSU are. I also know where FCS UT Martin is. Do you? Yes, we still need Colgate et al on our list. I do not consider TTU, UTM, Campbell, APSU, TSU to be all that “attractive” as matchups. Colgate, Holy Cross, Bucknell, Lafayette, Richmond, Davidson, all are liberal arts colleges that are rated academically higher than we are, AND play FCS plus other similar athletics to us. There are many other liberal arts colleges rated higher than us, but most of those are DIII. It would be fine with me if we would become DIII like Sewanee and W&L, except for the likelihood that a lot of people (such as those on this board and many others) would get “bent out of shape” and stop giving any money to the school (even though other constituencies may very well be likely to give more money to the school).
Last edited by Affirm on Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #24422  by MNORM
 Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:52 am
Flagman wrote:
affirm wrote:
apaladin wrote:

So you're saying Maine is out?
 #24423  by Affirm
 Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:10 am
MNORM wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:52 am
Flagman wrote:
affirm wrote:
apaladin wrote:

So you're saying Maine is out?
I’ll bet he’s not saying it’s out for some short-notice playoff game even if it’s below freezing in December or even first round in late November. Likewise Northern Iowa, etc.
 #24441  by Affirm
 Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:41 pm
Roundball wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:12 am
I think our AD and HC should check with every fan to make sure the schedule is okay with them. ;)
That would be possible. How many actual “fans” are there, anyway? However, I say the AD & HC are & should be attuned to the overall interests of the university & its constituencies. AD & HC should know & pursue what is best for the overall “health” & overall benefit of the university. Football is not a separate entity unto itself.
[Perhaps your comments were sarcasm & not serious statements.]
 #24448  by Roundball
 Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:08 pm
affirm wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:41 pm
Roundball wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:12 am
I think our AD and HC should check with every fan to make sure the schedule is okay with them. ;)
That would be possible. How many actual “fans” are there, anyway? However, I say the AD & HC are & should be attuned to the overall interests of the university & its constituencies. AD & HC should know & pursue what is best for the overall “health” & overall benefit of the university. Football is not a separate entity unto itself.
[Perhaps your comments were sarcasm & not serious statements.]
Well, my little smiley face was winking. Yes, it was sarcasm. Some on this board think the schedule should revolve around them.

Recent Topics

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.