• Sam Wyche passes away

#23545  by cavedweller2
 Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:09 pm
Coach Wyche opened Sam Wyche Sports World on Poinsett Highway when I was probably 8 or 9 years old. He was still playing in the NFL. If memory serves me correct I think with the Redskins. Two years running in the off season he held a "Quarterback Clinic" for youth league quarterbacks at the store. Saturday morning 9-12. He talked football, he told stories and taught us how to throw a football. The first year it was just myself, my younger brother, and a couple of dorks from Parker or Berea. There were a few more the second year. The importance of the play fake was one of the topics. It was valuable training for a kid looking for any angle to get on the field. He took time and gave us each individualized instruction. He was a giant of a man with massive hands.

I saw Coach Wyche in the lobby of Timmons before the Western game last December and took the opportunity to thank him for that time he spent with us those two Saturdays long ago and the impact and impression those sessions left on this then 10 year old. He thanked me and shook my hand with his massive catcher mitt hand.

He was a fine man.
Rokawaylifer, dornb, MNORM and 4 others liked this
 #23562  by FurmAlum
 Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:55 pm
Loved the old SW stories. If anybody has anymore, please share them.
 #23566  by FUKA61
 Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:57 pm
I was living in Fairfax, VA in 1971 when I head that Sam had been traded to the Redskins. Jane was a freshman KA rush girl my senior year and I took a job in Greenville in '63 and met Sam up on the KA hall in Geer. Went to a few KA parties where I would see Jane and Sam. I not sure who I contacted Jane or Sam but anyway it worked out great for all of us. On home games Sam had to go in early so my wife and I would pick up Jane and the three of us would go to the games. Sonny Jurgensen was entrenched as the starter so Sam did not get to play a lots. After the games we would wait for Sam to shower, etc and then we would go to one of our homes and have dinner. Great memories. I took a promotion in 1972 and moved to Roswell, Ga where I still live so it was a one year thing. Because of KA I have been fortunate from time to time to have some contact with Jane and Sam. Please keep Jane and the family in your prayers.
Cavedweller mentioned Sam's massive hands but actually Sam was one of the largest QB's in that era standing at 6'4". A giant of a man in so many ways and I feel very blessed to having spent some time with him. He will be missed.
cavedweller2, FUPlayer74, Affirm and 3 others liked this
 #23572  by FUBeAR
 Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:24 pm
Not a particularly great story, but I think it does demonstrate Sam’s razor-sharp wit and sense of Paladin Football camaraderie...

My 1st ‘real’ job post-graduation & post-GA Coaching at FU was as Asst. Mgr. at Sam Wyche SportsWorld on Poinsett Hwy. Glorified shoe salesman (Al Bundy incarnate) was more of my job than anything management-related, but calling me a Mgr enabled them to pay me $10k/year with no OT, so it was a “win-win.” ;)

Anyway, by that time, Sam was mostly an absentee-owner and I think had sold out most of his interest in the business, but he was around occasionally & we liked to think we worked for an NFL Head Coach, so we all considered him our “boss.”

So...maybe 10 years or so later, I was in the Football locker room in the old gym for some reason (no idea why) and Sam walked in. Not sure why he was there either, but I re-introduced myself to him, offered my hand to shake...and said, “You may remember me from playing at FU or from when I worked at the Poinsett store.” Without a beat going by he said, “Oh yeah, I remember you... [aside - as I expected the next words to be something like, “We almost drafted you in ‘83” or similar...but...instead...].... “We’re still looking for all of that missing inventory!” ....as he let out a big laugh and swallowed my now-wilting hand with the giant right mitt he had.

Sam clearly would have thrived on Bus 2 if he had been playing in the late 70’s/early 80’s!

He was greatly loved & will be greatly missed!
Rokawaylifer, Affirm, QCGlue liked this
 #23575  by Fuonetime
 Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:36 am
Here are some ways we should consider honoring our beloved Sam:

1. Moment of silence at start of today’s basketball game.
2. Recognition at first football game.
3. Photos and recognition in athletic building.
4. Scholarship for deserving football walk on, or endowment for Offensive Coordinator in his honor or endowment for Coaches Development Fund. Sam has a lot of friends who might be willing to contribute and these might be useful in continuing the legacy of this outstanding man and devoted Furman Alum.
5. Retire his number.
FUKA61, FUBeAR, dornb and 1 others liked this
 #23578  by Flagman
 Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:34 am
We had a brief (very brief) moment of silence at the women’s game on Thursday night.
dornb, QCGlue liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.