• 2020 Schedule

#23540  by Jasper
 Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:35 am
sluggo wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:29 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:57 am
Some of you may remember we did a summer marketing campaign back in 89 after the national championship season. We did a series of newspaper ads, a guy cutting grass in his Furman football helmet, a woman laying out in the sun with a Furman football helmet - it got a lot of attention. Today you'd run facebook ads, etc…
That's like a radical idea these days it seems; but It makes sense to me.

ESPN online games could be an advertisement for people to come out to the game; but it fails because
they don't show enough of the fans enjoying themselves.
It's about people. People attract people.

The broadcast can't just be about the game; it's got to be about how fun it is to be at the game.
Turn the main camera toward the home crowd instead of the empty visitor section.
Show the cheerleaders and band more and with some audio.
The sound of the crowd is more entertaining then some of those commentators so turn their mics down a bit
and let some background noise in.
Sell the atmosphere of the game.

Show people the fun they are missing when they don't go to the game.
You sure nailed that one, man. For the real football fan, going to a game is the best experience and for one simple reason - it is fun. I had some friends down for the VMI game this year and they raved about the entire experience - from the tailgating to the post game "grazing" party. I think that everything about the Furman home game atmosphere is great and find it baffling that more pure football fans don't find it a great way to spend a Saturday in the fall.
 #23567  by sluggo
 Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:20 pm
affirm wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:56 pm
If we disagree, it is not huge and can be overcome. If teams like the ones on your list and mine will not help “the problem” (our schedule being the problem, per the previous writer), then there is probably no solution. The solution is not to just stick only with the convenient Big South teams, in my opinion. I do think that the schools like I listed, even when we have to play only 5 homes games per year, will add interest more than just staying with the Gardner-Webb, Campbell, Charleston Southern type schools, and definitely much more than scheduling teams like Point, Newberry, Mars Hill, Catawba, Benedict, Allen, Limestone, Erskine, and so forth.

I rather travel to Benedict than to PC if that became a choice though.
Better stadium, atmosphere and bigger crowd.
Home games average over 4k .
They would be the underdog so how that would impact turnout is a guess.

#23571  by Affirm
 Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:23 pm
sluggo wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:20 pm
affirm wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:56 pm
If we disagree, it is not huge and can be overcome. If teams like the ones on your list and mine will not help “the problem” (our schedule being the problem, per the previous writer), then there is probably no solution. The solution is not to just stick only with the convenient Big South teams, in my opinion. I do think that the schools like I listed, even when we have to play only 5 homes games per year, will add interest more than just staying with the Gardner-Webb, Campbell, Charleston Southern type schools, and definitely much more than scheduling teams like Point, Newberry, Mars Hill, Catawba, Benedict, Allen, Limestone, Erskine, and so forth.

I rather travel to Benedict than to PC if that became a choice though.
Better stadium, atmosphere and bigger crowd.
Home games average over 4k .
They would be the underdog so how that would impact turnout is a guess.

No. They are not D1.
 #23573  by apaladin
 Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:04 am
Exactly. They need to tear down two thirds of their stadium. :D You could put 10 of CSU’s stadium in there.
 #23584  by sluggo
 Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:37 pm
affirm wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:23 pm
No. They are not D1.
Yeah, and ain't that sad that it's a better gig some other local D1 teams.

SC State did OK trading home and home with Benedict.

2013 : https://www.espn.com/college-football/g ... /400558902
Columbia, SC
Attendance: 15,037

2014 : https://www.espn.com/college-football/g ... /332642569
Oliver C. Dawson Stadium
Orangeburg, SC
Attendance: 10,532
 #23661  by palafan
 Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:27 am
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:45 am
FurmAlum wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:29 pm
While we're talking about the schedule, I would like to know why we play early season home games at 1 P.M. when its 95 degrees under a blazing sun.

Wouldn't a 7 P.M start time for games in Sept. make better sense?
This is me, but I love the fact that we start home games at 1:00.

It's a hot time of year. If they moved the start time back, then folks are just baking while tailgating (which, to me, is always worse) instead of baking while in the stadium.
I hate the 1 pm start in the blazing heat. At the tailgate, you can at least get in the shade.
 #23663  by cavedweller2
 Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:42 pm
I like 7:00 p.m. early in the year. 2 p.m. mid year and night again late in the year.
 #23664  by Affirm
 Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:59 pm
I like 12:00 noon, 12:30, or 1:00 at latest.
People from <4 hours away can get there & back home same day, no problem. It’s often hot even in mid-October. During Daylight Savings Time, which is until about game nine, 5 to 5:30 PM is often the hottest temperatures all day. Get the game over by 4:30 PM at latest.
DeepPurple liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.