• NSD 2020

#23217  by The Jackal
 Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:39 pm
apaladin wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:24 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:04 am
Good writeup from Keeler: http://www.furmansportsreport.com

A few interesting nuggets in there, including the intention to move Agbenou to DE.
Didn't Agbenou play there this year? Backuo to Hope?

No. Agbenou moved to Bandit from ILB after the injury to Dillon Vann. Bandit is essentially an OLB playing in a two point stance.

He did back up Hope, but not as a defensive end.
 #23265  by gofurman
 Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:24 am
fufanatic wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:18 am
I don't keep up with recruiting and don't get too excited until they come in and produce, but looks like a really great class. I hope it's a class of recruits that can compete not only at the SoCon level, but at an FCS playoff level.
Thanks to those that keep us up to date here. Much appreciated !! - Astro, PaulC. JohnW. Thank you.

I do hope these guys can make us relevant NATIONALLY. I mean, per the rankings they should be as several are ranked top 50 in FCS in the nation. Guess we will find out. I think - my opinion- by 2021 it’s basically a CH team. Granted, easier to recruit when you have a winning program to sell which he didn’t have the first year. I get that. So even if this is fourth year of CH recruiting it’s kinda his third year to me... He had to recruit Elijah McKoy etc selling a 3 win team from prior year.

Go Furman ,!
 #23267  by AstroDin
 Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:13 am
gofurman wrote:
fufanatic wrote:
I don't keep up with recruiting and don't get too excited until they come in and produce, but looks like a really great class. I hope it's a class of recruits that can compete not only at the SoCon level, but at an FCS playoff level.
Thanks to those that keep us up to date here. Much appreciated !! - Astro, PaulC. JohnW. Thank you.

I do hope these guys can make us relevant NATIONALLY. I mean, per the rankings they should be as several are ranked top 50 in FCS in the nation. Guess we will find out. I think - my opinion- by 2021 it’s basically a CH team. Granted, easier to recruit when you have a winning program to sell which he didn’t have the first year. I get that. So even if this is fourth year of CH recruiting it’s kinda his third year to me... He had to recruit Elijah McKoy etc selling a 3 win team from prior year.

Go Furman ,!
I'll drop in a CCH quote from the Furman Sports Report; "We're really excited about that group," Furman coach Clay Hendrix said. "After three years, we finally feel like we're where we need to be (at the offensive line position)."

2017 Class OL Signees
Cole Neely C 6-3 283 SR
*Ross Detamore DL 6-4 263 converted to OL RSJR

2018 Class OL Signees
Anderson Tomlin OT 6-5 275 RSSO

2019 Class OL Signees (the first class that includes early signing period)
Jake Johanning OG 6-3 265 RSFR
Pearson Toomey OT 6-3 265 RSFR
Evan Jumper C 6-4 262 SO
*Clark Daniel OG 6-3 293 RSJR transfer from AFA

2020 Class OL Signees (early signing period)
Dylan Davis OL 6-4 270
Blake Hundley OL 6-3 275
EJ Wilson OL 6-4 280

You've gotta give CCH and staff an A+ on rebuilding the OL quickly. The roster CCH inherited allowed Furman to only bring in two offensive linemen in his first two years. Last year and this year's early signing period Furman has brought in a group of highly recruited, athletic, nasty linemen. We will no doubt see inexperience mistakes next season but I don't think we will see a lack of toughness and a lack of physicality.

One other note concerning the six linemen signed in the last two classes, Furman primarily competed against FBS schools for these guys, the only player that didn't get an FBS offer is Johanning (underrated playing at a small private school in a lower division). More importantly, there isn't another SoCon school that was in the mix for any of these guys (Johanning did have Wofford's interest).

To Go Furman's point what will it take to compete at a championship level? Bring in better talent, keep them, and coach them up.

Link to FSR: http://www.furmansportsreport.com/2019/ ... 3-new.html
FurmAlum, gman84 liked this
 #23277  by gofurman
 Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:12 pm
AstroDin wrote:
gofurman wrote:
fufanatic wrote:

Go Furman ,!
I'll drop in a CCH quote from the Furman Sports Report; "We're really excited about that group," Furman coach Clay Hendrix said. "After three years, we finally feel like we're where we need to be (at the offensive line position)."

2017 Class OL Signees
Cole Neely C 6-3 283 SR

2018 Class OL Signees

Evan Jumper C 6-4 262 SO

Dylan Davis OL 6-4 270
Blake Hundley OL 6-3 275
EJ Wilson OL 6-4 280

You've gotta give CCH and staff an A+ on rebuilding the OL quickly. The roster CCH inherited allowed Furman to only bring in two offensive linemen in his first two years. Last year and this year's early signing period Furman has brought in a group of highly recruited, athletic, nasty linemen. We will no doubt see inexperience mistakes next season but I don't think we will see a lack of toughness and a lack of physicality.

One other note concerning the six linemen signed in the last two classes, Furman primarily competed against FBS schools for these guys, the only player that didn't get an FBS offer is Johanning (underrated playing at a small private school in a lower division). More importantly, there isn't another SoCon school that was in the mix for any of these guys (Johanning did have Wofford's interest).

To Go Furman's point what will it take to compete at a championship level? Bring in better talent, keep them, and coach them up.

Again, good to be having discourse with Astrodin again.. We both probably got a little frustrated with each other earlier in year.

Glad to be hearing your opinion Astro!!! You certainly follow recruiting a lot more than me

And I want to hear what you and PaulC and JohnW say on recruiting..

Anyway, yeah I eventually figured that Fowler had overrecruited on OL.. some were good - Layton ! etc. Wish he was returning but wish him well in real life. But I highlighted that you hit my main point - I know CH can coach up OL.. but some guys innately play with an edge and to the echo of the whistle and some don't - no matter what you tell them. So I am excited to see these guys get out there and we need a real PHYSICALITY on OL and DL. I don't think anyone denies that after the Woff, Cit, APy games. Were we weak? No - we beat up on Mercer and Samford etc. We just weren't yet super strong .. we need some really nasty guys who play mean and physical. And I hope that's both SoCon and Nationally.

To your point (and this is why I said 2021) we really were hamstrung at OL recruiting by numbers so even next year Johanning and Toomey etc are just R-FR which is very young on the OL. Really need to be a Soph on the OL. I have heard great things about Neely and his potential.

Also, in a larger FCS sense, I worry about the saturation of D1 offers here in Southeast.. as many of us do. Mercer, Wofford, Georgia State App State, Georgia Southern all taking tons of guys (heck Georgia STate alone takes 85 D1 guys by themselves! as opposed to Woff where its 30 more guys than they used to take) .. but to your point if we are getting guys with offers from Georgia State and Akron etc then we should be ok. I mean if we beat out say, Akron or Georgia State or whomever those guys should win the SoCon and be good in FCS nationally/playoffs too. I hope to see that pan out
\

Oh, I think our posts say this "Cole Neely C 6-3 283 SR" .. I am pretty sure ( I hope ;) ) Cole is a SOPH next year? Just keeping our list up to date. Astro, thanks for all you do !!!
Thanks for listing the recruits by year.
 #23279  by gofurman
 Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:28 pm
So I think the OL recruits of CH are this:

2017 Class OL Signees
Cole Neely C 6-3 283 SOPH - the one update I made to the list. I am almost sure he was playing as a FR this year. My mistake. Neely will be a senior.

2018 Class OL Signees

Evan Jumper C 6-4 262 SO

Dylan Davis OL 6-4 270
Blake Hundley OL 6-3 275
EJ Wilson OL 6-4 280
Last edited by gofurman on Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #23281  by The Jackal
 Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:57 pm
Cole Neely is a senior. He was a class of '17 recruit.

You are probably thinking of Evan Jumper. Different kid.
 #23293  by gofurman
 Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:05 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:57 pm
Cole Neely is a senior. He was a class of '17 recruit.

You are probably thinking of Evan Jumper. Different kid.
You are right. Was thinking of Center. And Jumper who really impressed me
 #23300  by gman84
 Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:22 am
AstroDin wrote:
gofurman wrote:
fufanatic wrote:

Go Furman ,!

2017 Class OL Signees
Cole Neely C 6-3 283 SR

2018 Class OL Signees

Evan Jumper C 6-4 262 SO

Dylan Davis OL 6-4 270
Blake Hundley OL 6-3 275
EJ Wilson OL 6-4 280

Agree completely with the last point. While watching the JMU game last night, the color guy says how experienced JMU is, no freshman or sophomore starters. That’s what the great programs are able to do. This has been mentioned before. Our Oline was a recruiting mess when CCH arrived.
AstroDin, Affirm liked this
 #23301  by Yadkin
 Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:16 am
FWIW...Cole Neely and Ross Detamore were verbal commits to the previous staff that CCH snd FU honored, though certainly not bound to do so. That doesn’t happen with some other SoCon staffs, including the newbie.
AstroDin liked this
 #23303  by The Jackal
 Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:57 pm
Yadkin wrote:
FWIW...Cole Neely and Ross Detamore were verbal commits to the previous staff that CCH snd FU honored, though certainly not bound to do so. That doesn’t happen with some other SoCon staffs, including the newbie.
I think also worth noting that Hendrix ended up moving Detamore, Harris, and Auer to offensive line, which were not the positions they were initially recruited to play. Our depth chart was in major flux for a while.

We should have a nice mix of veterans and younger guys next season.
 #23308  by AstroDin
 Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:38 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Yadkin wrote:
I think also worth noting that Hendrix ended up moving Detamore, Harris, and Auer to offensive line, which were not the positions they were initially recruited to play. Our depth chart was in major flux for a while.

I did whiff on someone - Bo McKinney. Bo was a walk-on and I'm guessing earned a scholarship.
McKinney will be a redshirt -junior and a tip of the hat to some nice development by the coaches.
FUKA61 liked this
 #23310  by The Jackal
 Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:56 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:38 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Yadkin wrote:

I did whiff on someone - Bo McKinney. Bo was a walk-on and I'm guessing earned a scholarship.
McKinney will be a redshirt -junior and a tip of the hat to some nice development by the coaches.
McKinney (I believe) started at OT in Godwin's one game absence. He was listed as #2 on the depth chart at both OT positions.

I would assume next season McKinney is likely going to step into a starters role at one of the two OT spots. He's played a bunch at a variety of positions.

The second starter may be one of the younger guys. Toomey and Tomlin were both listed on the two deep earlier in the season at OT.
 #23351  by gofurman
 Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:11 pm
addding Bo McKinney per Astro:

OL recruits of CH:

2017 Class OL Signees
Cole Neely C 6-3 283 SENIOR - verbal commit to the previous staff that CCH snd FU honored
*Ross Detamore DL 6-4 263 converted to OL R-JR - verbal commits to the previous staff that CCH snd FU honored

Bo McKinney R -JR (walk on with a scholarship now?).

2018 Class OL Signees

Evan Jumper C 6-4 262 SO

Dylan Davis OL 6-4 270
Blake Hundley OL 6-3 275
EJ Wilson OL 6-4 280

That REALLY shows we are still a year or so away from being CH team.. taking out the two guys who were Fowler commits, CH even next year only has mostly his own RS-SO and RS-FR on OL.. A position I have always felt takes a lot of experience and weight training

Glad that Astro did this list - since the expereince (R-FR) listed is already meaning next year - thsi is a pretty stark showing of we need two more years of OL development. Good recruiting has been there i Think.. but we need to get these guys in as R_Juniors. Still too young but that will come w time as these work out and age

Recent Topics

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.