• 7 PM Coach's Show

#20890  by apaladin
 Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:34 am
He did say that whoever practices the best this week would play. He also mentioned the lack of energy and sense of urgency again. Why were we so flat??? It was the same with the Citadel game. Don't understand how you can be so uninspired with so much at stake.
 #20892  by gman
 Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:51 am
apaladin wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:34 am
He did say that whoever practices the best this week would play. He also mentioned the lack of energy and sense of urgency again. Why were we so flat??? It was the same with the Citadel game. Don't understand how you can be so uninspired with so much at stake.
I posted on the game thread in the first quarter about the body language looking the same as in The Citadel game. If you don’t look engaged, odds are, you are not engaged.
 #20898  by AstroDin
 Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:44 pm
gman84 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:49 am
Bootie wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:26 am
AstroDin wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:09 am

...What really got my attention is he said — we will play people based on how they practice this week. He's not sure how much that will shake things up - but - I'd say that will shake things up...
Revealing my own ignorance, but I always figured this was how any sports team is (or at least should be) run.
Yes it is. In this case my take is, coach is letting his starters know he is not pleased.
I thought so too.
gofurman liked this
 #20902  by gofurman
 Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:53 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:17 pm
Can't coach effort.
Actually you can. Somewhat. It’s pushing buttons and psychology. It’s tough but can be done. Pregame speeches etc

I Recently Saw a rating of coaches by “X and O”. Recruiting/Talent”. And “ability to motivate”. It fit. Just from my own observation Clemson football rarely comes out flat. They come out to crush people even in games vs Duke or Kent State. Other teams too. Always come out fired up and that has to be a reflection of coaches.

It’s a famous saying and former players have told me “We would run through a brick wall for that coach every game”. Some more than others
 #20903  by gofurman
 Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:02 pm
MLB has 162 games. NBA 80+. How do you work so hard all year (and our guys do!!!). and then not be engaged for 11 games? Or at least for the top 5 games on your schedule ? That shocks me after watching Furman players give so much in classroom and weight room etc
apaladin liked this
 #20909  by gman
 Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:25 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:17 pm
Can't coach effort.
Say what? Can't coach effort? That is one of the main jobs of a coach, whether it's in sports on in the business world. In the business world, I've always believed in coaching effort first, then the results will come. Yes, effort can be coached.
Jasper, gofurman liked this
 #20947  by FUBeAR
 Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:02 pm
NOTE: below is NOT a commentary/opinion regarding the effort of the FU Football team last Sat. It is a general observation on whether or not effort can be Coached.

Interesting discussion.

Honestly, I would not have run through a cheerleading banner, much less a brick wall for any of the Coaches I played for @ FU; while I was playing. OK, maybe I would have for Coach Caldwell, but only because he would make me feel so bad FOR him, if I didn’t. On the other hand, as an adult, I now realize how great they were and would run thru that wall for any & all of them...or at least smash it down with my walker.

But...back to then...

1) I well knew that none of my Coaches would accept anything less than MAX effort on every play of every game. That’s it - bottom line - no exceptions. You loaf at all on Sat.; you will pay the price the following week with extra ‘opportunities’ to remember to give full effort every play AND you will find your ‘opportunities’ to loaf on ANY play on Sat. soon minimized or eliminated. No exceptions. Those Coaches would have rather lost with Players that gave MAX effort than win with Players who didn’t.

2) On the other hand, while I was playing, I would have run through that brick wall for almost all of my brothers on those Teams & I knew, without a doubt, that almost all of them would have for me. That’s called ‘culture.’ You can’t Coach it, but you can cultivate, by enforcing #1 and recruiting to #3.

3) In those days & as far as I can remember back, I would, I think, rather have died than lose at ANYTHING, especially Football. And, almost to a man, those brothers I mentioned in #2 were exactly the same way. I ‘saw’ (read, “occasionally participated”) FU Teammates fight each other over a whiffle ball game. I’ve seen a post-final roll backgammon board fly through a dorm window. Teammates fought each other over ‘shotgun’ to take a 5 minute ride to Len’s Liquor Mart. I know those Coaches occasionally came to blows during their lunch hoops games. We were VERY POOR losers. Fans didn’t really notice how poor we were at losing because, well, we didn’t lose often and we also were strictly forbidden from displaying anything less than ‘class’ on Saturdays. But, Coach Sheridan had a rule, in those few instances when we did lose...shake the opponents’ hands & then get your a$$ into the locker room IMMEDIATELY - no visiting with families, no pictures with your girlfriend. GET OFF THE FIELD. YOU LOST. TAKE OFF THAT UNIFORM YOU JUST EMBARRASSED & then you can come back out & hug your birth-family/girlfriend. If you could tolerate losing even just a little bit, the Furman Football Team from 1978 through at least 1985 was not the place for you.

Coach Hendrix was there. He knows what that looks like & how to recruit to it. I’m sure he & the staff are all over #1, but they need a few more years to identify & recruit more guys like those in #3. When the Paladins have a predominance of REALLY-REALLY-HATE-to-lose’ers on the roster & the effects of #1 are applied fully, without fail, and without exception, there will not be a tougher, more physical team in the SoCon, possibly not in FCS Football.

#BookIt
Bootie, dornb, Affirm and 6 others liked this
 #20972  by gofurman
 Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:28 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:02 pm
NOTE: below is NOT a commentary/opinion regarding the effort of the FU Football team last Sat. It is a general observation on whether or not effort can be Coached.

Interesting discussion.

Honestly, I would not have run through a cheerleading banner, much less a brick wall for any of the Coaches I played for @ FU; while I was playing. OK, maybe I would have for Coach Caldwell, but only because he would make me feel so bad FOR him, if I didn’t. On the other hand, as an adult, I now realize how great they were and would run thru that wall for any & all of them...or at least smash it down with my walker.

But...back to then...

1) I well knew that none of my Coaches would accept anything less than MAX effort on every play of every game. That’s it - bottom line - no exceptions. You loaf at all on Sat.; you will pay the price the following week with extra ‘opportunities’ to remember to give full effort every play AND you will find your ‘opportunities’ to loaf on ANY play on Sat. soon minimized or eliminated. No exceptions. Those Coaches would have rather lost with Players that gave MAX effort than win with Players who didn’t.

2) On the other hand, while I was playing, I would have run through that brick wall for almost all of my brothers on those Teams & I knew, without a doubt, that almost all of them would have for me. That’s called ‘culture.’ You can’t Coach it, but you can cultivate, by enforcing #1 and recruiting to #3.

3) In those days & as far as I can remember back, I would, I think, rather have died than lose at ANYTHING, especially Football. And, almost to a man, those brothers I mentioned in #2 were exactly the same way. I ‘saw’ (read, “occasionally participated”) FU Teammates fight each other over a whiffle ball game. I’ve seen a post-final roll backgammon board fly through a dorm window. Teammates fought each other over ‘shotgun’ to take a 5 minute ride to Len’s Liquor Mart. I know those Coaches occasionally came to blows during their lunch hoops games. We were VERY POOR losers. Fans didn’t really notice how poor we were at losing because, well, we didn’t lose often and we also were strictly forbidden from displaying anything less than ‘class’ on Saturdays. But, Coach Sheridan had a rule, in those few instances when we did lose...shake the opponents’ hands & then get your a$$ into the locker room IMMEDIATELY - no visiting with families, no pictures with your girlfriend. GET OFF THE FIELD. YOU LOST. TAKE OFF THAT UNIFORM YOU JUST EMBARRASSED & then you can come back out & hug your birth-family/girlfriend. If you could tolerate losing even just a little bit, the Furman Football Team from 1978 through at least 1985 was not the place for you.

Coach Hendrix was there. He knows what that looks like & how to recruit to it. I’m sure he & the staff are all over #1, but they need a few more years to identify & recruit more guys like those in #3. When the Paladins have a predominance of REALLY-REALLY-HATE-to-lose’ers on the roster & the effects of #1 are applied fully, without fail, and without exception, there will not be a tougher, more physical team in the SoCon, possibly not in FCS Football.

#BookIt
Yeah. I’ve heard some good stories at FU about number 1. Rather play a max effort guy than a better talent who doesn’t give 100%
 #21004  by DanScott
 Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:51 am
Just a quick word here. After the 11 a.m. press conference and two segments of the show Monday night focused on Wofford, I made the decision to take the show in a different direction. Felt we had beaten the dead horse enough. So yeah...there were questions in the FB feed we didn't answer. Just felt like it was time to move on. I appreciate the questions and hope you'll keep sending them. But sometimes the direction changes.

It gave us a chance to talk about the upcoming recruiting weekend, plus the recruiting plan for this year's signing. Both would seem to be topics of interest.
fufanatic, Paladin575, MNORM and 3 others liked this
 #21021  by apaladin
 Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:42 pm
DanScott wrote:
Just a quick word here. After the 11 a.m. press conference and two segments of the show Monday night focused on Wofford, I made the decision to take the show in a different direction. Felt we had beaten the dead horse enough. So yeah...there were questions in the FB feed we didn't answer. Just felt like it was time to move on. I appreciate the questions and hope you'll keep sending them. But sometimes the direction changes.

It gave us a chance to talk about the upcoming recruiting weekend, plus the recruiting plan for this year's signing. Both would seem to be topics of interest.
Dan, that is fine but keep in mind that this is the fans only chance to ask a question. There were some very good questions that I and others would liked to have heard the answers.. CCH and the team should have turned the page but I don't see how answering a couple of questions on Monday night would undermine that. You guys do ask for questions and it seems reasonable that said questions would be about the latest game.
 #21022  by gman
 Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:52 pm
DanScott wrote:

Makes sense, especially when looking at the Point game discussion. Guys are still complaining about the refs. The refs didn’t cost us that game. We got out butts kicked. Move on. Beat Point.
 #21037  by gofurman
 Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:09 am
gman wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:52 pm
DanScott wrote:

Makes sense, especially when looking at the Point game discussion. Guys are still complaining about the refs. The refs didn’t cost us that game. We got out butts kicked. Move on. Beat Point.
I think our football team was the dead horse that got beat :D Cmon. That was too easy :)

Recent Topics

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Default Avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by FurmanFan23

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.