• Option D

#19072  by gofurman
 Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:28 pm
Again main issue was O for sure - but as Jackal alluded to we blitzed and you hope that once or twice over 70 yards yiu guess right and they get behind schedule. Problem with this was once or twice they had a short field (our poor punt ) so no field for our D to work with. One miss or wrong guess on blitz and they were already in scoring position. Another time (first half Citadel TD? Maybe) we did get them in 3rd and 8 I think and they competed a pass for a first. That’s a killer by an option offense. We achieved what we wanted - 3rd and 8 and then gave the first anyway. Still the D did a pretty good job overall. . Can’t win w 5/25 passing and 3/14 on third down or whatever.
 #19099  by FUBeAR
 Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:40 pm
Watch about 1:05 - 1:25 of this video of you want to know how to stop CIT’s circa 1962 Offense...play 1962 Defense...old school Box Technique by DE’s - align wide enough that you can’t be hooked / reached, get about 3 yds depth at the snap & beat blockers (don’t get cut), foul up all pitch attempts & turn everything coming back inside. 3 DLmen in a Bear Front - NG head up on Center, Read his hat @ snap, work to penetrate flow-side A-Gap (but not too deep & find the football) and don’t let him reach you, DT’s in loose 3 techniques - don’t let OG’s reach you - Own your B-Gap - don’t get washed by OT - same penetration depth goal as NG, 2 stout LB’s in 4, 5, 6, or 7 Techniques about 3 or 4 yd depth, depending on alignment - play run 1st & OWN C Gap - Snake-eye LB in middle, about 6 yd’s deep - Go with flow, find the football & fill - Smash the QB with purpose every time he cuts up inside your boxed DE’s...Cover 3 in the secondary - CB’s have pitch, but MUST play pass 1st. If they figure out how to beat the boxed DE & do happen to get a pitch off, our pursuit will catch him & we’ll give up a couple of 1st downs...maybe.

Sure worked for the Keydets - gave up 78 yds rushing / 2.0 yds per attempt...and VMI’s Defense is just OK...really not very good. Beat CIT on alignment & scheme.

gofurman, Jasper, furman88 liked this
 #19108  by Jasper
 Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:27 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Watch about 1:05 - 1:25 of this video of you want to know how to stop CIT’s circa 1962 Offense...play 1962 Defense...old school Box Technique by DE’s - align wide enough that you can’t be hooked / reached, get about 3 yds depth at the snap & beat blockers (don’t get cut), foul up all pitch attempts & turn everything coming back inside. 3 DLmen in a Bear Front - NG head up on Center, Read his hat @ snap, work to penetrate flow-side A-Gap (but not too deep & find the football) and don’t let him reach you, DT’s in loose 3 techniques - don’t let OG’s reach you - Own your B-Gap - don’t get washed by OT - same penetration depth goal as NG, 2 stout LB’s in 4, 5, 6, or 7 Techniques about 3 or 4 yd depth, depending on alignment - play run 1st & OWN C Gap - Snake-eye LB in middle, about 6 yd’s deep - Go with flow, find the football & fill - Smash the QB with purpose every time he cuts up inside your boxed DE’s...Cover 3 in the secondary - CB’s have pitch, but MUST play pass 1st. If they figure out how to beat the boxed DE & do happen to get a pitch off, our pursuit will catch him & we’ll give up a couple of 1st downs...maybe.

Sure worked for the Keydets - gave up 78 yds rushing / 2.0 yds per attempt...and VMI’s Defense is just OK...really not very good. Beat CIT on alignment & scheme.

Very good analysis. I sensed it was a scheme problem without having your knowledge of the x and o factor. We looked totally lost out there on some crucial plays. That 4th and 2 successful go-fer from their own 19 is a flat out insult. And I am not sure whether that disrespect was towards our defense or our offense. Perhaps their Coach felt that even if he turned the ball over to us deep in their territory on downs, we were unlikely to score. Don't know. Anyway, thank you for the insight.
gofurman liked this
 #19122  by gofurman
 Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:55 am
Jasper wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:27 am
FUBeAR wrote:

Very good analysis. I sensed it was a scheme problem without having your knowledge of the x and o factor. We looked totally lost out there on some crucial plays. That 4th and 2 successful go-fer from their own 19 is a flat out insult. And I am not sure whether that disrespect was towards our defense or our offense. Perhaps their Coach felt that even if he turned the ball over to us deep in their territory on downs, we were unlikely to score. Don't know. Anyway, thank you for the insight.
Thank you FUBeAR ! This is what I am talking about - good detailed insights. This is the post I started thinking of when someone said they don't read 'long' posts. Because this one, while not super long, does take a somewhat slower read in all of it's great detail.

It really is a shame to think some might not read this (Dismiss it out of hand just because of length.detail) because FUBeAR clearly put a lot of work into this for us. Anyway, Thank you FUBeAR - I really appreciate the time you took to post this.

Personally, I would love to see more of these type posts if you or Jackal or FUPlayer74 or whomever have time. I looked on youtube but the explanations there aren't as good. They are a little generic (obviously)

Lets all get back to just having discussion and debate and pulling for our paladins !!!