• Scouting the Citadel

#18272  by gofurman
 Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:46 pm
Citadel has to play this week so we get to scout them a lil and they have to prep for western instead of looking at us. Be interested in some thoughts from others (Jackal, FUBeAR etc) on Citadel as I am worried' :D

Crazy 2 stats - beat GTech and 0-2 in SoCon and after throwing about 10 times a game they threw 34 times vs VMI?
 #18276  by FUBeAR
 Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:03 am

Paladin82 liked this
 #18278  by The Jackal
 Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:43 am
They are a decent team that will hang around if we let them.

They did just give up 61 to a team we pummeled, though, and lost to VMI at home.
 #18280  by gofurman
 Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:18 am
Paul C wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:40 am
Here’s my scouting report. Citadel will score 50+ on Western and gofurman will panic. :D :D
:D Good one - I am now required to worry. Worried about Mercer and Samford. Didn’t worry about ETSU and I caused a close game
Paul C liked this
 #18281  by gofurman
 Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:24 am
But it will be nice to watch w no stress this weekend and get to watch Citadel play. Does prep for Citadel help much for Woff anymore? They used to both run option. Not sure how much Woff is running option now? I’ll have to watch later Woff games. No jinx but I see Chatt and Woff as the two other contenders. Esp Woff. They are back to what they do and much better than the team that lost to SC State. They decided to not fix what wasn’t broken and have improved greatly. Recall if they will just do what they do (run) which they are doing they have 12+ seniors and a strong OL w three studs. They were picked best in conference based on that. Woff is improving quickly. Beat GWebb big but that’s not a good team. Best VMI who is decent. Beat ETSU really well who has a strong D 35-17! In Johnson City that’s impressive win

I see Woff as challenger one and Chatt as number two. Good thing is they play each other - go Chatt in that game!
 #18284  by FUBeAR
 Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:36 am
I haven’t yet peeped out the (almost certainly) zeppelin-era air raid O that the bellhops unleashed against VMI, but the O that I saw them running previously was less sophisticated than the 4th grade / 75 pound Team I Coached in 2002. “QB run right & QB run left” is not an Offensive game plan that’s going to win many college football games; unless you can play a very bad, but, inexplicably, way overconfident FBS Team every week. Their D is just meh. Barring a spate of injuries in a bye week to FU, bellhops will be the perfect homecoming opponent.

Chatt is also meh.

Wofford has 100% returned to running their woffyO & they do that fairly well as long as Newman is the QB. Very vulnerable on D though.

VMI presents more of a challenge to FU than the 1st 2 Teams & about the same challenge as the smalldogs. They can run the ball & pass it. D isn’t great, but they do play hard.

WCU & Point will not be competitive.

We need to start talking about which Team we expect to see coming into Paladin Stadium in the 2nd round of the Playoffs, after resting up during our 1st round bye.
FUKA61, Bootie, cavedweller2 and 2 others liked this
 #18293  by Paul C
 Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:19 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
We need to start talking about which Team we expect to see coming into Paladin Stadium in the 2nd round of the Playoffs, after resting up during our 1st round bye.
Too soon to be talking about maybe a Nicholls St, Jax St, Delaware or Towson St coming to Greenville in December.....
gofurman liked this
 #18294  by FUBeAR
 Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:13 pm
Paul C wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
Too soon to be talking about maybe a Nicholls St, Jax St, Delaware or Towson St coming to Greenville in December.....
So...you’re saying we should be talking about Sam Houston State, Austin Peay, Stony Brook, or Villanova instead?
FUKA61 liked this
 #18295  by Paul C
 Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:11 pm
Good one. It’s a good chance it’s one of those 8 we just named.
 #18302  by gofurman
 Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:53 pm
Paul C wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
ya'll are scaring the junk out of me with my jinx theory.. LOL - one at a time
 #18303  by gofurman
 Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:04 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
I haven’t yet peeped out the (almost certainly) zeppelin-era air raid O that the bellhops unleashed against VMI, but the O that I saw them running previously was less sophisticated than the 4th grade / 75 pound Team I Coached in 2002. “QB run right & QB run left” is not an Offensive game plan that’s going to win many college football games; unless you can play a very bad, but, inexplicably, way overconfident FBS Team every week. Their D is just meh. Barring a spate of injuries in a bye week to FU, bellhops will be the perfect homecoming opponent.

Chatt is also meh.

Wofford has 100% returned to running their woffyO & they do that fairly well as long as Newman is the QB. Very vulnerable on D though.

VMI presents more of a challenge to FU than the 1st 2 Teams & about the same challenge as the smalldogs. They can run the ball & pass it. D isn’t great, but they do play hard.

WCU & Point will not be competitive.

I agree on VMI as they present a team that apparently has responded to theiirr coach and will throw and run and can score. their weakness is they can't stop a running team I think - so that's good.

Woff is the scariest to me as you can clearly see they threw the ball v SC State and lost. Started to practice runnin' again and played w Sam but lost .. got all the way back to runnin' and beat (not good team) GWebb then a decent win over a game VMI team (on road) then good win over an ETSU we struggled with (and won 35-17 at ETSU) - that last one is nothing to be sneezed at and is one of the better wins in SoCon this year honestly (esp in road) in addition to ours. The point w Woff is the trending - they are improving each week as they figured out hey "let's not fix what wasn't broken!". They have a ton of seniors who were brought there to run option by Ayers. its NEXT year they lose most of his seniors as Woff is the most seinor-laden team in the league !!!
Remember this is the team that when runnin' the ball was picked to win the conference.

***People like to say coaches know what they are doing - Conklin is my example of that they don't always know more than fans... You tell me (and FUBeAR and most all of us) that I have 12+ returning starters that have practiced option football for FOUR years and won the SoCon most every year and ask me what system we are running this year? OPTION for the love of humanity. Now we may tweak it ever so slightly to add a few passes or wrinkles. But I think most of us would keep 90% of the offense the same.. Apparently, COACH Conklin w all his FBS experience from Pitt etc wasn't that smart and said "let's change what is working !!!" ... hello, SC State debacle. Now I get that their may be a ceiling to option as in second round of playoffs but keep it this year because of all the 12-14 seniors that is all they know and they were recruited to be run blockers on OL. That OL and QB aren't passing types as SC State showed. By the time we play them I see that as a huge battle. Thankfully they dropped one to Sam so even if we lose we are co-champs and if 9-3 we are in playoffs. No way they turn down a 9-3 top 20 team. RANKINGS MATTER !!! I also hope Woff drops one more game so it doesn't matter :D

I don't know that Chatt is as good as Woff so I hope they drop two games. great that Woff and Chatt play each other
 #18400  by gofurman
 Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:28 am
in a sidebar.. we get to scout our next two opponents in the same game tomorrow w Cit v Wcu