• Props to the defense

#17788  by fufanatic
 Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:39 pm
Wanted to start a separate thread to give the D some major credit for the work they've done against FCS teams so far this year. 13, 10, 10 or 11 points per game versus Charleston Southern, Mercer & ETSU. The D is tops in the SoCon in scoring defense (GSU score included) and sacks, 2nd in INTs and turnover margin, 3rd in total D and passing D, and 4th in rushing D. In SoCon games only, the Paladins are 1st in scoring D and total D.

Let's see if they can keep it going against a team that scored 58, 55 and 61 in three of their five games this year.
dornb, FUKA61, hypercycloid and 4 others liked this
 #17811  by AstroDin
 Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:09 pm
Building some impressive depth on D. I'd say this group is starting to earn some Death Dealer mojo.

I've got a feeling our D is close to turning a turnover into a score. We've got some players back there that can take it to the house. If Blackshear gets his hands on a ball in the open field I doubt anyone would catch him.

At times Saturday, you had Gilby, Coleman, Agbenou, Chizik, Blackshear, Wilkins, and Ryan… seven freshmen on the field at critical times. We're building something special.
Last edited by AstroDin on Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
dornb, FUKA61, QCGlue and 1 others liked this
 #17812  by gofurman
 Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:19 pm
D is doing so much better overall ! We do need to tackle a little better as CH himself said the week before.
 #17816  by apaladin
 Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:25 am
The defense played well and won the game but ETSU offense is very pedestrian. They have not scored a lot of points against anyone except Shorter(42). Even their coach has said they lack playmakers and that was very obvious Saturday, Samford will be by far the best FCS offense we have faced and I would only rate GSU better. In fact I will go and say Samford is the best team we have faced on both sides of the ball. VPI is just awful and GSU was one dimensional.
 #17817  by DungeonRealm
 Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:30 am
apaladin wrote:
The defense played well and won the game but ETSU offense is very pedestrian. They have not scored a lot of points against anyone except Shorter(42). Even their coach has said they lack playmakers and that was very obvious Saturday, Samford will be by far the best FCS offense we have faced and I would only rate GSU better. In fact I will go and say Samford is the best team we have faced on both sides of the ball. VPI is just awful and GSU was one dimensional.
VA. Tech would still be a top 10 FCS team
 #17822  by apaladin
 Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:55 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Maybe, prolly have that kind of talent but they are playing awful. Looks like they have given up. They may not win another game.
 #17827  by The Jackal
 Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:00 pm
apaladin wrote:
What game were you watching?

I also don't see how you conclude that Samford is the best defense we've seen. The Bulldogs defensive numbers are pretty garish. They are an athletic and aggressive group, but give up a lot of points and struggle to get off the field.
DeepPurple liked this
 #17828  by DeepPurple
 Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:11 pm
Our Defense is getting better, week by week. Our D coaches have done a super job. We have all 3 "phases" coming together to be a complete football TEAM. Leave NO doubt.
 #17830  by gofurman
 Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:13 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:00 pm
apaladin wrote:
What game were you watching?

I also don't see how you conclude that Samford is the best defense we've seen. The Bulldogs defensive numbers are pretty garish. They are an athletic and aggressive group, but give up a lot of points and struggle to get off the field.
I think he means GSU was all O and not D. which is tru.. THat wasn't a good way to word it as 'one dimensional imiples they can only pass and not run'.
 #18395  by gofurman
 Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:23 pm
apaladin wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:55 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Maybe, prolly have that kind of talent but they are playing awful. Looks like they have given up. They may not win another game.
Va Tech beat Miami Florida.. just sayin' :D - but yes, Duke did kill them. Then Miami, fresh off losing to VT beat top 20 UVA... wacky stuff
 #18397  by gofurman
 Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:26 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:39 pm
Wanted to start a separate thread to give the D some major credit for the work they've done against FCS teams so far this year. 13, 10, 10 or 11 points per game versus Charleston Southern, Mercer & ETSU. The D is tops in the SoCon in scoring defense (GSU score included) and sacks, 2nd in INTs and turnover margin, 3rd in total D and passing D, and 4th in rushing D. In SoCon games only, the Paladins are 1st in scoring D and total D.

Let's see if they can keep it going against a team that scored 58, 55 and 61 in three of their five games this year.
The D deserves the credit - or a LOT - for beating Samford. Everyone was scoring on Sam ( 59/58 vs TTU? 61-55 vs Citadel?)... look at those scores. they are ridiculous PAC 12 crap. The difference in ours was our DEFENSE !!! we really shut them down
FUKA61, fupaladin01 liked this