• SAMFORD GAMEDAY

#18131  by gofurman
 Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:57 am
You know what was best about that game??? It was BORING. Citadel and Samford was exciting and Citadel now has two straight losses ...
Last edited by gofurman on Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #18132  by Paul C
At the :31 second mark of this compilation, Wynn’s 2nd long TD run, watch LG #66 Reed Kroeber combo block the NG with Jumper, but then fall off that block at just the right time to take out the LB coming up to fill the hole.

Bootie liked this
 #18134  by Bootie
 Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:02 pm
Paul C wrote:
At the :31 second mark of this compilation, Wynn’s 2nd long TD run, watch LG #66 Reed Kroeber combo block the NG with Jumper, but then fall off that block at just the right time to take out the LB coming up to fill the hole.
That was beautiful!
 #18135  by JohnW
 Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:14 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:33 am
FUKA61 wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:17 am
DG had a great day but there was one play that I hope someone can show a clip. It was third down and long and DG dropped back to pass under a heavy rush--a Samford player was swinging his arm at DG and he dipped his shoulder and missed being tackled and then instantly threw a bullet for a first down.
not sure this is the clip but this was a similar play for a TD.
Using this clip as an example. Did anyone else notice DG was taking a little off his throws, putting a little more air under the long ones, more touch, or was that in my head? I think normally he puts this throw on a rope.
 #18138  by apaladin
 Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:07 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:10 am
A couple of post game musings:

1. Furman held Samford right around their average rushing output. They typically run the ball around 30-35 times for 135-140 yards. They ran 33 times for 142 (with a long of 49).

2. The Paladin D held Samford well under their normal passing output. The defense surrendered 200 yards in the air, which was Samford's lowest mark of the season. Their longest pass was 18 yards, which was by far their least explosive passing day (they'll usually hit at least one 60-70 yard pass). From what I could see, our defense basically turned Samford into a dink and dunk passing game with high percentage/low yard tunnel screens.

This is as good a defensive backfield as we've had in years. Blackshear and Chizik are going to be fun to watch the next few years - they play physical and with some swagger. Having Kearse, Weems, Trapp, Blackshear, and Chizik against a team wanting to air it out was a luxury.

3. Only Youngstown State (327) held Samford to fewer yards than Furman (342).

4. I don't need to belabor the point with the offense. Samford ran into a buzzsaw.

5. We held Samford to 35.7% on third downs. Their lowest mark of the season since the YSU game.

6. No turnovers, 9-14 on 3rd down, 4-4 in the redzone. That'll do.

7. A 4:13 drive that went 10 plays and 75 yards for a touchdown before half time was a backbreaker. That's how you close out a half.

8. Great time for a bye week. We've survived the toughest part of the schedule, should be favored every game here out, and it sets up a big one with Wofford at the end of the season.
Jackal, Not sure we have survived the toughest part of the schedule at least in conference. I consider the UTC, WC road games and home game with VMI will turn out the be the toughest SoCon games.
 #18140  by gofurman
 Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:11 pm
JohnW wrote:
AstroDin wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:33 am
FUKA61 wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:17 am
DG had a great day but there was one play that I hope someone can show a clip. It was third down and long and DG dropped back to pass under a heavy rush--a Samford player was swinging his arm at DG and he dipped his shoulder and missed being tackled and then instantly threw a bullet for a first down.
not sure this is the clip but this was a similar play for a TD.
Using this clip as an example. Did anyone else notice DG was taking a little off his throws, putting a little more air under the long ones, more touch, or was that in my head? I think normally he puts this throw on a rope.
I remeber thinking on that play - A' for elusive move by Grainger.. C' for throw.. A' for catch by Wynn at ankles as he had to stop and get it. It is maturation by Grainger to put more air under ball on easy catches and make them easy on receiver. but on that one he made it hard by throwing to short at Wynn's ankles - Wynn did a great job on the catch !!!
Affirm liked this
 #18143  by FUBeAR
 Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:26 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:40 am
This is some sort of throw by Grainger and route by Gordon. Samford has two men on Gordon and Grainger fits it right between them at the pylon from 30+ yards out.

I particularly like one of the Samford DBs turning as if to say "what just happened?"
You may like it even more knowing he is a transfer from GaSou. Still enjoy whippin’ anything that has to do with that crowd of wannabes.
FUwolfpacker liked this
 #18145  by The Jackal
 Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:46 pm
The best part about it is that I'm not sure the Samford players or coaches knew what hit them.

This wasn't a team that came in knowing they were the underdog and out-gunned. Samford thought they were going to win this game. They probably expected to win the game.

Furman just whipped them. It's not an exaggeration to suggest that might be as bad a loss as Coach Hatcher has ever had against an FCS team. Just a dominant effort.
 #18146  by youwouldno
 Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:00 pm
JohnW wrote:

Definitely noticed. I don't think we've seen him successfully put the ball up like that before, or even attempt to do so more than a handful of times.

I know that Grainger makes all the different throws in practice . . . from a developmental standpoint, I do wonder if it makes it hard for him to attempt so few passes per actual game.
 #18155  by JohnW
 Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:36 pm
FUKA61 wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:04 pm
Thanks JW for the clip
The clip was courtesy of AstroDin. I'm afraid I co-opted it for a different purpose. The thanks, mine included, belong to him.
 #18159  by Jasper
 Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:06 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:46 pm
The best part about it is that I'm not sure the Samford players or coaches knew what hit them.

This wasn't a team that came in knowing they were the underdog and out-gunned. Samford thought they were going to win this game. They probably expected to win the game.

Furman just whipped them. It's not an exaggeration to suggest that might be as bad a loss as Coach Hatcher has ever had against an FCS team. Just a dominant effort.
That is exactly what he said in his postgame presser. He was still somewhat awestruck. He said they just had no idea what to do with Furman.