• #14 Furman @ Samford Oct. 5th

#17995  by The Jackal
 Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:26 am
Furman is the better football team. We are significantly better on defense. We are just as good on offense. We're better on special teams.

If we play Furman football, execute, tackle, and don't turn the ball over, I believe we'll win. If we miss tackles, cough up the ball, miss blocks, and don't execute, we probably won't.

Last season, we had this team on the ropes in Greenville. They were a better football team last year than this year. We're a better football team this year than last year.

Everyone needs to do their job and leave no doubt as to who the best team in this conference is. I've said this before, but if Furman wants the national recognition as a major player in the FCS - go out and win a game like this. Samford has a lot of flaws. We need to expose them.
 #17996  by MNORM
 Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:39 am
gofurman wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:37 am
MNORM wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:17 am
gofurman wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:08 am
https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/ ... 820048002/

this one worries me:
Pressuring the Samford QB may not be the right plan

“Certainly, you’ve got to find some ways to pressure,” Hendrix said about getting to the Samford quarterback. “We didn’t do a very good job of that a year ago. It’s hard to get to them.”

“What’s a little unique about them is (the quarterback) doesn’t stand back there with (the ball) a lot," Hendrix said. "They just get back and get it out of their hands. They’re really big up front. Almost just kind of building a little wall there, and he gets it out of hands.

“As much as they screen and do what they do, a lot of times they’re almost waiting for you to bring pressure so they can run those screens. A screen for them is just another play.”

I trust our coaches but the GSU game was pretty bad on D and we tried a few blitzes and then just went to the ol' keep the recvrs in front of us for 7 yard gains.. and gave up 48 points. I understand that was an outstanding QB and OL. I do. Also strong WRs. It appears we have learned from that (still never understand why guys doing this for 20+ years have to learn not to let a good QB get comfortable as every week all the NFL announcers say that) and I get that Samford throws screens etc. But I just watched Sam v Woff and Woff did well in stopping Sam (21 points is all they scored) when they brought at least 4 guys and sometimes 5. When they lay back or couldn't get to the QB he carved them up. Please bring heat and get to QB !!! No 3-8 unless really long
Going forward, I'm holding off reading any of your pregame posts until Friday nights. Going to create a new drinking game where every time you write "I'm scared" or "I'm worried" one has to take a shot.
Good plan - note I was scared of Mercer.. we rolled. I did NOT post and literal 'worry' about ETSU and others said we will kill these guys by 30+ and .. we escaped w a 7 point win. A win I like but a really close one nonetheless. So my plan going forward is to be more 'worried' !!! :D :D :D

My lack of worry almost caught us last week ! So I had to get back on the 'worry' to help us this week. My fault last week was so close a game ! - well, me and those guys who said we would win by 30+; karma and all that stuff. I hope those guys who thought we win by 30 over ETSU don't bet on football !

If I can 'worry' and we beat Samford for the first time ever under CH. I'll keep on worryin' - that said, I do not fear Citadel near as much as Samford as we a) have beaten Citadel both years under CH. Lost to Samford both times under CH and b) stop the option much better than we stop the pass attack as shown by the record
As a baseball guy, I'm all about superstitions. So you keep the anxiety alive and well... ;)
 #17998  by apaladin
 Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:54 am
gofurman wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:54 pm
apaladin wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:49 pm
Purpleglasses wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:45 pm
Nope. Not natural turf anymore.
Thanks, that is good, it could come into play with 94 degrees and a chance of t-storms.
Why do you think AstroTurf favors us?
Doesn't favor anyone. Just saying if it rains its better to have artificial vs. grass/mud.
 #17999  by gman
 Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:38 pm
apaladin wrote:
Purpleglasses wrote:
Thanks, that is good, it could come into play with 94 degrees and a chance of t-storms.
Hard to believe that it’s going to be 68 in Greenville while it is 94 in Birmingham.
 #18001  by apaladin
 Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:48 pm
gman wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:38 pm
apaladin wrote:
Purpleglasses wrote:
Hard to believe that it’s going to be 68 in Greenville while it is 94 in Birmingham.
Updated now to 71 here and 96 in B'ham. 40% chance of afternoon thundershowers in B'ham.
 #18011  by gofurman
 Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:29 pm
MNORM wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:39 am
gofurman wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:37 am
MNORM wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:17 am
gofurman wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:08 am
https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/ ... 820048002/

this one worries me:
Pressuring the Samford QB may not be the right plan

“Certainly, you’ve got to find some ways to pressure,” Hendrix said about getting to the Samford quarterback. “We didn’t do a very good job of that a year ago. It’s hard to get to them.”

“What’s a little unique about them is (the quarterback) doesn’t stand back there with (the ball) a lot," Hendrix said. "They just get back and get it out of their hands. They’re really big up front. Almost just kind of building a little wall there, and he gets it out of hands.

“As much as they screen and do what they do, a lot of times they’re almost waiting for you to bring pressure so they can run those screens. A screen for them is just another play.”

I trust our coaches but the GSU game was pretty bad on D and we tried a few blitzes and then just went to the ol' keep the recvrs in front of us for 7 yard gains.. and gave up 48 points. I understand that was an outstanding QB and OL. I do. Also strong WRs. It appears we have learned from that (still never understand why guys doing this for 20+ years have to learn not to let a good QB get comfortable as every week all the NFL announcers say that) and I get that Samford throws screens etc. But I just watched Sam v Woff and Woff did well in stopping Sam (21 points is all they scored) when they brought at least 4 guys and sometimes 5. When they lay back or couldn't get to the QB he carved them up. Please bring heat and get to QB !!! No 3-8 unless really long
Going forward, I'm holding off reading any of your pregame posts until Friday nights. Going to create a new drinking game where every time you write "I'm scared" or "I'm worried" one has to take a shot.
Good plan - note I was scared of Mercer.. we rolled. I did NOT post and literal 'worry' about ETSU and others said we will kill these guys by 30+ and .. we escaped w a 7 point win. A win I like but a really close one nonetheless. So my plan going forward is to be more 'worried' !!! :D :D :D

My lack of worry almost caught us last week ! So I had to get back on the 'worry' to help us this week. My fault last week was so close a game ! - well, me and those guys who said we would win by 30+; karma and all that stuff. I hope those guys who thought we win by 30 over ETSU don't bet on football !

If I can 'worry' and we beat Samford for the first time ever under CH. I'll keep on worryin' - that said, I do not fear Citadel near as much as Samford as we a) have beaten Citadel both years under CH. Lost to Samford both times under CH and b) stop the option much better than we stop the pass attack as shown by the record
As a baseball guy, I'm all about superstitions. So you keep the anxiety alive and well... ;)
MNORM, will do. GO Furman !!!
 #18015  by AstroDin
 Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:54 pm
Hot humid weather - oh boy! CCH has mentioned over and over that he feels the DINS are very well conditioned and doesn't seem to be shy about wishing for hot weather.

If Furman gets the running game going, could be a long second half for the Dogs.
gofurman, FUKA61 liked this
 #18087  by gofurman
 Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:21 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:54 pm
gofurman wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:02 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:40 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:37 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:16 am
AstroDin wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:09 am
I think Samford's early SoCon schedule gave them a break.
Samford played Wofford early in the season with the Terriers trying to find their way offensively.
Samford played the CItadel with a hobbled QB still the Chucktown Dogs turned it into a dog fight.
Furman will come to Bama with something to prove, healthy, and prepared.

After Saturday lots of SoCon, landmines coming up.

Samford has VMI, Mercer, WCU, and Auburn on the road. Samford has ETSU and Chatty as remaining home games.
Wofford has ETSU, Clemson, and Mercer on the road. Wofford has Furman and WCU as remaining home games.
The Citadel has Furman and ETSU on the road. The Dogs have WCU, Mercer, and Wofford as remaining home games.
ETSU has Chatty, Samford, WCU, and Vandy on the road. The Bucs have Wofford, Mercer, and The Citadel at home.

Furman IMO plays on the road very well. After Saturday Furman has WCU, Chatty, and Wofford on the road.
Lots of critical games left in the SoCon.
Hot take - I'm not terribly impressed with either the Citadel or Wofford.
As always, we are in perfect alignment in our thinking.
I think folks feel like they are better than they are.

If Wofford beats ETSU this weekend, I will about face. My gut says that ETSU probably wins that game relatively easily.
jackal, i'll go against you on this one. ETSU has no O to speak of but because of the missin' DL on Woff that really helps as ETSU will run right at that. ETSU may win but not easy but hey, what do I know.. .lol
I'm always subject to being wrong, but ETSU's defense just held Austin Peay to 14 points the week before the Govs hung 52 on Jacksonville State. They held Furman to 17, an offense that before Saturday was averaging around 40 points a game.

They'll easily be the best team Wofford's faced this year.
one for two - I was so happy to eat crow on our game.. FU looked awesome. On the other hand, Wofford is definitely improving by finally just going back to more runs. They were outthinking themselves and throwing too much - still not triple option I don't think but at least runniung. They KILLED ETSU. 450 yards to 250 yards. 400 yards on the ground...