• ETSU GAMEDAY

#17623  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:43 pm
paladinduece wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:42 pm
Well well lookie there. Rolled out to Nasir’s side and converted a 3rd and long.
Beautiful stacked route by Deluca and Armstrong.

Deluca looked like he was a decoy the entire time. The ball was only going to Armstrong.
 #17626  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:50 pm
The last two years, the SoCon autobid went to teams that knew how to gut out wins. Both of those teams just knew how to finish games.

This is a game we lose a few years ago. Sometimes you just have to find a way to get it done.
dornb liked this
 #17627  by paladinduece
 Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:51 pm
Jackal you are correct 4 is still a pup and a lot to keep up with pre and post snap. Probably won’t be the last time we see him struggle a bit. Last year we lost this game this year we fought to keep the W. Enjoy the win and get back to work Monday. FU
 #17628  by youwouldno
 Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:52 pm
Awful offensive performance, obviously. In either of the next 2 weeks, offense like that means a loss.

ETSU last year 'knew how to win games' well enough to get bounced by a so-so Jax St. team in the first round. Winning close games against mediocre opposition isn't a good thing, it's a bad thing (though better than losing to mediocre teams). Hopefully this is a one-week fluke.
 #17629  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:55 pm
paladinduece wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:51 pm
Jackal you are correct 4 is still a pup and a lot to keep up with pre and post snap. Probably won’t be the last time we see him struggle a bit. Last year we lost this game this year we fought to keep the W. Enjoy the win and get back to work Monday. FU
I think some fans see a mistake he makes and get annoyed. I see him learning with every snap and the tougher the sledding, the more useful the lesson.

This kid is going to get better with every game. I'm just glad a team was able to expose some weaknesses and us still get the win.
 #17630  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:58 pm
In all honesty, I think that's the best defense we will see in SoCon play. Wofford and the Citadel have respectable units, but they don't have the quality at all three levels like ETSU does.
FUpaladin08 liked this
 #17631  by youwouldno
 Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:00 pm
The Jackal wrote:
In all honesty, I think that's the best defense we will see in SoCon play. Wofford and the Citadel have respectable units, but they don't have the quality at all three levels like ETSU does.
ETSU has a good defense by SoCon standards but is nothing special compared to top teams from other conferences. Paladins can't expect to compete in the post-season unless they can do much, much better against live defenses.
paladinduece liked this
 #17632  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:02 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:00 pm
The Jackal wrote:
ETSU has a good defense by SoCon standards but is nothing special compared to top teams from other conferences. Paladins can't expect to compete in the post-season unless they can do much, much better against live defenses.
I think they are objectively good on defense. They played Jacksonville State to a draw last season and won the SoCon.

I'm not saying their the best defense ever, but there one of the better ones we will see.
paladinduece, FUKA61 liked this
 #17635  by DeepPurple
 Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:17 pm
I think their defense is pretty dang good, hard fought game that we won. Our defense is pretty dang good. That game will make us better.
FUKA61 liked this
 #17649  by gofurman
 Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:26 pm
The Jackal wrote:
In all honesty , I think that's the best defense we will see in SoCon play. Wofford and the Citadel have respectable units, but they don't have the quality at all three levels like ETSU does.
I got given heck for saying that pre-game. Saying great D would keep this close. then ol' FUBeAR and gman (AWESOME FANS) said we would win by scoring 50 and win by 30 respectively. I kept thinking of that as I watched those DEs. Again, Nasir Palyer and 13 at DB are great but 49 (jason) and 16 - possibly best DB in league didn't play last week or week before I don't THINK. Why no one wants to talk about key players returning is beyond me. NOT NEGATIVE just good banter about ETSU will now have 4 STUDS on D vs us while they only had 2 vs AP etc. It OBVIOUSLY makes a difference, no? But during week no one seems to want to converse. Seems odd to me given that it's a message board !
 #17650  by gofurman
 Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:29 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:33 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:27 pm
Where's Wynn?
Good question, he must have gotten hurt
Suspect MAY have been discipline. didn't play 1st Q. played 1st play of Q2.. jsut a thought. could be but maybe not
 #17674  by Bootie
 Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:26 pm
gofurman wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
youwouldno wrote:
Where's Wynn?
Suspect MAY have been discipline. didn't play 1st Q. played 1st play of Q2.. jsut a thought. could be but maybe not
I think that’s irresponsible speculation to throw something like that out there with nothing more to go on.
 #17683  by gofurman
 Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:20 pm
Bootie wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:26 pm
gofurman wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
youwouldno wrote:
Where's Wynn?
I think that’s irresponsible speculation to throw something like that out there with nothing more to go on.
I think it’s at least an educated guess considering he sat still during 1st Q and jumped up for very 1st play of second Q. That doesn’t fit the injury narrative. Anyway I MAY know more than I let on in some of these cases