• Polls as of 9-23-19

#17420  by purplehorse
 Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:34 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:20 pm
If I did vote this year, Kennesaw State wouldn't be in my top 10.

I think its a travesty of a mockery of a sham of a mockery of a travesty of two mockeries of a sham that a team benefits from a preseason top 10 ranking based on last year's results, plays a weak schedule where they have little chance of losing an FCS game, and will likely get a seed.
Maybe we will get to prove how bad Kennesaw State is on the field in the playoffs.
 #17422  by Affirm
 Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:46 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:44 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:11 pm
Yadkin wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:59 pm
Kennesaw State being ranked No. 4 in the coaches poll is absolutely laughable. They play virtually NOBODY except a sorry Kent State team that took Bowling Green to the wire before losing 63-20 last Saturday.
I think it was Kent St. that won 62-20
Here’s Kennesaw State’s schedule so far: beat NAIA Point, 59-0. Lost to MAC 2-2 Kent State in OT, 26-23. Beat SWAC 2-2 Alabama State, 42-7. Beat MVC 0-3 Missouri State, 25-24. Next host NAIA Reinhardt, followed by Charleston Southern, at PC, vs. Northern Alabama, etc. What a joke. They’ll be 11-1 with two wins over NAIA teams and will be a top seed. I would love to go to Kennesaw in round 2 or 3 and beat the brakes off of them.
You would love to go TO Kennessaw in playoffs. Why do you assume that we would go TO there, rather than having them come to us? If we were to be able to win out (run the table regular season here on out), do you believe they would nevertheless be the home team if we and they are matched up in the playoffs?
 #17424  by fufanatic
 Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:56 pm
affirm wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:46 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:44 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:11 pm
Yadkin wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:59 pm
Kennesaw State being ranked No. 4 in the coaches poll is absolutely laughable. They play virtually NOBODY except a sorry Kent State team that took Bowling Green to the wire before losing 63-20 last Saturday.
I think it was Kent St. that won 62-20
Here’s Kennesaw State’s schedule so far: beat NAIA Point, 59-0. Lost to MAC 2-2 Kent State in OT, 26-23. Beat SWAC 2-2 Alabama State, 42-7. Beat MVC 0-3 Missouri State, 25-24. Next host NAIA Reinhardt, followed by Charleston Southern, at PC, vs. Northern Alabama, etc. What a joke. They’ll be 11-1 with two wins over NAIA teams and will be a top seed. I would love to go to Kennesaw in round 2 or 3 and beat the brakes off of them.
You would love to go TO Kennessaw in playoffs. Why do you assume that we would go TO there, rather than having them come to us? If we were to be able to win out (run the table regular season here on out), do you believe they would nevertheless be the home team if we and they are matched up in the playoffs?
If both teams win out I do indeed think they would be the higher seed - and thus host us - because the committee/polls have proven in the past and are already doing it again this year that how you look on the field doesn't matter. It only matters if you win (no matter the competition level) and have a history of being good/highly ranked. I would obviously love to host Kennesaw in round 2 and be at Paladin Stadium for the entire playoffs leading up to Frisco, but I'm trying to be realistic.
 #17425  by youwouldno
 Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:10 pm
Well, I'd rather be on the road at Kennesaw than on the road at JMU or South Dakota State, all else being equal. What's annoying is how much easier of a path one team will have to the quarterfinals (though to be fair, Kennesaw is overrated but still pretty decent).
fufanatic liked this
 #17426  by FUKA61
 Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:51 pm
Would always want to play at Paladin Stadium but if we should end up at Kennesaw we will get a lots of media coverage for a very important recruiting area for both students and student athletes.
 #17428  by fupaladin01
 Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:13 pm
I don't believe Kennesaw ought to be ranked as high as they are, but I will not dismiss them out of hand. I vividly remember their mopping the floor with us when last we met. Furthermore, if the SoCon is down this year as many posters have agreed, then our desire to be highly ranked by virtue of defeating weaker competition in our conference would seem hypocritical if not applied to them as well. (And yes, I know the BigSouth is not on the SoCon level... but perhaps we're not as far removed as many of us would like to think...)
I see the conferences in tiers.:
TIER 1: MVFC, BigSky, CAA
TIER 2: SoCon, Southland, OVC
TIER 3: MEAC, Patriot, SWAC, BigSouth,
TIER 4: Pioneer, NEC
A good team from one conference could beat another strong team from a conference in its own tier. Same with weak teams vs other weaker teams. A strong team from the top tier should never lose to even a top team from a lower tier. As good as we are, we can't reasonably predict a SoCon team will beat a top tier power based on any recent history. I hope Furman and the SoCon make history in December.
 #17432  by cavedweller2
 Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:43 pm
If, and that is a big word, both FU and KSU win out I dont think we would see them until the round of 8 in the playoffs. I would speculate both would get 1st round byes and play a winner of first 8 games at home.
fufanatic liked this
 #17434  by fufanatic
 Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:14 pm
I wish we would stop bringing up the 2016 KSU game as an example of anything. It was under a previous Paladin regime that was 0-4 entering the game and on it's way out with virtually completely different players. Only redshirt juniors, true juniors and redshirt seniors would have even been on the team, and I bet even less actually played during the game. But if we are going to bring it up, you also have to mention that that same bad Furman team went down 49-14 at halftime only to hold KSU to 3 points in the second half and nearly come all the way back, losing 52-42. I would feel very confident in a 2019 meeting with the Owls, and I bet our coaching staff and players would too.
dornb, MNORM and 1 others liked this
 #17435  by Affirm
 Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:21 pm
gofurman wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:57 pm
Sure Wofford STAYED in top ten back then. They were already there. So all they had to do was best GWU and Big south team of the week and they stay there. I learned a good term for it on AGS... “slot voting”. Of course we all get it - You stay where you are unless teams above you lose we basically moved up one this week because Eastern Washington lost this week or has been fading

The problem becomes the higher you get ranked the less teams lose that are ranked above you!!! I fully admit I am a little surprised though. I thought that performance would notch us up a few. Because you can get moved w strong wins. IE Villanova moves from 18 to 8 because they beat Towson who was ranked fifth ! You all have hit all the points above - SoCon perception is hurting us. IE as much as I like Woff to lose the SC State loss hurts us a little and we needed our rival Citadel to beat Towson or Elon. basically Furman and Citadel pulled the only good OOC wins - CSU combined w close plays w GSU and VT and win over GT.

We need to keep winning (captain obvious there) but also it would be good if Citadel or Wofford were ranked. Citadel is 23 or something in one poll. So that helps. If they could win until we meet - IF IF IF we could do that too - that would be a top 20’matchup. That has me torn. I want to win SoCon first, let’s not get ahead of ourselves - WIN THE SOCON. And that is helped if Citadel and Samford and Woff etc lose SoCon games. But if Citadel and Samford lose in next two weeks that would diminish a win over them if we can beat them. It’s a funny dilemma but all I really want - esp after last year etc - is win SoCon outright. That’s a lock for playoffs and then even if we are sent on Road (hey Fu - BID so we get a home game!!!) we have our chance to beat teams on field

So to me i am ok w Citadel Samford etc all losing SoCon games and we win conference and get rings and playoffs. If those opponents are undefeated in SoCon then ok we just need to beat them and get a signature win but I find myself happy they take a conference loss.

I do hate that I feel it takes two or so years to get ranked top 15/10 even if you play that way the prior year because that isn’t fair to that (think us 2018) years seniors. Had we started last year top 15 we probably make playoffs. It should always be a THIS YEAR ONLY thing. Not what last year's team did. Of course any team unranked can win SoCon and get in playoffs and win em all. Just not fair on at-large bids.

Let’s . not get too far ahead. Keep winning SoCon. That’ll work (then if not seeded I’ll get on Furman we better $$bid for home game - no home playoff since 2005?)
Excellent !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 #17436  by The Jackal
 Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:22 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:14 pm
I wish we would stop bringing up the 2016 KSU game as an example of anything. It was under a previous Paladin regime that was 0-4 entering the game and on it's way out with virtually completely different players. Only redshirt juniors, true juniors and redshirt seniors would have even been on the team, and I bet even less actually played during the game. But if we are going to bring it up, you also have to mention that that same bad Furman team went down 49-14 at halftime only to hold KSU to 3 points in the second half and nearly come all the way back, losing 52-42. I would feel very confident in a 2019 meeting with the Owls, and I bet our coaching staff and players would too.
That game has no relevance today beyond perhaps being the straw that broke the camel's back with the last regime.
dornb, Davemeister and 1 others liked this
 #17444  by FUBeAR
 Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:03 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:20 pm
If I did vote this year, Kennesaw State wouldn't be in my top 10.

I think its a travesty of a mockery of a sham of a mockery of a travesty of two mockeries of a sham that a team benefits from a preseason top 10 ranking based on last year's results, plays a weak schedule where they have little chance of losing an FCS game, and will likely get a seed.
I would have worked “farce” in there somewhere, but I feel ya.

The li’l hooters are not in FUBeAR’s Top 10 either.