• Coverage

#15750  by Yadkin
 Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:25 am
Geez, do some research. We got killed by Elon because we started a true freshman QB (1st start) and faced Elon’s very talented, healthy QB, which Woffy didn’t face in the playoffs. Plus our non-con schedule was Clemson, Elon, and Colgate (DNP) and Wofford’s was Wyoming, G-Webb, and PC. A little difference, yah think? Wofford belonged in the playoffs. Not arguing that. What is crystal clear, however, is what now matters to the playoff selection committee is not who you play but whether you win. Scheduling is a big key. Lesson being learned, I’m sure.
fupaladin01 liked this
 #15751  by gofurman
 Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:12 pm
Yadkin wrote:
Geez, do some research. We got killed by Elon because we started a true freshman QB (1st start) and faced Elon’s very talented, healthy QB, which Woffy didn’t face in the playoffs. Plus our non-con schedule was Clemson, Elon, and Colgate (DNP) and Wofford’s was Wyoming, G-Webb, and PC. A little difference, yah think? Wofford belonged in the playoffs. Not arguing that. What is crystal clear, however, is what now matters to the playoff selection committee is not who you play but whether you win. Scheduling is a big key. Lesson being learned, I’m sure.
I am v well aware. I've done the research. I am pro-Furman. We had no excuse for ETSU.. none. and that kept us out

And yes, the lesson is - i agree - we need to schedule easier. WHich we KINDA did this year as best we could but it's hard when it's last minute. We play TWO FBS - WOfford plays ONE.. IF we lose both.. IF. then the best we can do vs D1 is 9-2 as Point doesn't count for D1. That is a slight concern. 9 wins, no worry. 8 wins should be in but its a slight issue. If we get to the bubble I hope that doesn't haunt us and we hear "Furman's win over D2 doesn't really count". That happened to somwone - UTC ( I think it was them ) - in a similar year of two FBS and a D2. Finished 8-4 w two FBS losses and a D2 win (so 7-2 vs FCS) and were left out. That's scary. there is precedent

I get it.. just win the conference outright. But why not schedule easier and have TWO paths to the playoffs - conference champ OR 8-4 w all FCS??? I wish we coulda had Davidson or Gardner Webb D1 instead of Point NAIA - that siad, I think the CSU game is a good thing.. let's do two regional games vs the likes of CSU and Gardner-Webb. And one FBS .. there is a whole list of Big South we could play and start w 2 wins pre-conference
 #15753  by gman
 Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:06 pm
Yadkin wrote:
I hope winning has always been the most most factor in choosing the playoff teams. Winning should always matter.
Last edited by gman on Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #15754  by Affirm
 Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:42 pm
gman wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:06 pm
Yadkin wrote:
Winning should always matter.
2 FBS = >$ than 1 FBS in most cases
...and dropping 1 FBS for 1 Big South does not necessarily guarantee we will have more wins ; we could beat the FBS school AND the Big South school, or beat the FBS school and lose to the Big South school
... assuming the $ amount is fair, we need the FBS for the $
 #15755  by Affirm
 Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:45 pm
gofurman wrote:
Yadkin wrote:
I am v well aware. I've done the research. I am pro-Furman. We had no excuse for ETSU.. none. and that kept us out

And yes, the lesson is - i agree - we need to schedule easier. WHich we KINDA did this year as best we could but it's hard when it's last minute. We play TWO FBS - WOfford plays ONE.. IF we lose both.. IF. then the best we can do vs D1 is 9-2 as Point doesn't count for D1. That is a slight concern. 9 wins, no worry. 8 wins should be in but its a slight issue. If we get to the bubble I hope that doesn't haunt us and we hear "Furman's win over D2 doesn't really count". That happened to somwone - UTC ( I think it was them ) - in a similar year of two FBS and a D2. Finished 8-4 w two FBS losses and a D2 win (so 7-2 vs FCS) and were left out. That's scary. there is precedent

I get it.. just win the conference outright. But why not schedule easier and have TWO paths to the playoffs - conference champ OR 8-4 w all FCS??? I wish we coulda had Davidson or Gardner Webb D1 instead of Point NAIA - that siad, I think the CSU game is a good thing.. let's do two regional games vs the likes of CSU and Gardner-Webb. And one FBS .. there is a whole list of Big South we could play and start w 2 wins pre-conference
I wish we could have gotten Davidson or Stetson or JU
 #15757  by gofurman
 Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:35 pm
affirm wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:45 pm
gofurman wrote:
Yadkin wrote:

I wish we could have gotten Davidson or Stetson or JU
Agree 100%. I bet they tried. Wonder who we play next year OOC ?
 #15758  by Paul C
 Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:09 pm
I KNOW they tried....
 #15761  by gofurman
 Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:35 pm
Paul C wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:09 pm
I KNOW they tried....
Yep, I should have been more clear. The staff tried. and they did a good job to get POINT.. football is a tough game to schedule without much advance warning.
 #15807  by ccoates
 Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:13 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:23 pm
PIcture this:

Flatbed Wrecker painted all purple with diamond F's on the Door.

Stripper pole in the middle of the bed.

Naked women covered head to toe in purple body paint taking turns dancing on the pole.

Large signs reading: FU ALL THE TIME on the sides and back.

Drive up and down Main Street on weekend evenings.

That should get some attention.

Plus a jail sentence.
 #15825  by AstroDin
 Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:53 am
IMO Hero Sports whiffed on Furman in their countdown of players from 1-99.
Citadel, Wofford, and ETSU each had two players on the list.
https://herosports.com/fcs/football-201 ... ences-bzbz

No #17 arguably the best kicker in FCS and a bet ad an NFL draft pick.
No #55 one of the top offensive linemen in the SoCon, I bring Bo up because Wofford, Citadel, and Mercer all got an OL on the list, what' sup?
No #81 this was flat out a mistake, Hope was one of the top freshmen in the country last season, is on everyone's all-American list, but was beat out by a second-team conference receiver?
 #15835  by ccoates
 Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:19 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:53 am
IMO Hero Sports whiffed on Furman in their countdown of players from 1-99.
Citadel, Wofford, and ETSU each had two players on the list.
https://herosports.com/fcs/football-201 ... ences-bzbz

No #17 arguably the best kicker in FCS and a bet ad an NFL draft pick.
No #55 one of the top offensive linemen in the SoCon, I bring Bo up because Wofford, Citadel, and Mercer all got an OL on the list, what' sup?
No #81 this was flat out a mistake, Hope was one of the top freshmen in the country last season, is on everyone's all-American list, but was beat out by a second-team conference receiver?

The 1-99 is based on uniform number. They are NOT (clearly) the 99 best in the division, though more than a few are top 100 material..

That having been said, I find it hard to believe that 17 and 81, two preseason All Americas, were shut out by a backup and a Coach's son.
AstroDin liked this
 #15842  by AstroDin
 Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:57 am
I have way too much time on my hands right now - long story.

I wrote to Sam Herder who wrote the article - I thought it would be fun to chat football. To my surprise he emailed me back right away.

I don't think Sam would mind if I share his response. "There are certainly arguments for all of those guys and they were considered. It’s also hard to argue against my selections. 81’s career accolades speaks for itself and he’s a pro prospect. 55 is the most underrated DE in the FCS and a pro prospect. 17 is a top safety and just a sophomore."

Sam went on to say that Hope was their #2 out of 120 players considered. And that isn't bad. He didn't say it but my guess is Grayson Atkins wasn't considered a top-tier candidate for the #17 spot.

Anyways Sam loves FCS football - seemed to have no issues emailing back and forth with an FCS football fan.
ccoates, MNORM liked this
 #15843  by ccoates
 Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:19 am
AstroDin wrote:

I wrote to Sam Herder who wrote the article - I thought it would be fun to chat football. To my surprise he emailed me back right away.

I don't think Sam would mind if I share his response. "There are certainly arguments for all of those guys and they were considered. It’s also hard to argue against my selections. 81’s career accolades speaks for itself and he’s a pro prospect. 55 is the most underrated DE in the FCS and a pro prospect. 17 is a top safety and just a sophomore."

Sam went on to say that Hope was their #2 out of 120 players considered. And that isn't bad. He didn't say it but my guess is Grayson Atkins wasn't considered a top-tier candidate for the #17 spot.

Anyways Sam loves FCS football - seemed to have no issues emailing back and forth with an FCS football fan.

Good stuff, Astrodin. There are worse ways to spend your extra time. Reading the Greenvile NEWS, or any Gannett rag for that matter is one such.
 #15846  by gofurman
 Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:58 am
AstroDin wrote:

Astro, thanks for sharing ! Sounds like they did their research better than most FCS etc. At least he could defend his opinons which is all they are. Souinds like it was down to Hope and the other guy. I too am with ya' that Atkins didn't garner more respect but also sometimes people forget Kickers - a HUGE mistake as kickers change game outcomes !!
 #15849  by AstroDin
 Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:16 am
Things like a list still come down to some level of subjectivity.

Does a kicker have more value than a top-flight safety?
Hope has a receiver number (81) so on a list like this, he's compared to an offensive player.
In the end - who cares and who will remember at the end of the season.

Furman is a poster-child for a team, lots of talent but know more for teamwork. I think this will change in the future. Furman has a lot of young players that I believe I will be impact players.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.