• Offensive RBs

#15767  by gofurman
 Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:39 pm
https://furmanpaladins.com/news/2019/8/ ... backs.aspx

This seems to keep being said in many of our write-ups ----- good stuff as we are getting the depth we want now though probably a year away from full depth .. "Devin was really solid last year. He is one of those guys we didn't want to have to play two years ago as a true freshman but had to because of circumstances"

The reason I say we are still a year away is guys like Devin may now be redshirted and he wasn't. If he came into the program now maybe he would get a redshirt like Abrams. As of last year we were still playing freshman like Watkins, Hodge and Bell - though now that I look at it we only have 5 true Sophomores so that's great. only 5 guys who did not redshirt last year. so maybe we are about where we need to be - there will always be a few standouts that get on the field
 #15777  by FUBeAR
 Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:37 am
...as opposed to Defensive RBs?
AstroDin liked this
 #15786  by AstroDin
 Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:26 am
gofurman wrote:

This seems to keep being said in many of our write-ups ----- good stuff as we are getting the depth we want now though probably a year away from full depth .. "Devin was really solid last year. He is one of those guys we didn't want to have to play two years ago as a true freshman but had to because of circumstances"

The reason I say we are still a year away is guys like Devin may now be redshirted and he wasn't. If he came into the program now maybe he would get a redshirt like Abrams. As of last year we were still playing freshman like Watkins, Hodge and Bell - though now that I look at it we only have 5 true Sophomores so that's great. only 5 guys who did not redshirt last year. so maybe we are about where we need to be - there will always be a few standouts that get on the field
I don't buy it that - redshirting is a reason why Furman is a year away. No doubt based on paper Furman will be a very experienced team next year. This will be year three of the CCH era. Clay came in, he had a vision for the program, and he needed players that could play now. He had no choice.

Devin playing as a true freshman - led him to his standing today as one of the top SoCon runningbacks. Same goes for Watkins playing as a true freshman. Now here comes Wayne Anderson, the kid can flat out play if you looked at his high school film, I had little doubt he will be on the field in 2019. It's a reality.

Maybe after a complete cycle of players - an Anderson, Wynn, Watkins can't find a spot.

One note on the running backs - gotta feeling Jasper will second this. Watching drills several times this pres-season the backs are impressive catching the ball. It won't matter who is on the field RB or TB they can all catch the ball.
 #15788  by Jasper
 Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:14 am
They sure can catch the ball and can run like crazy after they do. We seem to be throwing to them more this year as well.
FUKA61 liked this
 #15803  by gofurman
 Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:03 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:26 am
gofurman wrote:

I don't buy it that - redshirting is a reason why Furman is a year away. No doubt based on paper Furman will be a very experienced team next year. This will be year three of the CCH era. Clay came in, he had a vision for the program, and he needed players that could play now. He had no choice.

Devin playing as a true freshman - led him to his standing today as one of the top SoCon runningbacks. Same goes for Watkins playing as a true freshman. Now here comes Wayne Anderson, the kid can flat out play if you looked at his high school film, I had little doubt he will be on the field in 2019. It's a reality.

Maybe after a complete cycle of players - an Anderson, Wynn, Watkins can't find a spot.

One note on the running backs - gotta feeling Jasper will second this. Watching drills several times this pres-season the backs are impressive catching the ball. It won't matter who is on the field RB or TB they can all catch the ball.
I admit I probably should not have said we are 'a year away'... I just meant what I bolded in your statement. Would they all play as true FR at NDSU?? I doubt it. The real goal is for maybe only 3 to play as true. FR. Think of CH tenure this way... yr 1 he has to play who he has to play - v little depth. CH has repeated that many times. Year two he has guys he recruited but was only able to sell "Furman as a school" and not a winning tradition.. though the recruiting was good. Year three now he is selling "Furman + good football". It takes 5 years for it to fully be your team.. easily.

I didn't meant this 2019 team isn't good. I hope they are great. Just meant the same as you.. if some of the 2017 guys came in now (not specifically RBs) I think we might have been able to Redshirt them. We are v close to where we want to be w depth now. CH even says if Wynn came in to a better situation he would have redshirted him. Which means Anderson must be good to play as a true Fr now !

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.