• Furman ranked #17 in Coaches Poll

#15643  by Flagman
 Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:15 pm
A 3-0 start will improve that ranking. even a 2-1 start will be good for us. All of this is dependent on the pollsters being more insightful than in the past. Perhaps we need to post the names of the voters for this poll, realizing at the beginning that the coaches' themselves rarely cast their own votes.
DeepPurple liked this
 #15644  by Jasper
 Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:20 pm
Vegas would likely make us the favorite against half the teams ranked above Furman and that includes Wofford. I also think that Mercer, who is nowhere to be found, will be in the top 25 during the season. Wofford didn't give us much of a game last year and we were life and death to beat Mercer from behind even with their using a 3rd string, little used QB for much of the game. Coaches are voting out of habit in Wofford's case.
 #15645  by gman
 Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:23 pm
Flagman wrote:
A 3-0 start will improve that ranking. even a 2-1 start will be good for us. All of this is dependent on the pollsters being more insightful than in the past. Perhaps we need to post the names of the voters for this poll, realizing at the beginning that the coaches' themselves rarely cast their own votes.
Good opinion article on this poll. https://herosports.com/fcs/football-coa ... oblem-bzbz
 #15647  by MNORM
 Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:58 pm
Jasper wrote:
Vegas would likely make us the favorite against half the teams ranked above Furman and that includes Wofford. I also think that Mercer, who is nowhere to be found, will be in the top 25 during the season. Wofford didn't give us much of a game last year and we were life and death to beat Mercer from behind even with their using a 3rd string, little used QB for much of the game. Coaches are voting out of habit in Wofford's case.
Agreed. I had Mercer ranked 23rd in my AGS preseason poll.
 #15650  by Flagman
 Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:01 pm
gman wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:23 pm
Flagman wrote:
Good opinion article on this poll. https://herosports.com/fcs/football-coa ... oblem-bzbz
Good find, gman. Good read.
 #15656  by gofurman
 Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:34 pm
Jasper wrote:
And this. Mercer scares the shizz out of me. . BL can coach a QB. We were lucky To win w a HS QB and a gimpy 2nd string QB who couldn’t move. Mercer’s gonna win several this year
 #15657  by Flagman
 Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:17 pm
gofurman wrote:
Jasper wrote:
And this. Mercer scares the shizz out of me. . BL can coach a QB. We were lucky To win w a HS QB and a gimpy 2nd string QB who couldn’t move. Mercer’s gonna win several this year
Just not the Furman game.
dornb and 1 others liked this
 #15666  by The Jackal
 Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:15 am
gofurman wrote:
Jasper wrote:
Furman wasn't "lucky" to beat Mercer. Furman was the better team, played on the road, led nearly the entire game, and won. Mercer played tough, fought for four quarters, and came up short. Luck really didn't have anything to do with it.

There is a lot of parity in this conference. The games aren't meant to be walkaways. Every team has talent. Every team is going to play close games this season.

Furman is going to have to show up every week ready to play.
DeepPurple, MNORM, FUpaladin08 and 3 others liked this
 #15683  by gofurman
 Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:07 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:15 am
gofurman wrote:
Jasper wrote:
Furman wasn't "lucky" to beat Mercer. Furman was the better team, played on the road, led nearly the entire game, and won. Mercer played tough, fought for four quarters, and came up short. Luck really didn't have anything to do with it.

There is a lot of parity in this conference. The games aren't meant to be walkaways. Every team has talent. Every team is going to play close games this season.

Furman is going to have to show up every week ready to play.
Maybe I should say we were lucky to face the third string QB who didn't play much for his High School ! And then the next guy could hardly move - he had no mobility. It's not much different than the year we were on our 4th string QB and lost a lot of games. We complained about that. So, to be fair, Mercer had a legit 'excuse' last year. The fact they pushed us with that level of QB says something.

I hope we win this year. It's a tough conference
Jasper liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.