• Billy Napier

#15557  by fufanatic
 Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:08 pm
Think the idea around it makes a lot of sense - especially the part about building affinity for the university - but it's a bad optic to be sure, especially in today's climate. Based on the article they walked it back pretty quickly, which is smart. I think a better approach would be to make all current student-athletes honorary members starting at $0 a year with the hopes that many will stay on following graduation at $50 a year or whatever figure you come up with.
 #15565  by FUBeAR
 Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:54 pm
While at FU, appreciative of all the Paladin Club was doing for him, FUBeAR pawned his gold HS class ring to get $50 so that he could donate it to....

...buy a keg. Ain’t no way that fi’ty was goin’ to the PC. Young men must have priorities, y’know!

Not sure about today’s Players, but back in the day, we were all dead broke all the time.

FRIEND-raising must precede fundraising.

#15573  by Affirm
 Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:37 am
FUBeAR wrote:
While at FU, appreciative of all the Paladin Club was doing for him, FUBeAR pawned his gold HS class ring to get $50 so that he could donate it to....

...buy a keg. Ain’t no way that fi’ty was goin’ to the PC. Young men must have priorities, y’know!

Not sure about today’s Players, but back in the day, we were all dead broke all the time.

Although the “mandatory” part would not be the right idea, I like the move by Napier to encourage the greatest possible participation by scholarship athletes in the support organization. It should be done at Furman. And it should not be zero cost to those who join, but at least some amount, even if only $10 per year. And it should not be a lifetime reduced annual amount for membership post-graduation - though certainly post-graduation membership should be sought, encouraged, and received.
Scholarship athletes do and should indicate some definite personal awareness of and support for the funding of athletics programs at Furman - not just what they individually give in practice, competition, travel, physical output, injury, pain, effort, engagement, etc. (Recently, I read that Bucknell had 100% participation of all their graduating scholar athletes this year. I like that.)
 #15574  by Affirm
 Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:38 am
FUBeAR wrote:

Although the “mandatory” part would not be the right idea, I like the move by Napier to encourage the greatest possible participation by scholarship athletes in the support organization. It should be done at Furman. And it should not be zero cost to those who join, but at least some amount, even if only $10 per year. And it should not be a lifetime reduced annual amount for membership post-graduation - though certainly post-graduation membership should be sought, encouraged, and received.
Scholarship athletes do and should indicate some definite personal awareness of and support for the funding of athletics programs at Furman - not just what they individually give in practice, competition, travel, physical output, injury, pain, effort, engagement, etc. (Recently, I read that Bucknell had 100% participation of all their graduating scholar athletes this year. I like that.)
 #15579  by Flagman
 Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:45 am
When I was on the Paladin Club board many years ago, we made an effort to increase participation from former athletes. It's probably better now, but I can't confirm it. The FFPA has probably increased participation in fund-raising, but those are not scholarship dollars. All $$$ is needed.
 #15631  by fufanatic
 Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:18 am
Would be curious to know if Napier is a yearly donor to the Paladin Club or the university ...
din23, FUBeAR, Affirm and 1 others liked this
 #15633  by FUBeAR
 Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:58 am
affirm wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:

Just guessin’ - Sales/Marketing - not your career choice?
 #15634  by Affirm
 Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:53 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
affirm wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:

snide
Jasper liked this
 #15652  by FUBeAR
 Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:10 pm
affirm wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:53 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
affirm wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:

snide
Why “snide?” The world needs Actuaries too, y’know.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.