• Day 2 Observations

#15232  by The Jackal
 Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:14 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:05 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:27 am
So, here's that play in real time. Debateably, the wrong read by the QB, who probably should have kept the ball, but the result was a good one.

What I find interesting on that play is that the "second" back in the formation was Corey Watkins. Perhaps in 2018 the team felt it needed two tailbacks in the backfield to make the option work. Maybe in 2019 they feel comfortable keeping the RB in the formation and doing the same thing.
That’s a trap with option ‘window dressing.’ Yes, a ‘trap option’ is a thing, but pretty sure that one is a pre-determined trap, instead of a “wrong read.”
Could very well be.

That's what happens when a defensive lineman takes one step too many into the backfield.
DeepPurple liked this
 #15238  by Jasper
 Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:40 pm
Evan Jumper and indeed the entire offensive line looked very, very good today. BTW, someone asked if Godwin was playing and yes he is. He's is on the 2nd line unit now and looks like he is moving very well.
Tomorrow is the first day of full pads so I think a lot of the competitive positions will be cleared up a bit once that begins. It looks to me like we have at least 10 interchangeable parts on the OL right now and I fully expect a couple of these freshmen to develop quickly enough.

The QB competition remained pretty much the same today but I continue to be impressed by Sisson's play execution and pinpoint short passing. They are both critical in this offense.

We have an exceptional group of running backs on this squad. They all hit the hole very quickly, run hard and are shifty and fast in the open field. The combination of a deep and very talented offensive line in front of this group of running backs is going to be very formidable this season. They will be coming at defenses in waves. The keen competition for playing time in each unit is going to produce some hungry guys out there with a belly full of determination. Furman loves to use a brutal running attack to set up its quick strike passing game and they sure look able to do that this season but this running game is going to bust a few to the house as well.
DeepPurple, PalaDad, FUBeAR and 2 others liked this
 #15239  by gofurman
 Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:46 pm
Jasper wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:40 pm
Evan Jumper and indeed the entire offensive line looked very, very good today. BTW, someone asked if Godwin was playing and yes he is. He's is on the 2nd line unit now and looks like he is moving very well.
Tomorrow is the first day of full pads so I think a lot of the competitive positions will be cleared up a bit once that begins. It looks to me like we have at least 10 interchangeable parts on the OL right now and I fully expect a couple of these freshmen to develop quickly enough.

The QB competition remained pretty much the same today but I continue to be impressed by Sisson's play execution and pinpoint short passing. They are both critical in this offense.

We have an exceptional group of running backs on this squad. They all hit the hole very quickly, run hard and are shifty and fast in the open field. The combination of a deep and very talented offensive line in front of this group of running backs is going to be very formidable this season. They will be coming at defenses in waves. The keen competition for playing time in each unit is going to produce some hungry guys out there with a belly full of determination. Furman loves to use a brutal running attack to set up its quick strike passing game and they sure look able to do that this season but this running game is going to bust a few to the house as well.
Jasper, thanks for the info on Godwin! And thanks for the reports - we appreciate these !
paladinduece liked this
 #15245  by Jasper
 Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:34 pm
You are very welcome. It's one of the many benefits of retirement. Now if I can only remember to leave when the team does. :)
Huck, paladinduece liked this
 #15254  by FUBeAR
 Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:15 am
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:40 pm
"It's just my job to catch the ball, sir."

...if he had only added... “...and block like my life depends on it,” at the end of that sentence, FUBeAR mighta gotten all misty-eyed.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.