• Just wishful thinking./.

#14858  by gofurman
 Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:40 pm
This year it's either Shiflett w 4 years QB experience - 4 of HS QB- since MTSU had him play WR...
Or Grainger w ony two(!) years of QB experience (that's almost unheard of to be so inexperienced) - one year of HS QB and one year as a red-shirt for us last year...
Or Sisson in his 6th year of QB (4 in HS and one for us last year)

That's a BIG difference from Blaze having 8 years and D1 experience and Roberts having 8 years QB experience.

Thus, I do wish our schedule was a little different.

W a new QB - that likely affects the first 5/6 games the most - I would prefer Georgia State be after V Tech so it would be his 3rd game.

I wish we had VMI and POINT earlier too .. that way our 2019 QB could get more practice before tougher SoCon games.

As a point of worthless interest here was my ranking of games / toughest to easiest... and now in order of WHEN we play them:

1st game / 10th hardest game -Charleston Southern - I HOPE this is easy. Let's get a daggum win early. Though all games are tough as CSU played a good game vs Elon in 2018 which we DID NOT. That said, Monmouth, Kennesaw and Citadel killed them in 2018. At Furman.
*Fine with this as a first game

2nd game / 2nd hardest game- Georgia State.. they are top 15 FCS worthy and I think(?) they are a throwing team. Bad matchup. On other hand they struggled stopping the run last year. Much more winnable than VTech. AWAY Game.
*I really wish we played VTech first and this one nearer to October or a week or two later.

3rd game -VTech - obviously this is The hardest game. So much athleticism; heat and depth in September... AWAY game. By far our most probable loss, so I wish we had this as our second game

4th game - 5th hardest game. Mercer. Oh boy. If they had Riddle all game I think we lose last year. They lost a lot at WR and edge rush and it's at FU but this is always a scary game for me. The RB is a BEAST for them (Devezin?). They were injury-riddled last year otherwise they woulda had 2 more wins or so. In 2017 we won by converting 4 fourth downs to keep their offense off the field. At Furman
*Really wish we had them a week or two later

5th game. 7th hardest game. -ETSU. We should win this at home. Have to stop the freakin' pass. Meltdown last year... Now. At Furman.
Fine with this one being here.. QB should be getting better by now I hope

6th game. - 6th hardest game? Samford. This and Mercer are such freakin' scary games the last few years. I HOPE the loss of the QB, great WR, and Gooden on DL (three NFL posssibles) finally let's us get this one. They have taken 5 of last 6 I think? If we can get this I will feel good. If we can go 2-1 vs ETSU, Mercer, Samford I will feel good as I think those plus us and Wofford are top half teams w Citadel very close. AWAY game.

7th game - 8th hardest game? Citadel. w two weeks to prep for option I like this. Citadel may be better than last year though and honestly a good team w better QB and good OL play. At Furman I'll put it here.
Home and two weeks to prep. Fine with where this game is on schedule

8th game - should win this? WCU. the 'Whee always scares me. They seem to scare everyone when game is in mountains. Best player in conference in Tyrie Adams. But they struggle on D and lost 4 of 5 OL. AWAY game.
By now, no excuses.

9th game. - Chatt. Not sure w new coaches. Probably better coaching but they lost two NFL types on DL and at DB a great one. AWAY game.
By now, no excuses.

10th game 11th hardest game - very easy. Only Ppoint should be easier.
- VMI - You saw last year's game. At Furman
REALLY wish this could be our 4th or 5th game.

11th game - Wofford. As much as anything I like our match here. If we can pass well like last year we could win. Also, McKoy and LBs etc. have seen the option a lot by now and will have played the Citadel prior to Wofford in 2019. And two weeks for Citadel prep this yr. That's a lotta option practice. :) We will need a NG to play well and stop the dive like Reid did last year. The home team wins A LOT in this series and thus where I rank this one. AWAY game.
No excuses. two weeks prep for Citadel. then Wofford later.. that's possibly three weeks of option prep !

12th game Point - NAIA At home etc.
Easiest game. WIsh it were in September or October.
Also REALLY wish it were a D1 easy school like Davidson !!! NAIA games are not counted towards playoffs !?!?

Thoughts on schedule or that Point is NAIA ?
 #14859  by gofurman
 Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:07 pm
Also, I really could see Georgia State (sort of - that one is more of a "bonus")... but definitely Mercer, ETSU and Samford are such key games. By the end of Samford which is only our 6th game I hope we are 3-3 - if we are at least 3-3 by then I will be happy. W a new QB and the remaining schedule I could see us finishing 8-4 even w a 3-3 start.
just my .02

interested in others thoughts. Really do hate the Mercer to ETSU to Samford back-to-back-to-back

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:18 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.