• Greenville SC Byline, 3/25/23 ACC Article -excerpts & question

#69826  by Affirm
 Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:17 pm
Greenville SC Byline, 3/25/23 ACC Article -excerpts & question
The question is: how might this affect our chances of getting any OOC games against ACC schools, at least 8 of which we are geographically "close to" (GT, CU, WFU, UNC, DU, NCSU, VT, UVA) (if being geographically close even has any bearing these days on what "big name teams" get get to play OOC in regular season? ... perhaps we have to just play whoever we can get a game with, whether it's Minnesota or Oregon State or whoever) Will it make it even that much harder for Furman to get to play ACC teams like NCSU this year, Duke last year, Clemson who knows when, etc.? Or will it somehow improve our chances to play such teams, especially if we remain as good a program as we all hope?
"GREENVILLE, S.C. -- ACC commissioner Jim Phillips told ESPN on Saturday that he will meet with his league's ... coaches and athletic directors as soon as the season ends to discuss ways to be more "proactive" and "aggressive" in changing the narrative surrounding the conference.…
"We have to portray ourselves in a different way, and maybe it's our scheduling, maybe it's our providing information back to the committee, ... going to be aggressive in how we look at it -- ... also ... proactive," Phillips said. "We feel the narrative hasn't been quite right the last two years. We're going to try to do something about that ....
"… we're going to try to make it easier for them from an ACC standpoint to make sure we're structured and set up in a way where we will have more teams in the tournament in the future based on merit."…
… he believes the men's basketball selection committee has become too reliant on the NET rankings to evaluate teams, rather than just evaluating teams based on the way they play.
"... too much attention to the NET… "It does not reward teams that play 20 conference games versus 18 or less, and so that's one of the things I'm hopeful in the future we don't spend more time on or put more credence to it. I think it deserves less. … the eye test,… I think that's been ignored. ... sit down and watch these games and ... who the best players are. …."……
Phillips also noted that the transfer portal has affected rosters in a way that did not have to be considered even five years ago and that that has a huge effect on early nonconference games.
"So much is put into that early season," …. "The rosters aren't the same as they've been in the past. Teams don't look the same in November, December as they do in February and March, so this idea the conference cannibalizes each other, we're going to have to really look at the nonconference. I'm not sure you can take as much merit from a game in November as you can late in the year. …
"This new day of college basketball is really present, and the influx of roster changes really does differentiate between a team that's returning seven or eight in the fall versus somebody that has seven or eight new players that's going to look quite different at the end of the year."…
"… going to look at how we're scheduling nonconference and some of the metrics. ….
"
 #69832  by Louis Tully
 Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:06 pm
Basically:

We can’t be scared anymore. Clemson needs to play Furman and College of Charleston.
 #69834  by Affirm
 Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:50 pm
I hope that what you say is basically what it means. I gladly acknowledge there are many people on here who know much better how to interpret what the ACC Commissioner and others are and will be saying about what the selection committee needs to give more value to, and whether it would help or hurt Furman. I am not obsessed with us playing Clemson or not playing Clemson; but I do want our times to increase for playing “Power 6” or otherwise “big-name” programs for OOC regular season games.
( I realize that 2 of the Final Four now are NOT Power 6 schools.)
 #69849  by FUBeAR
 Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:07 am
Phillips said. "…hasn't been…right the last two years...we're going…to make sure…we…have more teams in the tournament…”

Ol’ boy needs to check his P5 privilege.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:09 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.