• The State of college basketball

#62995  by GOAT
 Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:21 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:33 am
affirm wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:58 am
Turnaround jump shot by Andrew Carr with 1.3 sec left gave Wake a 1-pt win over victim App Wed night in front of 7800 in WS. App led by 6 at half and by 1 at 1.3 sec before that turnaround hump shot went in. Our win at App maybe looks slightly better now in that perspective. I haven’t checked to see how Wake is doing otherwise so far. Obviously a big name, Wake is a program that Furman would supposedly like to play and beat.
… Oh … OK … Wake lost by 20 to Clemson 2-weeks ago, 3 days after beating #22 Wisconsin.
Apparently Wake slept through the 2nd half at Littlejohn? Wake goes to Rutgers tomorrow and hosts #12 Duke 4 days from now.
…not off the glass though
I was also at this game. Back in the day one of the primary defensive fundamentals was you stayed between your man and the ball. It was called ball, you, man. Watch the last play, the defensive player lets the player cut right in front of him to go towards the ball. There was also another defensive player behind him guarding the basket and would have intercepted any lob pass. Also ASU had the ball out of bounds with 2.1 sec left. They threw the ball away. All they had to do was throw it down the court and touch the ball and they would have won. Basic fundamental plays are missing from todays game.
Last edited by GOAT on Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #62996  by GOAT
 Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:34 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:33 am
FurmAlum wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:44 pm
I grew up on Tobacco Road too in a mill town in N.C. loving the Tar Heels and Dean Smith and all those great Carolina players. Also liked Indiana and Coach Knight and also UCLA and Coach Wooden.

I would be willing to bet that the great UCLA teams of the late 60's and early 70's, Carolina's '82 and '93 Championship team's and Indiana's '76 and '87 Championship teams would beat Duke's current crop of 5 freshmen, Kentucky's one and done's, any other team in college basketball by at least 30 points.

And speaking of turn-around jump shots banked off the board, Bill Walton and Kareem Abdul Jabbar would embarrass every big man now playing college ball. I can't remember the last time I saw that type of shot.

John Wooden would turn over in his grave if he had to watch some of these games.
You must be a SERIOUS Tar Hole fan if you forced yourself to omit NC State’s David Thompson, Tommy Burleson, Derek Whittenberg, Jim Valavano, and State’s NCAA Championship Teams of 1974 & 1983 from that post. That Wolfpack ‘74 Team interrupted Wooden’s / UCLA’s dynasty after 7 straight NCAA Championships, whipped (your) Bill Walton in doing so, and would beat those Teams of today that you named by at least 31 points! :)

Might be able to tell FUBeAR was quite a State FAN. Hard not to be when Papa FUBeAR had been the Team Bus Driver for Wolfpack Football and Hoops in the 50’s…during the Everett Case era and FUBeAR was hawking drinks in Reynolds Coliseum and Carter Stadium during his teen years…around ‘73 to ‘76. Saw some pretty dang good hoops while he was making change and making bank. Those steps in Reynolds were STEEP though!

FUBeAR also worked as a ‘stringer’ for CBS Sports during March Madness in ‘84 in CLT & ATL - sat mid-court with Billy Packer (FUBeAR’s job was placing the little basketballs showing shot locations on Billy’s magnetic board) and Gary Bender for the Regional Finals in Atlanta (UNC (Jordan et al), Syracuse (Pearl Washington), Indiana (Steve Alford, Uwe Blab), and Virginia (Olden Polynice, Othell Wilson, Rick Carlisle). UVa beat IU by 2 in the Finals. Coach Knight was not happy. Another FUBeAR job was to get Coach Knight for a post-game interview (they didn’t have to in those days)…He declined, but was actually quite courteous, surprisingly, when he did…considering the situation and his reputation for volatility. Anyway….fun times.

FUBeAR wishes he loved college hoops like that now… :cry:
I think the 74 and 83 teams are the only National Championships NCSU has won in any sport. Is that correct? And I think NCSU has not won an ACC Championship in football, basketball or baseball in 30 years. Correct me if I am wrong. But David Thompson was the best college player I ever saw.
Last edited by GOAT on Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #62997  by FUBeAR
 Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:52 am
GOAT wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
FurmAlum wrote:
I grew up on Tobacco Road too in a mill town in N.C. loving the Tar Heels and Dean Smith and all those great Carolina players. Also liked Indiana and Coach Knight and also UCLA and Coach Wooden.

I would be willing to bet that the great UCLA teams of the late 60's and early 70's, Carolina's '82 and '93 Championship team's and Indiana's '76 and '87 Championship teams would beat Duke's current crop of 5 freshmen, Kentucky's one and done's, any other team in college basketball by at least 30 points.

And speaking of turn-around jump shots banked off the board, Bill Walton and Kareem Abdul Jabbar would embarrass every big man now playing college ball. I can't remember the last time I saw that type of shot.

John Wooden would turn over in his grave if he had to watch some of these games.
You must be a SERIOUS Tar Hole fan if you forced yourself to omit NC State’s David Thompson, Tommy Burleson, Derek Whittenberg, Jim Valavano, and State’s NCAA Championship Teams of 1974 & 1983 from that post. That Wolfpack ‘74 Team interrupted Wooden’s / UCLA’s dynasty after 7 straight NCAA Championships, whipped (your) Bill Walton in doing so, and would beat those Teams of today that you named by at least 31 points! :)

Might be able to tell FUBeAR was quite a State FAN. Hard not to be when Papa FUBeAR had been the Team Bus Driver for Wolfpack Football and Hoops in the 50’s…during the Everett Case era and FUBeAR was hawking drinks in Reynolds Coliseum and Carter Stadium during his teen years…around ‘73 to ‘76. Saw some pretty dang good hoops while he was making change and making bank. Those steps in Reynolds were STEEP though!

FUBeAR also worked as a ‘stringer’ for CBS Sports during March Madness in ‘84 in CLT & ATL - sat mid-court with Billy Packer (FUBeAR’s job was placing the little basketballs showing shot locations on Billy’s magnetic board) and Gary Bender for the Regional Finals in Atlanta (UNC (Jordan et al), Syracuse (Pearl Washington), Indiana (Steve Alford, Uwe Blab), and Virginia (Olden Polynice, Othell Wilson, Rick Carlisle). UVa beat IU by 2 in the Finals. Coach Knight was not happy. Another FUBeAR job was to get Coach Knight for a post-game interview (they didn’t have to in those days)…He declined, but was actually quite courteous, surprisingly, when he did…considering the situation and his reputation for volatility. Anyway….fun times.

I think the 74 and 83 teams are the only National Championships NCSU has won in any sport. Is that correct? And I think NCSU has not one an ACC Championship in football, basketball or baseball in 30 years. Correct me if I am wrong. But David Thompson was the best college player I ever saw.
No idea.

FUBeAR’s NC State Fan days ended in 1977 when Asst Football Coach (at the time) & Raleigh area Recruiter, Chuck Amato, had no interest in even speaking with Raleigh native & dedicated NC State FAN, FUBeAR…who WAS being recruited by UNC, Duke, and Wake Forest.

Became a Wolfpack Football Fan again after the 1985 season, for obvious reasons…but that came to an immediate halt in 2000 when that same Chuck Amato engineered the firing of Mike O’Cain so he could come in and be the Wolfpack’s messiah…except he was fired 3 years after Phillip Rivers stopped winning games for him. FUBeAR is not a Chuck Amato fan.

And, yes, David Thompson was the best basketball Player to ever grace the universe with his presence.
 #62999  by Affirm
 Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:00 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:33 am
affirm wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:58 am
Turnaround jump shot by Andrew Carr with 1.3 sec left gave Wake a 1-pt win over victim App Wed night in front of 7800 in WS. App led by 6 at half and by 1 at 1.3 sec before that turnaround hump shot went in. Our win at App maybe looks slightly better now in that perspective. I haven’t checked to see how Wake is doing otherwise so far. Obviously a big name, Wake is a program that Furman would supposedly like to play and beat.
… Oh … OK … Wake lost by 20 to Clemson 2-weeks ago, 3 days after beating #22 Wisconsin.
Apparently Wake slept through the 2nd half at Littlejohn? Wake goes to Rutgers tomorrow and hosts #12 Duke 4 days from now.
…not off the glass though
Right. Not off the glass. Not banked off the backboard
 #63009  by FU Hoopla
 Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:41 am
Again Ill say, see Furman basketball from 1980 until 2015, what was our style of play?

Since nobody wants to answer Ill tell you, it was basically what some of you described you would like to see, and it did not work at all.

Glad we are playing the style that we have switched too since 2015, its been a bit more successful for us ;)
 #63013  by GOAT
 Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:00 am
FU Hoopla wrote:
Again Ill say, see Furman basketball from 1980 until 2015, what was our style of play?

Since nobody wants to answer Ill tell you, it was basically what some of you described you would like to see, and it did not work at all.

Glad we are playing the style that we have switched too since 2015, its been a bit more successful for us ;)
The style that you play does not control whether you win when you are playing against a similar style . How well you play and how well the other team plays controls whether you win. Also talent matters. From 1980- 2015 many of the teams we played against had better talent than we did. I just wonder if a team of similar talent that played more like the teams did in the 80's would beat a team that plays like what we see today. Again, the teams we beat and lose too today are pretty much doing the same thing we do. Also in the 80's we played UNC, NCSU, USC and Clemson almost every year, plus some other good teams like Depaul and others. While we win more games now, our schedule is much easier.
 #63016  by FU Hoopla
 Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:27 am
GOAT wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:00 am
FU Hoopla wrote:

The style that you play does not control whether you win when you are playing against a similar style . How well you play and how well the other team plays controls whether you win. Also talent matters. From 1980- 2015 many of the teams we played against had better talent than we did. I just wonder if a team of similar talent that played more like the teams did in the 80's would beat a team that plays like what we see today. Again, the teams we beat and lose too today are pretty much doing the same thing we do. Also in the 80's we played UNC, NCSU, USC and Clemson almost every year, plus some other good teams like Depaul and others. While we win more games now, our schedule is much easier.

So now we get to the bottom of it, its not a style thing its a talent thing.

If its talent then give me all the most talented three point shooters in the country and we will smoke everyone ;)
 #63021  by Jasper
 Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:01 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:52 am
GOAT wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
FurmAlum wrote:

I think the 74 and 83 teams are the only National Championships NCSU has won in any sport. Is that correct? And I think NCSU has not one an ACC Championship in football, basketball or baseball in 30 years. Correct me if I am wrong. But David Thompson was the best college player I ever saw.
No idea.

FUBeAR’s NC State Fan days ended in 1977 when Asst Football Coach (at the time) & Raleigh area Recruiter, Chuck Amato, had no interest in even speaking with Raleigh native & dedicated NC State FAN, FUBeAR…who WAS being recruited by UNC, Duke, and Wake Forest.

Became a Wolfpack Football Fan again after the 1985 season, for obvious reasons…but that came to an immediate halt in 2000 when that same Chuck Amato engineered the firing of Mike O’Cain so he could come in and be the Wolfpack’s messiah…except he was fired 3 years after Phillip Rivers stopped winning games for him. FUBeAR is not a Chuck Amato fan.

And, yes, David Thompson was the best basketball Player to ever grace the universe with his presence.
Wow. Olden Polynice - from All Hallows HS in the Bronx. Great name. Watched him beat my alma mater at The Garden back in the 80's.
 #63030  by GOAT
 Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:34 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:29 am
Yes, 70's were good here but.......

FYI, our 80's teams were quite awful
Why were our teams in the 80's bad. Because of the style we played ( if I remember correctly the teams that beat us played a similar style), talent, coaching, the other teams were better or some other reason?
 #63032  by FUBeAR
 Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:09 pm
GOAT wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:

Why were our teams in the 80's bad. Because of the style we played ( if I remember correctly the teams that beat us played a similar style), talent, coaching, the other teams were better or some other reason?
Have heard they weren’t as well compensated as the Furman Teams of the 70’s.

Hey…Maybe money is a motivator after all.
GOAT, FU Hoopla liked this
 #63034  by GOAT
 Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:34 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:09 pm
GOAT wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:

Have heard they weren’t as well compensated as the Furman Teams of the 70’s.

Hey…Maybe money is a motivator after all.
I think there is a lot of truth to what you speak.
 #63048  by FurmAlum
 Fri Dec 16, 2022 4:22 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
FurmAlum wrote:

Didn't mean to omit those State teams on purpose. I liked them too. The '74 and '83 teams would beat any team today by 30 or more.

Here's an anecdote. My high school team came within 2 games of playing Thompson's team for the 1971 WNCHSAA State Championship. The team we lost to (Boyden High of Salisbury) beat us then another team and then beat Thompson's Crest High School team for the title. Boyden had 5 really good players and Crest had Thompson and not too much else. Boyden had a guy named Kenny Holt, who was an All-State QB on the football team and went on to play for Florida A & M I think. Their point guard was Sheldon Shippman who went on to play for UNC Charlotte's NCAA final four basketball team in 1976.

Another player that I played against in high school that played for Lexington was Clarence Cotton, who also was a football All-Stater who went on to play for N.C. State. Another one was E.Z. Smith who played for Concord and was an All-State lineman in football and also kicked field goals, but was also a good basketball player. He played FB for Carolina in college.

FUBeAR do you remember any of those players??
 #63049  by FUBeAR
 Fri Dec 16, 2022 4:30 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 4:22 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
FurmAlum wrote:

Didn't mean to omit those State teams on purpose. I liked them too. The '74 and '83 teams would beat any team today by 30 or more.

Here's an anecdote. My high school team came within 2 games of playing Thompson's team for the 1971 WNCHSAA State Championship. The team we lost to (Boyden High of Salisbury) beat us then another team and then beat Thompson's Crest High School team for the title. Boyden had 5 really good players and Crest had Thompson and not too much else. Boyden had a guy named Kenny Holt, who was an All-State QB on the football team and went on to play for Florida A & M I think. Their point guard was Sheldon Shippman who went on to play for UNC Charlotte's NCAA final four basketball team in 1976.

Another player that I played against in high school that played for Lexington was Clarence Cotton, who also was a football All-Stater who went on to play for N.C. State. Another one was E.Z. Smith who played for Concord and was an All-State lineman in football and also kicked field goals, but was also a good basketball player. He played FB for Carolina in college.

FUBeAR do you remember any of those players??
Clarence Cotton is the only one that sounded familiar. Don’t really recall him, but FUBeAR knew his DE running buddy, the INSANE Ron Banther … https://d.lib.ncsu.edu/collections/cat ... 603%2C5135
 #63057  by FU Hoopla
 Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:35 pm
Offensive end:

'Furman has averaged 81.5 points per game, which ranks 35th nationally. The Paladins are sixth nationally in assists per game and 16th in effective field goal percentage.'

Defensive end:

Now that's where we need to get ALOT better/tougher!
LB1987 liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:09 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.