• Ohio State vs Clempson

#34937  by FurmAlum
 Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:15 am
Reporter to Dabo: "Where do you plan on ranking Ohio State on your ballot on Monday? :D Would have loved to be able to ask that question.

Kind of enjoyed seeing Clempson have their ass handed to them.
 #34942  by mathprofhiker
 Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:17 am
When they asked Dabo in the post-game about ranking Ohio State 11th, here is what he had to say:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... tate-no-11

I have mixed feelings about the outcome last night. I feel bad for the local folks, but I'm glad to see some "new" blood: both FBS and FCS need some more competitive balance. And I don't think anyone is going to beat Alabama this year.
 #34943  by cavedweller2
 Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:27 am
mathprofhiker wrote:

I have mixed feelings about the outcome last night. I feel bad for the local folks,
I don't. They've gotten too big for their britches around here and need to be taken down a notch or two. Especially the younger ones who don't remember when they struggled.
GOAT liked this
 #34947  by Furmanoid
 Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:28 pm
I’ve rooted for them since the Red Parker times. I think you’re right that people don’t fully appreciate how crazy it is that Clemson is even in the top 10 every year let alone the top 4 after so many years when just beating Carolina was good enough. This year they were completely over rated and it was obvious from the first game. Their D line was freshmen and sophomores and just not strong enough. Venables had to try to hide it. The o line was just terrible. They had a top notch running back but had to use him as a receiver all year because they can’t run block. This was a rebuild year and they shouldn’t have been in the playoffs.
 #35118  by apaladin
 Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:29 pm
mathprofhiker wrote:
When they asked Dabo in the post-game about ranking Ohio State 11th, here is what he had to say:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... tate-no-11

I have mixed feelings about the outcome last night. I feel bad for the local folks, but I'm glad to see some "new" blood: both FBS and FCS need some more competitive balance. And I don't think anyone is going to beat Alabama this year.
Don’t see how you can call Ohio St. new blood as they were there last year, have been there more than anyone else except CU and Bama. They are one of 5-6 teans that make up the CFP every year.
Affirm, Paul C liked this
 #35125  by Furmanoid
 Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:36 am
My wife is a Buckeye so I follow them closely (we go to watch parties every week in normal years). Their recruiting has reached a level that puts them in a position of total dominance in the B1G- just like Clemson in the ACC. They will be in the thick of it forever. It is more likely that someone will rise up and challenge CU than OSU. And that doesn’t look too likely.
 #35145  by JohnKX512
 Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:23 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:28 pm
I’ve rooted for them since the Red Parker times. I think you’re right that people don’t fully appreciate how crazy it is that Clemson is even in the top 10 every year let alone the top 4 after so many years when just beating Carolina was good enough. This year they were completely over rated and it was obvious from the first game. Their D line was freshmen and sophomores and just not strong enough. Venables had to try to hide it. The o line was just terrible. They had a top notch running back but had to use him as a receiver all year because they can’t run block. This was a rebuild year and they shouldn’t have been in the playoffs.
OSU had a game plan and practiced for all of Clemson's weaknesses. I watched the game again yesterday.

1. Clemson is over rated and do not play the caliber of teams needed to prepare them for a bigger opponent. Playing Notre Dame twice was their only real match up.
2. Fields is a quick and smart QB, Clemson has not had to defend that.
3. OSU knows that Clemson can adjust defense and steal signs (Venables is a master at this)
Their solution was to huddle on half the snaps and throw off any type of reads

I counted 4 times that the ball was set and Fields made an adjustment. Then Clemson would look to the sideline for a play call - Then Fields snapped, making the D-Line have a delayed response, every time a big play.
 #35147  by Furmanoid
 Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:06 pm
After watching Sermon run all over Northwestern I knew the Tigers were sunk. Their d line is mostly true freshmen and sophomores. They were pretty bad all year. Making exactly the right calls (guesses) was their only hope.

The o line is bad year after year, but Elliot works around it. I think the d line will be better next year and they’ll be right back in it. OSU loses all of their offensive production after this year. Not sure they can reload as well as Clemson. I think Uiagalelei is better than Lawrence.
 #35153  by cavedweller2
 Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:46 pm
Lawrence = Ryan Leaf
 #35156  by JohnKX512
 Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:16 pm
I can not wait to watch Georgia v Clemson next year. Both because of the old school match up and because of the beginning of a real football season.

Bama 42 OSU 32

Georgia 49 Clemson 20
 #35157  by Furmanoid
 Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:19 pm
JohnKX512 wrote:
I can not wait to watch Georgia v Clemson next year. Both because of the old school match up and because of the beginning of a real football season.

Bama 42 OSU 32

Georgia 49 Clemson 20
Both scores look right but backwards.
 #35160  by JohnKX512
 Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:27 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:19 pm
JohnKX512 wrote:

Bama 42 OSU 32

Georgia 49 Clemson 20
Both scores look right but backwards.
Bama 49 OSU 20

Georgia 42 Clemson 32

Fixed it for you

Recent Topics

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:09 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.